1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ventless Gas Fireplace

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by kris77, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dec 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    Looking for a ventless Gas Fireplace. Anybody have experience with these?

I dont have a fireplace, so it couldnt be an insert. It would have to be free standing in a corner or on a wall. I could do a cut out in the wall and recess it a little, but not much.

My question is, Where to get one fairly cheap? And if i recess it into a wall, do i need to fireproof the wall in anyway?

2. Dec 15, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I used a 40,000 BTU vent free gas heater at our last house until the ignitor took a crap and I didn't want to mess with it. It had a fan and hung on the wall.

It's difficult to find them around here due to liability issues. My wife was always worried when I ran it but we never had any issues.

3. Jan 14, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    timkins42

timkins42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fishers, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black Tacoma 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab
    None so far
    I used one for about 2 years in my garage and it put so much moisture in the air all of my tools started to rust. I now use it strictly for emergency heat in case the power goes out.

4. Jan 14, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i have ventless propane logs in my fireplace, the flue is closed on the chimney. i have had no issues with it. it heats the house up fast. no smoke, no stains on the ceiling, no moisture issues. they are 100% efficient so none of your money goes up the chimney. I got my mom a small "Charmglow" ventless stand alone that she loves. it was only a couple hundred bucks and it works great. They all come with a sensor that will shut the gas off if the CO level in the house gets too high or if the O2 level gets too low, something like that. i also have a CO detector / reader about 5 feet from my gas logs and its never detected any. and yes it works.

they are not great for a small, confined area, like a garage, basement.... it will say it in the direction and your installer will tell you that.

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    A friend of mine got one at a Home Depot clearance sale for about 1/2 price...still a couple hundred bucks. His is a free standing unit that has a separate mantle that goes around it. It looks nice, almost like a real fireplace.
    I'm interested in the insert type as we have a fireplace that's damaged and not usable.
    Post pictures if you get one.

Products Discussed in

To Top