1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Verizon's new shared data plan

Discussion in 'Technology' started by TacoDawgfan, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Jun 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    So I'm sure most have heard this but if not then here ya go. http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57450763-94/verizon-unveils-share-everything-family-plans-for-data/

I just wanted to see people's opinions on this. Seems like another ripoff to me. :mad: I'm behind on the times due to the high cost of these data plans therefore still have a "dumb phone" :eek: I've been wanting to upgrade to an Iphone or smart phone but can't justify the cost. So I was hoping this new plan would be a break. Doesn't seem to be the case. Of course I don't know how much data I'd use, wouldn't think me or my wife would use that much providing we use wi-fi when at home or other possible places but my step-daughter I'm afraid would ruin us. :rolleyes: I like the idea of the shared data but $40 per smart phone? WTF? Of course we're under contract until Nov. But I've been watching, anticipating an upgrade when time comes. Now I'm considering switching providers as I've read many Verizon customers are saying also. So maybe another provider will come up with a more competitive plan by then? Anyway just wanted other opinions. I kinda think Verizon made a mistake and will change, that is if people really do start switching providers.

2. Jun 30, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Wait to Nov because iphone 5 will come out at that time.
    Most people will not use more than 2G data, like just send recieve email, facebook, a bit on youtube.

3. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I agree about waiting. My step daughter is driving us crazy about "needing" an Iphone. She says she can't survive w/o it. :rolleyes: She'll be headed off to college this fall (out of state) and claims she has to have a smart phone. I know this is just and excuse. Hell, she's got a laptop and the school will have wi-fi. :rolleyes: But I'm really wanting to upgrade. Not that I have to have data, but w/o it the phone selection is crap. Just another gimmick to get me to spend more. :mad: But there have been many occasions that I wished I had a smart phone. I tried internet on my "dumb phone" but quickly realized why nobody does this.

Bottom line is for me, is that I already pay for internet at home, why should I have to pay 3 times as much to have it on my phone? :mad: Unless I'm missing something, why can't the two be combined?

4. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
  5. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I refuse to get one of those plans til they force them on everyone. After taxes/fees I'm already paying over like $105 a month for my phone and that's currently with unlimited data. I'll be paying more and getting less probably. Sure, they give you unlimited minutes but I don't use that many so that does nothing for me. And I don't use any other devices really I have wireless in the house so I have no need to share it across all sorts of devices. And I typically use more than 2gb streaming Pandora, etc. at work. You really get fucked when you have your own plan. Anyone want to go on a family plan with me? lol

6. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    This is actually gonna be good for me. I am on my own plan and I have to pay a hair over $100 per month for my phone bill. I am on Verizon and I have 450 talking, unlimited text and unlimited data. Well after reading that article I checked to see how much data I actually use and I am not even close to 1 gb and I think I use data all the time (and my billing cycle ends on the 9th). Looks like I need to change my plan.

7. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    I have unlimited data from a contract almost 2 years old. 700 shared minutes 500 texts with 2 smart phones. If i upgraded I wold pay about $22 more and be restricted to 2gb. I asked why the hell I should pay more for less and they told me "you hardly get close to using 2 Gb so it's like owning a ferrarri to go to and from work, it's not needed." I explained that I had to get a smart phone for my wife because the dumb phone upgrades were less capable than the 2 year old phone we already had. The guy told me but the smart phone is so much more capable even if my wife rarely uses it. I told him for $30 more a month It's kinda like being forced to buy a ferrari to go to and from work. Our conversation quickly ended.

It would be cheaper if it was a family of 4 sharing a "little bit" of data but for a family of 2 it is more of a rip off. As long as I don't sign a new contract I get to keep my unlimited data.

8. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    Using the plan estimator on their website, I think my bill would go down about $15-20 if we switched. I barely use a gig and my wife uses even less (may change when we upgrade her, but I doubt we'll go over 2).

9. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    My contract ends in December though and I have been thinking about switching to Straight Talk now that they support Android.

10. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Well this plan "could" actually be a few dollars cheaper for us but that is pending on how much data my step daughter would use. I'm sure me and my wife wouldn't use that much but I know my step daughter and the fact that no matter how much I tell her to use wi fi when available, she'll be too lazy to switch it over. And you know teenagers, she'll use it constantly. Hell, she RARELY ever actually talks on her phone, text text text constantly. But regardless even if it is a few $ cheaper it still screws everyone over imo.

And her excuse for "needing" a smart phone is that everything is done by email now. Really? She has a part time job and apparently when they "call" her into work it's done by email. WTF? If my company needs me to come in then good luck with that if that's how they do it because I don't read my email that often. 98% of is junk anyway. :rolleyes:

11. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I've considered this also. Choice of phones is very limited though, and apparently they use At&t towers for the most part. I keep hearing how At&t has so many problems with their service. :notsure:

12. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Really? Dude I work with has it and he says they use Verizon/Sprint towers lol and yeah the phone selection might be small but it is unlimited everything for $45 a month from what I have been told.

13. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    I was told be Verizonn the average person uses less than 2 Gb. My wife uses very little, really only when I am using her phone for the internet. If you have a small data share and only one person uses a lot and the rest don't It would probably be cheaper and all would have access. I don't know if I would switch from Verizon yet because the coverage I get is good. I travel A LOT and never really have any issues. I am still looking around for a better deal though.

14. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    It depends on the phone but all the smart phones as far as I could tell are At&t. My sister has it but not a smart phone and hers is a Verizon one. I may be wrong on this. This is what my father told me. But he was informed somewhere that if you look at the phones and see the US coverage map, if it is blue it was one and red was the other. Cant remember which was which but every smart phone I looked at had the At&t color which I think was blue. :notsure: But I was looking online, not sure if it was different in stores vs the pics online though.

15. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Also just got off the phone with my brother, they just got Iphones 4-5 months ago. He told me he uses his all the time and has yet to go over a gig. So based on this, makes me feel much better. I've been on the understanding that with a smart phone the usage goes fast.

16. Jun 30, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    All the app updates, I just wait til I'm home and use the wifi. same thing with the downloads. I use pandora quite a bit at work also and still hover around a gig at most. I break a gig only if I am traveling (stupid airport wifi can get expensive).

17. Jul 1, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
  18. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    I don't understand this whole crazy usage stuff.
    I'm 21, use my iPhone a lot. Fb, surfing the forums, etc. Even when I used my phone practically 6 hours straight at my old job I never went over 2 gigs/ month.
    I just checked my usage and in the last 9 months I've used 8 gigs.

Do you guys really use your phone THAT much?

19. Jul 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    Lucky for me I got grandfathered in for unlimited data. My Galaxy S3 comes in next week. I only pay 62 a month for unlimited web, text and 500 minutes.

20. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    What kind of data usage? It's my understanding if you watch videos it will eat it up in a hurry. But that is what I'm trying to get a feel of, of how much data we'll need/use? As I said earlier, I think me and my wife would be fine, it's my 18 year old step daughter I'm worried about. But I can't really do anything until Nov. anyway, just trying to get my homework done early.

Products Discussed in

To Top