1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Versitile dash mounting options for all your electronics....

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by krazyscot, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jan 5, 2016 at 4:42 PM
    krazyscot

krazyscot [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Colorado Springs
    I may have overstated slightly, but was looking at www.rammount.com and noticed a track system that might be an excellent choice for the new dashboard on the tacoma.

Take a narrow piece of track (7/8 wide) and in variety of lengths, I was thinking 8 or 12 inches long and install along shelf above the multimedia screen (need to check clearance under the trim or slightly further back on the actual dash. The track I was looking at can come with a backer metal to further strengthen the track's connection to the track.

Onto this track, you can attach a variety of ball mounts, and be able to change mount as needed, or for clean look, remove mounts leaving just the tidy track until next time you need to mount something. Ram mounts are used by the military (I know this doesn't necessarily mean great quality, but I've been impressed with their systems and use their cell phone holder).

http://www.yakattack.us/GT90_12_1PK_p/gt90-12.htm For one type of track system

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-383U

ram mount on track.jpg ram 1 and half mount.jpg

Due to my current budget issues, this mod is on hold till later in the year, but thought others might be interested in trying this out sooner than I can.

2. Jan 30, 2016 at 3:57 PM
    HalfWayThere

HalfWayThere Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    I was thinking of something along these lines, but with a bunch of holes so you had flexibility in where you mounted the Ram balls. This looks even better and more flexible.

I was just searching for info on how to take the radio surround off and stumbled on your post.

I wonder if those Ram track mountable balls would work on the roof rack tracks on my SnugTop?

Thanks.

Also, "in" for any updates.

3. Feb 17, 2016 at 9:49 PM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    I pulled the radio surround off last night. I just got my fingers under it at the glove box end and pulled hard until that end came loose and worked my way across. The surface I want to mount to is not square and is recessed relative to the colored part of the trim. I have a couple ideas on how to mount a rail (or something) to the surround. It seems stout enough to support decent weight if one were to use good backing plates. I'm going to order some t-slot rail and see what I can come up with.

IMG_1608.jpg

krazyscot[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 3, 2016 at 12:00 PM
    krazyscot

krazyscot [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Colorado Springs
    how's the install going? Did you manage to make it work okay? I'm really looking forward to your results, would like to mount my GPS off a rail in that location.

5. Mar 3, 2016 at 12:36 PM
    vuTron

vuTron Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD O/R DCSB AT
    subd

6. Mar 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    I started a thread on my attempts so far. It's at the "meh" stage currently.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/experiments-related-to-using-ram-mounts-above-the-radio.418903/

There's more details in the thread, but in short, what I have so far is fine for the cell phone, but no-go for the tablet. I have parts (including a rail setup that's not as nice as what you found) coming in for my next attempt, but it's likely to be a week or two before I make any real progress on improvements.

Products Discussed in

To Top