1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

very bad problem..

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Nitronick, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM
    Nitronick

Nitronick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    So the other morning i was on my way to work at 430 am and i was going around a corner and a man hole cover was sticking up at about a 30 degree angle, swerved and completely nailed it with my front right tire..soo i keep on going to work. noticed that when i go over 30 my truck starts to shake, over 40 it gets worse..and so on. so i thought it was maybe my tire was off balence, so i checked if any weights were gone..but they were all still there. so i rotated the tire to the rear to make sure it wasn't the tire. soo now i have noise whenever i brake or gas that sounds like something is loose, or is slipping forward and backwards.. any thoughts? i checked my ifs on the right side, and it seems all fine and tight.. kind of out of ideas now. anything would help:confused:

2. Apr 3, 2012 at 1:59 AM
    Anthony250

Anthony250 Ex Fabricator

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Rialto CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma LT Prerunner
    LSK Race Kit, King Shocks, Methods, Glassworks, Baja Designs, Built by myself.
    Check the tire it hit for any bumps.

3. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    dented rim? brakes?

4. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:28 AM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    Take that wheel off and poke your nose around.

5. Apr 3, 2012 at 2:34 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Odds are, the rim is tweaked, the tire has a broken belt, and your suspension sustained some damage. Take it in and have it inspected, tires balanced and aligned to find out. Otherwise, you will only find obvious damage.

6. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    Nitronick

Nitronick [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Oregon City, OR
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5 v6 3.4
    nope not tire. rim is fine, no cracks or dents no weights missing. brake is fine, rotated it freely. not my allienment, its rotating up and down not side to side. It just sounds like a big part of my ifs is loose and its moving back when i give it gas, and forward when i brake..

7. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Could have loosened the LCA bolt. Have you had it re-aligned? Something might have bent from the impact. Proper alignment can't be checked visually. Tell the alignment shop what happened so they actually look to see if anything is bent and don't just try to realign something that might be bent.

Can you shake the wheel without moving the truck, indicating a bearing issue?

8. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    I doubt you'll figure this out on your own, so my suggestion would be to take it in, balance the tires get it aligned and go from there. Alignment shop has probably seen this happen so get as much info as you can, that way we can all know what's going on.

9. Apr 3, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    You may have bent the strut. I did that on a mustang once. Chick wasn't even that hot I was looking at either. lol

10. Apr 3, 2012 at 8:07 AM
    BeerHat

BeerHat Got Beer?

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner 4x4
    PreRunner 4x4, Homebrew Front Bumper, Homebrew Sliders, Homebrew Skids, Homebrew Bedbar, Homebrew Beer
    I would second what Skytower said. Also, just because it was moved to rear does not mean that the tire/rim is fine, a broken belt will still vibrate the truck.

11. Apr 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Damage to tires, rims, and suspension are not usually able to be seen. Just because the weights are there only means they weren't knocked off. It does not mean the rim is good.

Balancing the bare rim will tell you if the rim has been bent. Bent=discard(especially with aluminum rims). With a known good rim, balance the suspect tire. Balance=ok. Personally, I wouldn't trust a tire that has taken a very hard hit. That's my head talking, not my wallet. My head knows best; the wallet is a cheap bastard.

Products Discussed in

To Top