1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vF Tuner for the 3.5L Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Rafael@OVTune, Apr 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 23, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    BortisYeltzen

BortisYeltzen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Barrett
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off-road DCLB
    OV Tuned, Bilstein TRD Pro lift, ECGS bushing, Heated Clazzio's, RCI SKID TRILOGY, BAMF sliders, ARE V-Series shell, RokBlokz flaps, more to come
    No worries dude. Here is what I think you were after. Load it in vF and use the compare to see what all I tweaked vs. what you posted. I did my best to match @Mooseditty17 and @PapaRee latest versions. I thought I was pretty thorough in this, but they've been so busy it can be hard to keep up with all their changes. I got throttle, ACIS, airload, gear lock, and shift points for both D and S, etc...

**Edited, I forgot to smooth the Accelerator Throttle Request to Airload map and fuel cut offs. I made the update to the file attached below. "Should" now have all the MD and PR updates. I keep finding nuggets as I look closer.

For all, this is a 04A61 Premium Gearlock tune that mimics @Mooseditty17 and @PapaRee latest versions. I'm running the 04B04 version with some AGM and other minor tweaks and it's super solid on my truck. How it translates to the A61 ECU is TBD. Plan to load it on a friends truck next week.

As always, I recommend everyone loads and inspects my work before flashing. I do it with other user tunes as well. If I missed something, please keep me honest.

Also, @OVTune any chance you’ll develop the function where we can select the entire map on the left map tree and copy and paste it into another tune? That would save massive amounts of time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. Oct 23, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    DownhillDragon

DownhillDragon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro AT Cement - POWERTHIRST v2.4 Tuned
    POWERTHIRST Tuned - My Custom OVTune SSO Slimline Bumper with Stage 2 Kit + BajaDesigns 20" Light bar with Amber Backlight + Smittybilt Winch x2o 10,000lb Synthetic CaliRaisedLED Step Edition Rock Sliders SUSPENSION FRONT A.D.S. - 2.5 Adjustable Dampening Remote Resi Fronts Dirt King Upper Control Arms SUSPENSION REAR A.D.S - 2.5 Smoothie Piggy Back "Rear" Shock With Compression Adjuster Deaver Leaf Pack Cab Mount Relocate by Triple-C Chop Shop, Lago Vista, TX Nitro Gear 5.29 BFG KM3 35x12.5x17 Fuel Rebel6 17" Wheels + Full-size Spare + Rhino-Rack Spare Wheel Strap 4x Rigid Cube Ditch Lights + Cali Raised Ditch Light Hood Mount Brackets + Cali Raised Ditch Light Extension Brackets + 3x Cali Raised Switches + Light Switch Mount Bracket Snugtop Camper Shell with Carpeted Ceiling and Mounting Tracks Prinsu Top Rack and Cab Rack Hi-lift Jack + Hi-lift Jack Mount on roof DEFEND INDUST Recovery Traction Tracks (knockoff Maxtrax) Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock (Round Key) 36" x 12mm K&N Intake Canvas 270 RV Awning Rooftop Sun Shelter + Prinsu Awning Brackets Fire Extinguisher w/mount Campbell Hausfeld FP209499AV - 3 Gallon Air Compressor
    got a couple questions for yall, since i'm just getting started (couple days ago) and i've dug through this thread a ton and can't find answers to these... so if they're already out there, please point me in the right direction. for reference, i'm in a 2017 trd pro AT on 33's, and stock gears until the Nitro 5.29's go on here in about a week.

so on @Mooseditty17 's recommendation, i'm running the normal 2.0 premium thx version for my 04b04 setup for a week or so before I dive off trying other stuff, so I have a base for comparison. so far so good! can't wait to try his latest iteration though...

here goes:

1) I plugged into my buddy's taco yesterday and it has a 04b03, and i want to throw the normal 2.0 reg thx version on his so he can try it out. I understand i'll need to unlock another ECU ID for $75, and i'm about to go through that process to request credits and whatnot. however, since all I was sent originally were the 04b04 2.0 files when I got this all set up, do I need to request the 04b03 files from Mat over at OVTune as well? Do I automatically get license to use the Taco files for the other ECUs since I paid the $400-ish for them for my ECU ID? or what defines the differences in the maps/tables for the various ECU IDs anyways, how different are they from eachother?

2) once I get the hang of this, i'm planning on tuning my own truck with the knowledge I glean from you geniuses over the coming months, so i'm curious what it will take to transfer my improvements to the other ECU IDs I'll encounter so I can play with other people's tacos as well? And will those same general teachings apply to my buddy with the 2020 Tundra, or my buddy with a lexus RCF, or V6 Camry, for example? Obviously different cars' maps have completely different values, and even different numbers of gears, but will the general theory i pick up for tuning a tacoma apply to other cars?

3) So when I first flashed the 2.0 to my truck, i followed the instructions PDF to the letter. The initial 20 mile test drive after was great, but things have kinda gotten mellower in the next 30-50 miles. after reading more of this thread tonight, I learned that hitting the "Reset LV" and "Reset AT" buttons on the Toyota Flash Tool (after you flash) are buttons that do stuff. but what stuff? what do those do? I was guessing something to do with resetting the learning functions of the ecu as far as transmission and maybe VVT-i are concerned?

appreciate anyone who has the time to answer those!

3. Oct 23, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    Mattchew

Mattchew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Coquitlam, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 tacoma TRD sport
    Toytec boss lift Ultralight racing adjustable UPC K&N cold air intake Magnaflow Catback exhaust All LED lights Oemassive headlights with HID LED pods in rigid fog light mounts 50" curved windshield LED Caliraised side shooter ditch mount LED Behind grill 30" LED SSO slimline bumper with LED bar and smittybilt x20 synthetic winch TED PRO taillights with diode dynamics brake as turn controller LED bed lights LED running board lights LED under hood light Line-x trifold hard tonneau cover Switchpros system Yaesu vhf radio
    So running this version of tune from @Mooseditty17. Went for a good drive with combination of highway and hill climbing. On the flat it is great. Really happy with how everything shifts and performs. My complaint was doing the mountain hill climbs. When it is in 3rd gear going about 70km/hr. It doesn't seem to want to shift into 4. Had to manually do it. Sometimes it would but typically it stayed in and would just run at a higher rpm. I am assuming this is the talk that's going on currently? But would like some tips to modify this part

4. Oct 23, 2020 at 9:34 PM
    ktbell444

ktbell444 One who throws exceptions

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    ᚺᛖᛚᚺᛖᛁᛗ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Pro - Army Green
    • Update his ECU ID from 04B03 to 04B04 first, especially if you're already on 04B04. Instructions can be found here
    • But if you just want to flash tunes without updating (or flash tunes for any 3rd gen supported) you do not need to unlock the ECU. You only need to unlock the ECU ID if you wish to edit the tunes.
    • You can get the uneditable tunes here
    • Not sure what the differences are to be honest
    That's the scope of my knowledge. Hopefully someone else can assist you with the remainder of your questions.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  5. Oct 23, 2020 at 9:40 PM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    I’m pretty sure it’s $75 for 4 credits, and 4 credits per ecu.

ktbell444[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Oct 23, 2020 at 9:43 PM
    ktbell444

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    ᚺᛖᛚᚺᛖᛁᛗ
    Vehicle:
    Ah, you are correct. I never looked at actually purchasing them because I don't need them. I'll edit my post. Thanks for pointing that out.

RushT[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 23, 2020 at 9:45 PM
    DownhillDragon

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    POWERTHIRST Tuned - My Custom OVTune SSO Slimline Bumper with Stage 2 Kit + BajaDesigns 20" Light bar with Amber Backlight + Smittybilt Winch x2o 10,000lb Synthetic CaliRaisedLED Step Edition Rock Sliders SUSPENSION FRONT A.D.S. - 2.5 Adjustable Dampening Remote Resi Fronts Dirt King Upper Control Arms SUSPENSION REAR A.D.S - 2.5 Smoothie Piggy Back "Rear" Shock With Compression Adjuster Deaver Leaf Pack Cab Mount Relocate by Triple-C Chop Shop, Lago Vista, TX Nitro Gear 5.29 BFG KM3 35x12.5x17 Fuel Rebel6 17" Wheels + Full-size Spare + Rhino-Rack Spare Wheel Strap 4x Rigid Cube Ditch Lights + Cali Raised Ditch Light Hood Mount Brackets + Cali Raised Ditch Light Extension Brackets + 3x Cali Raised Switches + Light Switch Mount Bracket Snugtop Camper Shell with Carpeted Ceiling and Mounting Tracks Prinsu Top Rack and Cab Rack Hi-lift Jack + Hi-lift Jack Mount on roof DEFEND INDUST Recovery Traction Tracks (knockoff Maxtrax) Trimax ST30 Trimaflex Spare Tire Cable Lock (Round Key) 36" x 12mm K&N Intake Canvas 270 RV Awning Rooftop Sun Shelter + Prinsu Awning Brackets Fire Extinguisher w/mount Campbell Hausfeld FP209499AV - 3 Gallon Air Compressor
    Super helpful, thanks... didn't realize the ECU's could be updated, so that will save one of the ECU IDs for future projects (already have some buddies with Tundras, V6 Camrys and an RCF that want me to see what I can do for them, so i already bought 20 credits for 5 ECUs... it's game-on now). Going to go download TechStream now so I can figure that out and do the 04B04 update for the O4B03 buddy, and get some experience there.

8. Oct 23, 2020 at 10:32 PM
    PapaRee

PapaRee Pro Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport, Tuned, BHLM OEM LEDs
    GTS Dobinson's lift-2.75", 33"-Wildpeak Atw3-18x9 -6 Offset ,265/70/18 tires, Raceline Assault wheels, Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    On these tunes the primary up shifts were increased, especially on acceleration, it will hold gears longer until you decrease (let off) the throttle. It looks at the throttle angle and vehicle speed.
    If you want to change them, look at the primary up shift tables. Compare them to 2.0 and you’ll see the increased values. You could always decrease them in specific gears to suite your needs. Or copy 2.0’s upshift tables.

9. Oct 24, 2020 at 12:51 AM
    Tharris242

Tharris242 Technically

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDOR DCSB 4X4 A/T FP TO BL
    Solid Fold 2.0, Air Dam
    I wonder if they are trading power and smoothness for placebo.

Here is a first gear pull with stock/OV 3650 ACIS. Definitely a little kick in air flow after the ACIS switch.
    upload_2020-10-24_2-29-30.jpg

Here is a first gear pull with the 3400 ACIS 'mod'. Definitely a reduction in air flow after the ACIS switch.
    upload_2020-10-24_2-32-7.jpg
    (Yes, I have done all the first gear full throttle hacks.)

Also, notice that ACIS does not appear to just open or close at one rpm. It appears to also have a half/neutral/both position with multiple changes throughout the rev range. We don't seem to have full control (yet?). But, it looks like Toyota may have got the stock settings right.

10. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    Mooseditty17

Mooseditty17 Seasoned Rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR : M+W Nexus Tuned
    Tune: Nexus +P Add ons: +3" custom suspension 295/70/18 Yokohama M/T Tires KMC XD Grenade OR wheels KN intake Blackhawk MBRP Exhaust TJM Rock Crawler Bumper Lighting (+10 H.P.)
    Log what your throttle position is and lower the value of the next highest throttle position.

So let's say you're doing 60 MPH and your throttle position is approximately 28%
    Lower the value under the 52 axis 5-10 mph.

Or try lifting your foot. :D

PapaRee likes this.
  11. Oct 24, 2020 at 6:18 AM
    Mooseditty17

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    WI
    Vehicle:
    Tune: Nexus +P Add ons: +3" custom suspension 295/70/18 Yokohama M/T Tires KMC XD Grenade OR wheels KN intake Blackhawk MBRP Exhaust TJM Rock Crawler Bumper Lighting (+10 H.P.)
    The reason everyone changed the acis settings was per @OVTune's recommendation His findings on the dyno showed a sweet spot around 3,400.

12. Oct 24, 2020 at 7:13 AM
    ktbell444

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    ᚺᛖᛚᚺᛖᛁᛗ
    Vehicle:
    This is the greatest thing since the invention of electric razors.
    Couple of things I'd recommend:
    1. I agree with version numbering, but would add to include version numbers on each page as well. That way, as you make updates, I don't need to review each sheet just to find that I already made those changes and there was nothing new.
    2. I think your shortcut key for multiplying by a % is incorrect. I could only get it to work with Shift + 8, not Ctrl + 8 or Ctrl + Shift + 8. I know I've read in the past that others were having difficulty using that shortcut command so maybe it's different based on keyboards?
    3. One thing that confuses me with vF Tuner is when and how I can reset DTC, LV, and AT memory. Maybe add OVTune's recommendations on when to do it as well as how to do it. What conditions need to be met in order to successfully reset those values? For example, sometimes I go to reset LV and I get a "Completed unsuccessfully" status.
    4. For a future update to this, maybe you can add what maps are compatible between ECU ID's
    All in all, this is a great tool that I'll be using in the future for my tunes. I appreciate the work you did going through all the recommendations from others and summarizing it into one localized file. Keep up the good work!

13. Oct 24, 2020 at 8:47 AM
    ForceOfG

ForceOfG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    16' DCLB 4x4 Off-Road
    5.29 Yukons Stage 2 Icons 265/70/17 OVTuned
    In those runs what is the MAF reading at the top end of the RPM range? It may be placebo but it feels like the intake is able to recover sooner from the runner length change which could be why it feels better. The power difference feels negligible but the smoothness is a lot better. Also if you dig up an old post by Mat he mentioned that he also needed to do some intake VVT changes to get the full benefit of a lower ACIS activation.

Mooseditty17 likes this.
  14. Oct 24, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    dunlap837

dunlap837 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018QSDCLBSR5
    Enhanced Skinny Pedal
    Great stuff. Do you see the same behavior at mid throttle? That is where the stock tune really falls on its face.

IMO the ACIS isnt really that bad of an actor. If I hold a gear and run up through the rev range I don’t notice it too much. But on the stock tune it seemed you could downshift, intake valve advances, throttle opens, and acis state changes kinda all at the same time. With my higher shift points now I never get the 2 cycle surge, and I haven’t messed with acis. I think its just that I’m no longer making all of those things happen at the same time.

Mooseditty17 likes this.
  15. Oct 24, 2020 at 3:17 PM
    Mooseditty17

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    WI
    Vehicle:
    @tonered
    Just ordered myself a dedicated tuning laptop.
    All I do is download the software from Orangevirus.com onto the new computer, send send and my info to zendesk for a new registration key right? Then I can transfer all my tunes and such via a usb drive or something? Was there a wait for that, or is that an automated response?

b3itz and tonered like this.
  16. Oct 24, 2020 at 3:22 PM
    Mooseditty17

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    WI
    Vehicle:
    This dip bothers me. Like, A LOT!
    And it's on SEVERAL airflow maps.

SpeySquatch likes this.
  17. Oct 24, 2020 at 3:28 PM
    DownhillDragon

Member:
    First Name:
    Brody
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Hey Moose, when I was first getting set up, I wanted to be able to work from two computers (both main comp and my laptop), so I sent both codes to Mat to whitelist, but he said he could only do one, so I had to go with the laptop. However, you can still work on the tunes from both, the restriction is that you can only FLASH from one. So I've been doing everything from my main computer, and just have a google drive set up for the data files, so they're just automatically on the laptop when I want to go flash.

But yeah, Mat explained it to me, and you just email zendesk with the new code for your new laptop and he'll reply once it's switched to that one.

18. Oct 24, 2020 at 3:30 PM
    Mooseditty17

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    WI
    Vehicle:
    What's everyone's opinion on TC settings? I've got the slip lock raised by 5 mph on all maps for 4th gear as well as all full lock raised up 10mph on first two values and +5 on the remaining. I feel the lock up around 40mph now. Seems better being higher in the rev range. Not as noticable of an rpm dip. I've also eliminated any lock up in 3rd. Anybody running something similar that has logged this?

I just ordered a new laptop, and old laptop did a windows update, so I'm waiting to redo techstream at the moment.

19. Oct 24, 2020 at 3:32 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    It will take anywhere from a couple days to a week to get a new REG file. Although, you're existing computer with continue to work like normal.

I would be backing everything up. My favorite is the free storage that you get with a Gmail account.

Mooseditty17[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Oct 24, 2020 at 3:33 PM
    Mooseditty17

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    WI
    Vehicle:
    WHAT? I won't be able to flash on my new computer? Or it'll just remove the ability to do it from my old one? I'm ok with the latter of the two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
To Top