1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vF Tuner for the 3.5L Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Rafael@OVTune, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:18 AM
    PapaRee

PapaRee And now I'll do what's best for me

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black TRD Sport DCSB-Custom Tuned
    OVTune/VFtuner, Raceline Assault 18x9 -6 Offset wheels, Falken Wildpeak Atw3 33"-265/70/18 tires, GTS Dobinson's suspension lift 2.75", Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    Yes. That sounds right.
    I just know that gear-lock in the past betas used the low values (not 0) in the ECT maps.

CAG Gonzo likes this.
  2. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:21 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    OVTune/VFtuner, Raceline Assault 18x9 -6 Offset wheels, Falken Wildpeak Atw3 33"-265/70/18 tires, GTS Dobinson's suspension lift 2.75", Backflip G2 bed cover, Magnaflow exhaust, Pro tail lights, Pro fog lights, Pro grille, Raptor grille lights, Predator side steps, RedLine Hood Struts, Toyota bedmat, tinted windows, Retrofitted-BHLM-Amber Halo-Amber DRL-HID headlights, LED Highbeams, LED Hood Scoop lightbar, LED hidden bumper lightbar, LED under hood light, LED Bed lights, LED license plate lights, Tacoma tailgate 3d letters, Tacoma glovebox 3D letters, removed air dam, Custom TRD Sport emblems, Pro Shift Knob with Meso ECT Stealth button, Meso LED dome and map lights, Meso V3 smoked mirror turn signals, Meso Stage 2 Tail lights, Meso Mirror Puddle lights, Meso KC-5 Brake/Cargo light, Meso center console bucket with OG lid, Tailgate PNP kit, Garage door opener button in overhead console, Meso Minimalist keyfobs, Matte black Pro hood decal, KTJO4x4 Led door handle LED lights, Pioneer 6x9 3 way front speakers, Rockford Fosgate 6.75' rear speakers, TacoTunes tweeters, AJT black vent rings, JDM Gas cap cover.
    I don’t think anyone who just wants to update to 2.0 and has no desire to edit tunes should pay $79 for Vftuner.

cheesehomer likes this.
  3. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:36 AM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    I guess depending on what 2.X version he wants, that might make a difference? I recall recently Mat saying that changes were in the pipeline that would make it 'improper' to flash the latest tunes with the flash tool instead of VF? Correct me if I'm wrong so I can edit my posts.

<edit> Edited my earlier post based on @OVTune feedback downstream.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  4. Jan 9, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    You might be right.
    But damn!, I’d be a pissed off customer (and there are still many), if the updated version isn’t available to them. (Pay $79 to update???)
    Anyone who has a registered OVtune flash kit can flash .vft files. I know this is a fact. But for some reason everyone on here tells people to buy Vftuner.

5. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:08 AM
    disk_55FL

disk_55FL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    disk
    Buckeye
    '17 TRD Sport MT
    Support it ...... or lose it ? ...... there are few guarantees in life.

6. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

What are you talking about??

Since when is the updated version not available to them?

Half the time customers get pissed off with us because they read comments on here that are totally bogus and makes them believe something that isn't reality.

99.9% of our customers are very happy with their purchase.

AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO. I've said this multiple times.

Mr. Nobody, cheesehomer and tonered like this.
  7. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:22 AM
    wingsformyway

wingsformyway Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vancouver Island, BC, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT Cement Grey
    Blackout badges & tailgate inserts; interior blackout (vinyl)
    I gather this is because those options such as gearlock will be options you need to pick yourself in vFtuner over and above the 2,0 tune and that means you're editing a tune file and to do that you need to pay the upgrade fee.

to flash with vf anyone with original flash manager can do it. only dongle users can't out-of-the-box but it costs them -nothing- to be upgraded

8. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:24 AM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

No, that's not the case and I have explained this multiple times.

I've literally explained this multiple times, and I don't fault you if you don't know, but I'm sure the very vocal and active members on here like PapaRee would know, because I have explained so many times I cannot even count, that when we release the new version you can use it without vF Tuner you just will only get to use the preset ones, you won't have the option to do as much customization as you want.

This is not directed at you. But at the "rhetorical" questions being posted by a member here which the only purpose is to cause doubt and make people think they have to pay more, which has never been the case and he knows it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  9. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:25 AM
    skidooboy

skidooboy titanium plate tester

Member:
    central lower mich
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Sport OV Tuned, Cement
    diode dynamics light bar w/caliraised switch, trd cat back exhaust, OV tuning, trd skid plate
    has anyone been able to download the 1.2.7.8? the link on ov's site gives me 1.2.7.7. i am STILL trying to get vf tune to work. so many steps, so, hard to know if you are doing it right. i am basically beyond the point of identifying the ecu, cal etc... sent that info to zendesk.

i have 5 credits, i can see that. i guess i am waiting for vf to send me the ecu info, so i can select 04b33, to start the flashing, of the base tune, or updating/tuning from that tune, to flash?

i really appreciate you superusers helping us. this is frustrating for us but, i cant imagine it for you guys. hopefully i can learn more, and help others too but, right now, i am ready to have someone call me and talk via phone, to get me through this. willing to pay :D Ski

10. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    wingsformyway

wingsformyway Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vancouver Island, BC, CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB 6MT Cement Grey
    Blackout badges & tailgate inserts; interior blackout (vinyl)
    I understand now, thanks. I have paid the upgrade so it doesn't affect me but I'm trying to understand everything. I'm a visual and tactile learner and find it difficult when I don't have something to look at or play with. I'm sure I'll understand when this new version is released.

Sorry for unintentionally spreading misinformation. I'm honestly trying to be helpful.

11. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

No worries. It is not you spreading misinformation.

It's just the select few members on here, that post things just to cause a stir.

We have never said you have to buy vF Tuner to update to 2.0.
    We have never said that updates cost anything.
    and we have never said vF Tuner is required at all for older customers.

12. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR MT QUICKSAND
    What are you waiting on? The tune pack?

13. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune

Please be sure to check your SPAM folder, especially if you use gmail. Gmail automatically flags our emails as spam, we are still trying to get around it.

14. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    Chadr7858

Chadr7858 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD SHIT BOX
    All the mods; all the problems
    Hey haven't heard back via zendesk. Do we need to buy credits to unlock 04B33 if we did the tsb update?

15. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    skidooboy

Member:
    central lower mich
    Vehicle:
    diode dynamics light bar w/caliraised switch, trd cat back exhaust, OV tuning, trd skid plate
    i honestly dont know what i am waiting for at this time. i am following the instructions to the letter. i just sent the ecu identification info to zendesk. Ski

16. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR MT QUICKSAND
  17. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:46 AM
    skidooboy

Member:
    central lower mich
    Vehicle:
    never goes to spam, always regular inbox. i have hotmail. but, i still check my spam. i honestly dont know what i i am doing, or waiting on, or if i am doing it right or wrong. frustrated today... it is my birthday, i have gout in my foot that is flaring, and it was leg day at the gym... so, you can see i am not in a good place. :D i was hoping my computer literate wife, and I, could get this up and running today. Ski

18. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    OVTune

OVTune Well-Known Member

Member:
    OVTune
    If you don't have credits to unlock it, then yes you must purchase credits.

We are providing tune packs to people who update or their dealer updates them because they weren't given a choice, but we are not providing credits on top.

19. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    PapaRee

Member:
    First Name:
    Kreg
    Prairieville, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I was right! Thanks for backing me up.
    Like I said, if you don’t want to edit tunes, you don’t have to buy Vftuner. Updates are free!
    Thanks Mat.

20. Jan 9, 2021 at 8:55 AM
    RushT

RushT Amateur Everythingist

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    '18 DCSB TRDOR Inferno
    Sorry Mat, if my posts were off base (edited them above). I've apparently been under this misunderstanding that all OVTune tunes from here forward are .vft, and VFTuner is required for those. My bad. I'll just engage 'watch' mode :)

PapaRee likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top