1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Viair 450c mounting

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HAB, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Mar 14, 2018 at 8:09 PM
    HAB

HAB [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm working on figuring out mounting for a Viair 10007 kit, including a 450c compressor in my 2000, and have a few questions for anyone who might have gone down this route before. I've found a ton of info on doing this in 2nd gens, but not much for 1sts. I'm planning to put the tank above the rear diff, but haven't quite figured out the compressor placement. My truck has ABS, so the spot in the engine bay where the ABS module goes is out. For various reasons, I don't want to put it in the bed. The three remaining options that I see are:
    1. Under one of the front seats
    2. In the storage compartments under the rear seats, where the jack and factory tools are stored
    3. Underneath the bed, just behind the cab, outside of the frame rail.
    For 1 and 2, I'm concerned about noise. How loud is the compressor when it's operating? Option 3 seems ideal from a noise and space usage perspective, but I'm worried about the compressor getting dirty and wet up there. I can build a bit of a shield for it, but it still seems not great. What do you guys recommend?

2. Mar 15, 2018 at 1:04 PM
    pray4surf

pray4surf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner conv to 4x4
    F&R suspension, OBA, Custom bed rack, RTT, rear frame plates, 4x4 conversion from prerunner, many other
    If you are going to put the compressor where the elements can get to it, put it in an ammo-style box and attach that to the frame rail? My viair 460 is loud enough to be heard (some muffling) from within the cab - It's mounted where your ABS resides..

3. Mar 15, 2018 at 1:08 PM
    HAB

HAB [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks. I certainly don't need it to be dead silent or anything, but if I put it in the cab I'd like it to be comfortable to still be in there with it on. It's not like I'll be driving around with it on, but I don't want airing up tires to be a deafening experience for someone still sitting in the truck either. Any thoughts?

I guess I can always just slap some quick and dirty wiring together to do a test run, and wire it up properly if it's okay.

4. Mar 15, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    pray4surf

pray4surf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 PreRunner conv to 4x4
    F&R suspension, OBA, Custom bed rack, RTT, rear frame plates, 4x4 conversion from prerunner, many other
    That would be my approach... don't necessarily don't need to plumb the airline to the tank for the sound check - though I'd probably run the airline outside the truck just to eliminate the noise of the air rushing out the hose.

5. Mar 19, 2018 at 2:14 PM
    HAB

HAB [OP] Member

Member:
    Well, if anyone is curious, here's what I ended up doing:

-Air tank above the rear diff, bolted to the bed
    -Compressor under the driver's seat
    -Pressure switch and relay under the center console, zip tied to the bracket that the center console bolts to. I drilled some holes in the bracket to run zip ties through.
    -Gauge and power switch mounted in place of the ash tray

It's all pretty tidy, the wiring and air lines are all under the carpet. The air lines then go through the storage compartment under the rear seat, out the back of that through the rubber plug in the back, then along the top of the frame rail to the tank. Noise isn't bad at all.

pray4surf likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top