1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibration at 20mph '06 tacoma 4door trd

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Diveman0936, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Nov 3, 2006 at 5:25 PM
    Diveman0936

Diveman0936 [OP] New Member

Member:
    at 20mph I'm getting a vibration through the steering wheel with my foot on the gas. When I slow down and have my foot on the brake as the needle on the speedometer drops past 20mph I feel the vibration on the brake and steering wheel. I have the 5 speed auto 4x4 with the off road package, the truck is new with 1100 miles on it so far and has did this from day one. So far the toyota dealer can't find where the vibration is coming from. They can feel it they just can't find it.They have checked the axles, drive shaft, tires, brakes, steering wheel shaft. Any toughts as to what the problem might be?
    thanks, jw

2. Nov 4, 2006 at 8:38 AM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    THe only thing I can think of is it might be a tire balancing issue, have them re balanced and see it if resolves the problem if not I'm clueless.

3. Nov 4, 2006 at 6:32 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    I have to say the alignment of your wheels. i had that issue and had to return to the dealer. after returning to the dealer 3 times due to the custom rims/wheels. how it was finally resolved was rotating the tires when they start vibrating. So now that my tires need to be replaced, i will have to deal with it. This is my suffering for having a diva truck. :0)

4. Nov 17, 2006 at 7:46 PM
    blutaco06

blutaco06 Member

Member:
    I have almost the exact same issue. Same year same 4dr TRD. I don't notice it during acceleration just during slow down at 20mph and below. But I notice one more thing and I'm wondering if you notice the same. When initially applying the brake I feel in the brake pedal what could be described as ABS kicking in, but very slightly. However, I'm on dry pavement no bumps and slowing down gradually. I do have ABS w/EBD & BA along with VSC (which i've never had before) so I'm wondering, is it me or is this normal?

5. Nov 18, 2006 at 7:53 PM
    blutaco06

blutaco06 Member

Member:
    After closer investigation I believe the vibration, during slow down at 20mph, might be due to the AT not down shifting properly. (At least for me) The vibration is more like lugging the engine......you manual shift guy's know what that's like.....and it does not seem to happen unless I get up to about 40mph and above then slow down. If I only speed up to 30mph and slow down I do not notice it. Anyway I'm taking it in to the dealership to see what they say. However, the thing with the brake pedal is still a mystery.

Anyone else got any ideas?

6. Nov 18, 2006 at 10:38 PM
    archer of loaf

archer of loaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have read on another forum about people having vibration problems with the auto trannies, and odd gearshifting/hunting... I hope this is not true... Make sure everything is documented about the vibrations.

7. Nov 20, 2006 at 10:47 AM
    blutaco06

blutaco06 Member

Member:
    The dealership has my truck now. One of the techs actually drove it for a test drive with me and he experienced the same vibration. At least thats a step in the right direction. More to follow......

8. Nov 20, 2006 at 12:50 PM
    blutaco06

blutaco06 Member

Member:
    Just got a call from the dealership and now they are telling me that this is Normal.....H****S***! I've owned Toyota trucks since '84 and not one of them has ever had this vibration. We'll see what they say when I go pick it up. :mad:

9. Nov 23, 2006 at 7:08 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    I hope that everyone has checked to make sure that the trans fluid is at the right level.
    This is a trouble some problem, vibrations are not normal, that trans should be as smooth as butter while shifting.
    Perhaps you could hook up one of those on board diagnostics and see if there are any codes that show up. Or perhaps find the best transmission shop and have them drive it and see what they come up with. jeff

10. Mar 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    Any other info on this post? Would like to know.. if the dealership got it fixed.

11. Mar 7, 2007 at 5:01 AM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
    i had that prob with a dodge and the dealer turned the roters and it didnt happen again

12. Mar 10, 2007 at 2:13 PM
    sdupp

sdupp SC Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    White 07 PreRunner Double Cab SR5
    I've noticed the same problem when slowing down and the automatic transmission is down shifting @ around 20MPH. It's either third or second gear I feel the Vibration / Shuddering. I only have two thousand miles on my truck.. When I go in for it's first service I will mention the problem.

07 Tacoma Double cab PreRunner 4.0 V6 4x2 Auto Trans

13. Mar 11, 2007 at 8:32 AM
    jwtrd34

jwtrd34 Member

Member:
    If you are feeling it in your brakes that means somthing is not true. Like 2003 green bean siad he had his rotors turned and hasnt had a problem since. If you feel it in the steering wheel it is the front brakes. If you only feel it in the pedel then it is your rears. more than likely its the fronts since they do approx. 70% of the work. If I was you, I would go get my front rotors turned for starters, and go from there. And if you know of a shop with a Road Force Simulator wheel balancer, that machine can tell you if your tires are not true, so on and so forth. So try that out. My buddy is a L1 certified ASE Master Tech. so he can give me some answers.

14. Mar 12, 2007 at 2:28 PM
    austin-TX-Taco

austin-TX-Taco Member

Member:
    I'm new to this forum and a new Toyota owner. Friday before last I bought a new 07 Tacoma. I converted from Ford(F150 Supercrew Lariat off road 4X4). I think this new Tacoma (Dcab, V6, 4X4, TRD Sport, Towing, Super White)is about the best looking truck I've ever owned, and the engine performs very well to match (except for the darn exhaust tick). I'm having this same shuddering issue. I'm pretty familiar with breaks and tire issues. This is not that. At about 20MPH either accelerating or breaking the truck slightly shudders. I've noticed that if I shift the truck into N before breaking that it doesn't do it. I've done almost all my own auto maintenance for the last 20 years or so. I believe this is either the drive shaft, Tranny or Transfer case. I'm leaning towards the drive shaft. It must be a defective carrier bearing or shaft, maybe an unbalanced drive shaft. Not sure. Has anyone had any luck with the dealer actually solving the problem? I've noticed this issue mentioned in several of the forums on this site, but no one has actually mentioned resolution. It would be nice to be able to go to the dealer service knowing and informing what has solved the issue in the past. Also, what is the fix for the noisy exhaust tick? I found a TSB (EG021-06) for this issue but seems to be associated with the 05 and 06 and should have been fixed on the 07 with a new quieter type exhaust manifold.

15. Mar 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM
    austin-TX-Taco

austin-TX-Taco Member

Member:
    I found this on another Tacoma forum...

"I may have the correct answer to yours and a couple other correspondents on the driveline shutter at or around the 1-2 shift. It is without a doubt the splined slip-yoke located directly behind the driveshaft carrier bearing. These components are located halfway down the two part drive line. The spline is hanging up or binding.
    This splined component's job is to allow the driveline to shorten or lengthen as required by the wheelbase as the vehicle takes off or is stopping. All rear wheel drive vehicles have a splined slip joint either at their transmission or somewhere down the drive line after a carrier bearing. If this power transmitting spline does not move freely it will hang up. Usually, it with be felt on take away immediately from a stop sign or at the 1-2 shiftpoint.
    As on the Tacoma, these external splined slip-joints joints are sealed by a lip seal or as in the newer Tacoma, with a rubber boot. Older Tacomas had a grease fitting on this spline shaft to keep it moving freely. The new Tacomas appear to be sealed for life.
    After a few discussions with my local dealer it was time to take some affirmative action. I informed them that this problem was gradually getting worse and I strongly suspected the drive line slip-joint. I told them that unless they replaced the whole complete driveline, I would not be happy. I reminded them that this was a much cheaper solution than replacing the transmission, transfer case, and or the whole truck! They agreed. I inspected this slip joint before its removal and found that there was excessive clearance on the spline fit. I could move both male and female components 1/16" independently. This is not a good machining practice on driveline components. The resilient rubber mounting did not seem to be firm enough either. The two driveshafts, universals, carrier bearing, and splined slip-yoke are all one assembly and are replaced as a balance unit with a flange mount on either end!
    Two days ago the whole driveline was replaced. I'm happy to report that the shifting and whole operation of the driveline/transmission are as smooth as silk! The spline fit has no excessive clearance and the rubber in the carrier bearing mount is stiffer (This keeps driveline vibration inline at take away under high torque load situations.).
    I hope this information helps to solve your problem.
    Good Luck."

May be worth checking out.

16. Mar 16, 2007 at 2:55 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    austin-TX-Taco, great job on the driveline problem. Lets hope other taco users can speak to their dealers.
    Jeff
    06, 6spd, 4x4,acc cab, sr5

17. Mar 27, 2007 at 7:20 PM
    blutaco06

blutaco06 Member

Member:
    austin-TX-Taco,
    You may have hit the nail on the head. I was basically getting no where with the dealership and was about ready to ditch my truck for something else. (Sorry folks for the lack of posts) Too much work and not enough time to fight with a dealership especially when you don't really know where the problem lies and all they would tell me is that it was normal. However, now that I am armed with this information I will make another attempt.

Few Questions:
    How much give should there be in the resilient rubber mounting ring?
    I don't have much play side to side but quite a bit up and down. Might this also be caused by the spline slip joint not freely moving in and out?
    Putting my truck in neutral I was able to rotate the male and female components the same 1/16".

Thanks again for posting

18. Apr 5, 2007 at 4:39 PM
    fanofpre

fanofpre Member

Member:
    Hey Gang!

I've got an 06 Double Cab 4x4 w/ TRD..just passed 3K miles....had the vibration since 400........been in and out of the dealership shop the entire time...they've tried everything(road force balancing, switching out the driveshaft, engine mount check, true the rotors....) still there! I even got a second opinion at another dealership. After 3rd visit, they said there was "nothing else they could do about it at their level"...Regional representative came from Toyota...he said the truck was "operating w/in normal Tacoma specificiations"...this is such bull....my mechanic of 35 years predicted they would say this. So now, I'm entering arbitration. This problem is all over the web....it's not just "me", as my dealership would like me to think....I'm here in northern Va., and have seen this problem on Edmunds discussion groups, Toyotanation, Businessweek, etc. They'll have to admit it...the vibration is driving me nuts, as I'm often in I-95(N. Va.) stop and go traffic......it's worst right at 20mph. I've documented everything...Would be happy to share more with anyone....and will let you know how arbitration goes. BTW, I drove 4 new 07's, same equipment, and NO VIBRATION.....they're not as "customer service our #1 priority" as you might think. Please feel free to drop me an e-mail(I just joined this forum today, as I just found this discussion in my continued searching for documentation of this problem...) Thanks!

Barry
    kelseasdaddy@comcast.net

19. Apr 5, 2007 at 4:59 PM
    cazzerz

cazzerz Member

Member:
    Hey everyone. I too have this same vibration and I have 300 miles on my 2007 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road. I have yet to take the vehicle to the dealer, but will be checking into it soon as I need to take it in to have a fender flare painted that they scratched upon delivery. Let's hope they get this fixed. Lemon law and court and all is not fun. Been there twice and won twice, but not w/o a bunch of b__ s__! Well good luck to everyone and hope all gets fixed. Oh and just in case it matters, my Taco was built 10/06.

Thanks all!

20. Apr 6, 2007 at 12:33 PM
    blutaco06

blutaco06 Member

Member:
    It is indeed frustrating. I have not had time to take my truck back to the dealership yet. I do seem to notice it more when the weather is cold and it seems to not be so prevalent when we had the warm weather recently here in No. VA. I too drove a '07 model with the same setup but I noticed the vibration in that one as well but it just wasn't as noticeable. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this in the long bed version of the D cab. I know what warped drums feel like and I know what an out of balance tire feels like and it’s neither of those. I believe it to be either a drive shaft issue or a tranny issue. One question for "fanofpre".......Do you know if when they replaced your Drive shaft, did they replace it with one ordered from the factory or swap with one on the lot? (If they do that) It could be they just put another bad drive shaft on. Did you mark the drive shaft so you could tell they actually replaced it? (Do I sound dis-trusting of a dealership?) You betchya!

Products Discussed in

To Top