1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration at idle

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hotbrass, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Apr 14, 2008 at 7:25 AM
    hotbrass

hotbrass [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cowtown
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I have a 2005 2.7l automatic and I have had this problem since I bought it new. I have had it in three times and three different service managers have told me it is normal, everything checks out.

When I am sitting in drive at a stop light, after about 30 seconds a vibration sets in and continues to build to a very annoying harmonious vibration that makes the antenna wiggle.

Slipping it out of gear makes it go away. So I suspect it is in the drive train.

I did a search but could not find this mentioned in the forum.

Anyone have a problem like this?

Thanks!

Tom

2. Apr 14, 2008 at 7:41 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Your 2.7 LOVES to breathe and it posesses the same easyflo exhaust as the six..just my humble opinion..your exhaust system develops a vibe-and as you take the load off the engine you throw the harmonic off.

3. Apr 14, 2008 at 7:49 AM
    hotbrass

Member:
    Cowtown
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I am not sure I understand exactly how the exhaust system makes it vibrate when it is in drive.

So what is the solution?

4. Apr 14, 2008 at 8:14 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    When you are at idle in neutral the rpm's are slightly higher because there's no burden. When you put it in drive, there be the burden which slightly lowers rpms, exhaust load becomes a little more intense, and your exhaust system being long and taught anchored to the frame with rubber mounts can develop a harmonic vibration at a certain load/rpm. I would take it to the dealer or a muffler shop to have them eyeball it in action and see if they can reconfigure a mount or add one. One way to check it yourself-CHOCK a tire, put on the e-brake tight, run it in drive, lay ALONGSIDE the truck (not in the tire path) and watch things underneath. You might see that exhaust problem yourself. I could be wrong here too- I can't see your truck. But it does sound like it.

5. Apr 14, 2008 at 9:12 AM
    hotbrass

Member:
    Cowtown
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a look. I would not have thought that the exhaust system, being tied to the frame in many places, would have enough free mass to to do that, but sometimes it doesnt take much.

Anybody else have a theory?

6. Apr 16, 2008 at 7:05 AM
    hotbrass

Member:
    Cowtown
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Well, its not the exhaust system.

My mechanic suggested that the idle configuration be adjusted by a dealer, since they have the computer to do it. Since I have had it in 3 times for this and everything was "in spec", I doubt they would do anything different.

Any suggestions?

7. Apr 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    Gauntlet

Gauntlet Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Oswego, N.Y.
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    I don't know if I have the same vibration as you, but it started two days ago after the truck went back to be under coated and rust proofed. Started it up in the garage and when I put the automatic tranny into reverse I heard it. Sounds like the tail pipe vibrating on the rear fender. Should the pipe be touching the fender? The fender does have a curve or recess above the pipe, but I can't remember if it was touching before.

8. Nov 1, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    dustinclm

dustinclm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thibodaux, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White DC 4x4 V6
    Bilstein 5100 set at .85" WeatherTech Floor Mats
    i have the same exact problem as you hot brass, my truck as done this for as long as i can remember. when it gets bad enough i can here what sounds to be like my tail pipe hitting something which it could be since my exhaust isnt stock. but when i look at it, the pipe is not touching anything and its tight enough to where i cant shake it. but i believe it could be the exhaust. ill try the parking break idea in the next day or so and let you know but i would like to get it fixed because it it annoying

9. Jan 10, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    evskie53

evskie53 The Problem Child

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB Sport
    Did any of you ever find a solution to this problem? I've got the same problem as the OP and want to try and fix it myself.

10. Jun 25, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    shamus815

shamus815 New Member

Member:
    Bump. Same issue here. Any further insight would be much appreciated

11. Jun 26, 2018 at 3:47 AM
    blefferd

blefferd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Not sure if its an actual problem or not, my gen 1 2.7l would do this same thing. I had an auto though, and when I would stop at lights and what not, the RPMs would drop as the AC would cycle off the RPMs would drop down and cause it to do this, as soon as the AC cycled back on it would idle back up and smooth out. Sounds like the 2.7L is just a rough idiling engine.

Maybe check your engine mounts? Toyota has a really sweet 1980's video on youtube about vibrations.

Products Discussed in

To Top