1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration in first (automatic trans) when starting out only.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trouts2, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Sep 17, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    Each time I start out there is a very slight vibration of ~5-6 shakes. When starting everything is smooth for 10-20 feet then there is the 5-6 shakes that stop quickly and everything is fine continuing speeding up. The shake is only felt when starting out in low gear, no others or other speeds. There is no accompanying sound.
    The truck is a 2013 Tacoma access with good tires. The plugs are new. I've only had the truck a month. The dealer replaced the driveshaft and carrier bearing. There was no change in the shake.
    I've been told that this is a common issue but what is it? The truck is stock. There is not lift of anyting to get the body higher.

2. Sep 17, 2020 at 9:01 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    If you put the truck in L (1st) and leave it, does the shake still happen?
    Or is the sake just before a gear change?

gearcruncher likes this.
  3. Sep 18, 2020 at 6:25 AM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    My original description was not so clear.

The “shake” is 5-6 short vibrations. It happens in the following ways always at 4-5 miles an hour.

If I start out in D slowly it vibrates 5-6 times when I get to 4-5 miles an hour then everything is fine.

If I start out more aggressively it vibrates 5-6 times at 4-5 miles an hour then everything is fine.

In L 5-6 times at 4-5 miles an hour then fine.

In 2 5-6 times at 4-5 miles an hour then fine.

In reverse 5-6 times at 4-5 miles an hour then fine.

It is consistent that the 5-6 vibrations starting out in any gear setting (it is an automatic) the vibration happens at 4-5 miles an hour, forward gears or reverse does not matter.

4. Sep 18, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    mabepossibly

mabepossibly I know enough to make an ass of myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Manual
    Skids, Sliders, Lights
    How do your leaf springs look? Sounds like axle wrap to me.

trouts2[OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 18, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    The leaf springs look good to me. They are not rusted. I work on my own cars a bit
    but not a mechanic. The place I bought it from went over the issue but did not find
    anything. They replaced the driveshaft and support bearing as a possibility but that
    did not cure the vibration. A transmission place I talked with said it seemed like
    a torque converter but they did not have the truck to look at. ?

6. Sep 18, 2020 at 7:05 AM
    Fullboogie

Fullboogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner & 2008 4Runner
    Has your truck been lifted at all in the rear? Any blocks back there? Sounds like a possible pinion angle issue that is quite common with rear lift blocks that do not correct for pinion angle.

gearcruncher likes this.
  7. Sep 18, 2020 at 7:33 AM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    You probably missed in the initial post I mentioned the truck is all stock and no lift. I googled around and got hits on vibration issues with trucks with lift. I think there is a cure for that but don't feel the issue is related but I'm not a mechanic.

I just spoke with the place I bought the truck from and the once that did the evaluation of the issue. What they did was guess it was the drive shaft. The got a used driveshaft and carrier bearing. Replace mine, got the same vibration the took the used one out and put mine back in.

I have seen on the net that the issue was cured for a few people by just replacing the spark plugs. The dealer place was aware of that but did not try that.

Before I went to the dealer the truck was at a Toyota dealer for a frame recall. That was for the application of rust inhibitor not a full frame replace. Their master mechanic took it for a drive and mentioned that it could be as simple as plugs. He also said for diagnosis that the "drive" could be removed then driven. That would further isolate where the issue was. I did not understand what "drive" meant. He may have been referring to disconnecting the 4 wheel drive parts then drive it to eliminate that section as the problem. (?). I mentioned that to the dealer that replaced the drive and they did not do it. All they did was insert a used one then remove it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  8. Sep 18, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    Fullboogie

Fullboogie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2007 Prerunner & 2008 4Runner
    Yep, missed that part OP. Apologies.

9. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:49 AM
    mabepossibly

mabepossibly I know enough to make an ass of myself

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Manual
    Skids, Sliders, Lights
    The real answer may just be to stop thinking about it for a couple months. If it’s not the drive shaft, leafs, plugs, etc you could end up throwing a mountain of parts at it trying to find the problem. It doesn’t sound like a safety issue, so sometimes the best diagnostic tool is to put more miles on it until the worn part becomes more apparent.

trouts2[OP] likes this.
  10. Sep 18, 2020 at 9:31 AM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    mabepossibility:

I hear you. For now I’m going to poke around as I’m covered by the seller warrantee. A transmission place I spoke with said they saw similar issues and found it to be a torque converter. Who knows? I may pay for a diagnosis at a decent transmission local place or the official Toyota dealer close by. I would only start replacing parts if a decent diagnosis was done and fairly confident with it.

Your other suggestion to just ride it out until the problem (if there is one) reveals itself is a fair way to go also. It will probably be that unless a diagnosis very pointed. I would not mind paying $2-300 for a detailed diagnosis though just to get some peace of mind about it.

There is a TSB (T-SB-0249-12) that covers my truck, a 2013. It’s for a vibration at

15-25mph

The repair procedure first calls for a test drive to confirm the issue. There are special tips for 4WD trucks:

• Shift into 4WD High.
    • Lock the center differential.
    • Remove the rear driveshaft and test drive the vehicle.
    • The vibration will be completely eliminated if condition is a 2nd order driveshaft vibration.
    If the truck does have a vibration issue then this TSB applies.

There are multiple parts that could be causing the issue. The applicable warranty for all these parts is:

• EG8032 (R & R Engine Mount): This repair is covered under the Toyota Powertrain Warranty.
      This warranty is in effect for 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    • SU1222 (R & R Leaf Springs) and ST1202 (Install Steering Wheel Damper): This repair is covered under the Toyota Basic Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
    • Warranty application is limited to occurrence of the specified condition described in this bulletin.
    The Fix

1. Replace the Rear Engine Insulator (Rear Transmission Mount).
    2. Test drive the vehicle again to see if issue is resolved. If not, follow the next step.
    3. Replace the rear leaf springs.
    4. Test drive again to see if vibration is gone. If it still exists, follow the next step.
    5. Install the steering wheel damper by removing the steering wheel pad and screwing it into place.
    6. Test drive and confirm the repair.

11. Sep 18, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    fourfourone

fourfourone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD sport(sold) 2023 Tacoma
    my 15 AC does the same thing. I bought the truck with 56k miles and it has done it since I bought it. Right as I take off it seems like there is a bit of a giggle feeling coming from the back. It only happens on initial take off. Sometimes is does it sometimes it doesn't. I had the dealer look at it and 2 techs drove it and could not feel it. The u joints and CB are good. I've done a TON of research and it seems like its a common issue. I've read posts of the dealer replacing diffs, trans, u joints...etc and the problem still exists. To me it seems like its a minor amount of axle wrap. I had my GF drive the truck and a buddy of mine and they couldn't even notice it. Part of me thinks some people like myself are super sensitive to minor shakes and shudders where some people just don't feel it even if the shudder is present.

trouts2[OP] likes this.
  12. Sep 18, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    fourfourone

fourfourone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD sport(sold) 2023 Tacoma
    plugs are not your answer either. I did plugs right when I bought my truck. Made zero difference.

13. Sep 18, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    Cb Colorado

Cb Colorado Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 Tacoma SR5
    OME 885 Bilstein 5100 front and rear RCI Rock Sliders 285/70/17 BFG KO2
    Mine does this too, not enough of a problem for me to worry about it. Ive had no issues as a result of that start from stop vibration.

trouts2[OP] likes this.
  14. Sep 19, 2020 at 4:07 AM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    fourfourone,

How many miles do you have on it now?

My chatter seems to be coming through the seat. It’s very slight on the steering wheel. I can’t feel it on the door or dash. Mine is always present, never without it

on any start-off. I call it a chatter or vibration but it seems like a series of very short slips of something causing it. Three people have felt it as it is slight but very noticeable.

On the plugs part. It may not be the cause for most vibrations but I have read a few reports where plugs cured their shake. The “master tech” at the Toyota dealer first told me about that. I checked the net and saw a few cases that plugs worked.

I doubt it’s plugs in my case.

Overall it just bugs me 1. not knowing the source 2. it being so consistent in always there and always the same amount of shake.

Cb Colorado,

What year is yours? How many miles have you gone with the vibration? Good too hear you and fourfourone have not had any related issues. That seems to be the case with other reported vibrations. They happen, some find a cure and some don’t but I have not seen a report yet that eventually something broke and when fixed the vibration was gone. The TSB I posted above worked for some, it’s close to mine but not an exact match.

15. Sep 20, 2020 at 9:39 AM
    Cb Colorado

Cb Colorado Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Black 2008 Tacoma SR5
    OME 885 Bilstein 5100 front and rear RCI Rock Sliders 285/70/17 BFG KO2

Mines is an 08, ive had this vibration since I got the truck at 60k miles im now at 125k. I do have a driveline vibration because of a ujoint that is more concerning, but when i grease the u joints it goes away. The low speed start vibration stays however.

trouts2[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Sep 22, 2020 at 4:42 PM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
  17. Sep 22, 2020 at 5:05 PM
    spitdog

spitdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Access Cab V6 4x4 SR5 MGM
    I would at least check the tranny fluid level first. A lot people had low fluid from factory. Mine was 3/4 qt. low.

Clearwater Bill and gearcruncher like this.
  18. Sep 22, 2020 at 6:13 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
  19. Sep 22, 2020 at 6:21 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    My bad
    I just read your vibration occurs in forward as well as reverse .
    That just eliminated the transmission .
    I would like to know the condition of your leaf springs . Are they a 3 leaf pack from 2013 or has any work been done to them .
    When they replaced the driveshaft , was the complete driveshaft replaced including the carrier bearing and slip yoke ?
    If you put your truck in neutral and coast to a stop without using the brakes , can you feel the vibration ?
    All vibrations can be fixed

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  20. Sep 22, 2020 at 6:58 PM
    trouts2

trouts2 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    I read your other post on prior searches of the forum.

>>I just read your vibration occurs in forward as well as reverse .
    >>That just eliminated the transmission .

How does that eliminate the transmission?

The vibration is very consistent in happening at 4-5 miles an hour and shaking for 5-6 times felt through the seat mostly. It’s the same with reverse. I don’t feel the shake in the steering wheel.

If you are correct that it’s not the trans that is a big deal to me.

>>I would like to know the condition of your leaf springs . Are they a 3 leaf pack from 2013 or has any work been done to them .

They are stock and three. I just go the truck so don’t know of prior work. Carfax does not show leaf spring work.

>>When they replaced the driveshaft , was the complete driveshaft replaced >>including the carrier bearing and slip yoke ?
    Replacement was the driveshaft and carrier bearing as mentioned before. No on the slip yoke.

>>All vibrations can be fixed

If you through enough money at it sure. A few posts up is a post about a guy having symptoms that matched a TSB. He had the TSB done to his truck and did not fix the vibration. I’ve read where people have a type of vibration and fixes it in way A. Another person with a similar vibration will try way A and the problem remains. It’s frustrating.

If you are correct that because it does it in forward and reverse that eliminates the transmission that would be very important to me.

Products Discussed in

To Top