1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

vibration in shifter at 50 mph

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mainerinexile, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Sep 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    mainerinexile

mainerinexile [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Access cab I4 4x4 5 spd
    I haven't seen anyone report a vibration in the 5-spd shifter at highway speeds (50-55 mph). In my '08 4WD with 25,000 miles, the shifter recently started vibrating from front to back, causing an annoying buzz. Even if I hold the shifter, I can't stop the vibration or the buzz. Any ideas what to ask the dealer to look at while I'm still on warrantee?

Thanks everyone.

2. Sep 24, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    are you sure it's coming from the shifter itself? try and check if its vibrating something else or it could be one of the bolts that holds the shifter in place came loose. if anything just go down do the dealer since it's still under warranty.

3. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    mainerinexile

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    It IS the shifter that is vibrating, but since I can't stop the vibrating by holding the shifter, I assume it is caused by something else within the transmission or drivetrain. I'd also bet that the dealer will consider it on of these nagging little things that they don't want to try to find, which is why I hope someone here will have some insignt.

Thanks.

4. Sep 24, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Vibration in the shifter is a bad sign. Head to the dealership and have them check it out. Either the driveline angle is out of whack or something in the transmissions internals is having issues, like a shift rail bolt being loose or a fork that may be bent.

5. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    +1 take it in and be firm on it being a problem and not just a funny tacoma quirk.

6. Sep 25, 2010 at 8:41 PM
    mainerinexile

Member:
    central Maine
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone. The feedback is much appreciated.

7. Sep 25, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    2gtacoma

2gtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    H-town
    Vehicle:
    05 -PreRunner sr5
    URD Maf Cal, Airaid intake, Gibson exhaust, Urd short shifter,Trd shift knob, 2.25 lift,Satoshi grill, Trex eyelids
    i was having vibrations through my shifter and i just replaced the u joint found one the seal was broke and all the needle bearings were pounded to dust.

8. Sep 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I have the same thing and my truck shakes a little bit so i am replacing the u joints with greasable ones probably next weekend so i can report if that changes anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top