1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vibration under braking??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Dwagner1006, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Dwagner1006

Dwagner1006 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi Guys,

Just picked up a 2006 Access cab with the TRD sport package.

So far I love the truck.

I have 2 questions/concerns.

The first of which is that the truck has a considerable amount of vibration when braking at higher speeds. I would have assumed that it was the rotors, but I put the truck into neutral at about 60, pushed on the brakes, and the vibration seemed to be all but gone. This would tell me that the brakes aren't the cause. I am thinking that its something in the drivetrain? The trans is having trouble with the sudden deceleration? Is this characteristic of a 4wd?

The other question is that from complete stop, if I let off the brakes to start to go, it seems to clunk into first gear. Is this normal?

Thanks for your time. Any other advise is appreciated. I am a total newbie to Tacoma's. I was a Subi guy before this.

Dan

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 9:18 AM
    hectory

hectory New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hector
    Hermosillo, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    I get the same "issues" with my 2010 TRD sport 4x4. Since it rolled out of the dealer, I get some sort of vibration when braking at mid to low speeds. Will try braking in neutral and see what happens. Also, when i take off a stop sign or light, once the car starts moving you can feel a clunk or jump, as if the brakes were stuck or the transmission didn't engaged properly until it starts moving or something

3. Aug 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Never put your truck in neutral if you are going high speeds :eek:. It's not your 4wd drive train that is causing the problem. Sounds like you should get your tires rebalanced and get an alignment done. You don't know for sure when the last time it was done when you bought it used. The clunking could be from your master cylinder or the rear drive shaft U-joint might be loose, IMO i would just bring your truck to the stealership and tell them about these issues.

4. Aug 20, 2010 at 10:05 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    sounds like warped rotors to me

Products Discussed in

To Top