1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Videography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 95 taco, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Nov 26, 2017 at 12:36 AM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Anyone into videography?
    I'm dabbling in it currently because it's fun and I can use it to advertise for one of my part time jobs.
    My only equipment right now is a DJI Phantom 3 Pro and my MacBook and I have no instructions on editing or filming so I'm kind of flying by the seat of my pants :rimshot:

I shot and edited this today.
    https://youtu.be/aexYzlkxPZQ

And did this about a week ago for our first business ad. (you'll notice this video is not as smooth, I hadn't learned that the gimble speed and sensitivity was adjustable and I also had less than 3 hours of stick time on the copter)
    https://youtu.be/hpNqjYHnNEA

2. Feb 19, 2018 at 2:32 AM
    FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I never really wanted to get into shooting video... until I got into flying paramotors! I got a Sony FDR-X3000 and a mount to put it on my helmet. I decided on the Sony over a GoPro since the Sony just has better image quality to my eye, and the optical image stabilization is pretty damn good. Well, my damn helmet fell, and broke the mic input, so I had to send it to get fixed. I picked up a HDR-AS300 as a backup. It's the same, but doesn't shoot 4k... but I didn't bother to shoot 4k anyway.. HUGE file sizes!

I've made about half a dozen short videos of flying... I'm still learning editing and such. I have in mind to do more videos related to camping, since I bought a camper trailer... do some flying/camping, since I'll mostly be camping at places I'll fly.

This week, I'll be receiving my Olympus OM-D EM-5 MkII, which I'll use for more of my ground-based footage. We'll see how that goes!

Tacman19 and 95 taco[OP] like this.
  3. Nov 26, 2018 at 11:30 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I don't know how I missed this reply!

You've gotta get some great footage as a paramotorer (Paramotorist?) do you have any to share? Do you do any editing to the videos?
    I'm a little curious what it's like having a camera that records sound at the same time as the video, my phantom 3 doesn't record audio as it would just have prop noise.

4. Nov 26, 2018 at 11:35 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    Reviving this thread because I upgraded from GoPro studio to Vegas Movie Studio Platinum over the past weeks deals. Shot a little footage at my grandparents as we're cleaning up the farm for an estate sale.
    This was my first time editing in audio (none that I recorded, all sound effects) and it was very interesting, also time consuming (as well as learning the new software) but I might look into a recorder in the future to get decent audio that I can sync up for certain instances (such as large events)as well as getting a Gimbal hand camera for non-aerial videography.

(Don't forget to select 1080P if your internet can handle it)

CS_AR likes this.
  5. Dec 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    I do it full time for a living in Oxnard, CA.

https://youtu.be/SDC9v0c6uEY

I went from doing it as a hobby as well to making a job of it within a 2 year span.
    I friggin LOVE my job!!!!!

I bet having a drone is fun! I've never flown one but I hope to one day have my own. :)

What made you want to get into videography? :)

6. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:45 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    That has to be fun! Great job on the video, the rule of thirds worked well in the video (something I had not though of) and the editing was smooth.

The drone is fun, not a cheap investment but very fun. I'm getting more confident in my skills with it and am not always using GPS stabilized settings anymore to make it more interesting.

I actually got interested because of my cousin, he bought a DJI phantom a few years back and started shooting Arial shots for real estate and then branched out to other work (including doing some video for GE) as well as using it for high quality "home video" type stuff.
    I've always been into photography and videography seemed to be a natural progression.
    This is one of the latest short things from my cousin, he has quite a few cool videos on his channel.

I'm dabbling more and in the next few weeks want to shoot a local town to help show them off and let the city have it on their facebook page in case somebody happens to find "map dot USA" and is curious what it has to offer.
    This was something that I shot a few weeks ago on a walk with the dog (I also wanted an excuse to use the editing software some more), the neighbor went all out on lights for their tiny front yard and it really brightens up the neighborhood.

I've found one thing that is difficult for me (other than the lack of smoothness from my flying) is the transitions, I really need to get more flight time and really get an abundance of material to edit before I start editing a project and then focus on making the transitions classy and sensical.

Tacman19 and CS_AR like this.
  7. Dec 18, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I finally took the time to go to the little city in the next county over to get some footage of the Gulf Coast, I'm very happy with how it turned out.
    There were quite strong winds that day and you can tell in certain portions of the video but otherwise the weather was perfect.

Tacman19 likes this.
  8. Feb 8, 2019 at 11:02 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
  9. Feb 8, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    Impressive work Cody! I absolutely love Gods Country.

Tacman19 and MedlinAround like this.
  10. Feb 8, 2019 at 11:32 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Thank ya sir! Appreciate it

95 taco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 7, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    What do you all use for audio?
    I’m looking at getting a rode videomicro, as well as possibly a zoom h1 recorder, I just don’t really know how to use them.

12. Mar 8, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Audio is 1 thing I need to step my game up on. I have a rode mic on the camera for audio. Usually if I do band stuff I try to go out of the main board that the sound guy is recording on. I just bought my rode mic so I haven't gotten to fool with it too much.

13. Jun 9, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I finally got a Rhode Mic for my Canon 60D, works very well.

This is what I’ve been using the phantom for lately.
    29BF6110-7948-4325-B1F6-E161AD355D96.jpg

14. Jun 9, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    Hotdog11

Hotdog11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Brandon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5
    Bilstein 5100s Bumpers, winch rock rails
    I just recently started getting into videography. I started with the iPhone in my pocket and my MacBook Air with IMovie. First I’ll say I really enjoy it, second, it’s a bottomless money-pit. I bought a gimbal, then a mic, then a Yi 4K (a cheap action camera), and now I’ve just ordered a GoPro Hero 7 Black.

I’m using the Movo VXR10 mic, very similar to the Rode video micro, but a little cheaper, and several you tubers preferred it. It comes with the cable for both a smartphone and a camera, it SIGNIFICANTLY improved my audio quality.

I’ve got a couple vids up if you wanna see what another noobs done. YouTube is an amazing resource for how to’s, that’s where I’ve learned everything.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJSQtPCQynwBjOJnMwDDWA

This is probably my best video so far:

https://youtu.be/ses33w1rCqs

15. Jun 9, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    Hotdog11

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Brandon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5
    95 taco[OP] likes this.
  16. Jun 9, 2019 at 7:21 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    That video is good, I like the music choices, it’s one of the things I struggle with because it seems that YouTube doesn’t have a whole lot to pull from when I use the filters (or maybe I’m just not searching correctly) and when I don’t filter it I don’t have the time to go through all the choices and hear what they sound like.

17. Jun 9, 2019 at 7:59 PM
    Hotdog11

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Brandon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5
    Figuring out the music filter took a bit of practice. I have luck with searches of what I want the mood to be, like “happy folk”, “fun driving”, or “happy rock”. YouTube also allows you to use a lot of top 40 songs, but that usually ends up meaning the video will be monetized, and all proceeds go to the copyright owner. Not a bad way to go if you know “the perfect” song and just want a good video.

18. Jun 16, 2019 at 6:59 PM
    95 taco

95 taco [OP] Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    I was bored this weekend and had some spare time as well as footage so this popped out.

Tacman19 likes this.
  19. Jun 18, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    Hotdog11

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Brandon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5
    I liked it, some really good cinematic shots, and the music really seemed to flow with the mood of the shot.
    it makes me want to go buy a drone, but first my truck needs new tires :spending:

If I may throw out some constructive criticism, try to minimize panning with the camera on the drone (or edit out those pan movements). The shot is really beautiful, and smooth, and then when the camera pans on the gimbal it gives a slight jerk to an otherwise smooth shot. I got that tip from another youtuber. I used to never notice, but now it really stands out to me.

95 taco[OP] likes this.
  20. Jul 14, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    I'm an audio guy but do support for film all the time. Mainly the music production but re recording mixing too.

https://youtu.be/KNDEJ5npg0U

chrslefty and Tacman19 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top