1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Videography

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 95 taco, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Jul 15, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Hard to find good audio mixes for videos nowadays

CS_AR likes this.
  2. Jul 15, 2019 at 8:25 PM
    Hotdog11

Hotdog11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Brandon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5
    Bilstein 5100s Bumpers, winch rock rails
    Wow! That was flippin incredible! Very impressive from start to finish. The video was gorgeous, the music was perfect, and the way you edited them together was perfect. I loved it.

I do have a couple questions:

Where the video goes backwards through the wooden structure, did you fly through forwards, then just reverse the video in editing?

There’s several places where the drone seems to really accelerate (which perfectly matches the music), was that done in editing by just speeding up the speed of the clip?

What resolution did you record in, if I had to guess I’d say 4K/60FPS?

What equipment did you use?

3. Jul 15, 2019 at 8:55 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    So I'm not the video editor. Just the music guy.

That said. Airblastr was the pilot. He uses a variety of drones include an inspire, mavicpro 2, and custom race drones with GoPro studios or fusion on them.

He does shoot in 4k and frame rate varies.

He does speed up and slow down some footage depending on the shot. That one was sped up I'm sure.

The other shot I think was reversed. He does do that at times.

Look him up on YouTube and check out his other stuff he does! It's very cool.

We have lots of other footage to edit ourselves in the next few months.

4. Jul 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    Hotdog11

Hotdog11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Brandon, FL
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5
    Bilstein 5100s Bumpers, winch rock rails

I’ll look him up. Thanks!

5. Jul 18, 2019 at 7:05 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.

Definitely a racing drone with a GoPro, no DJI or other drone will fly that path (Straight towards the ground, straight up in the air) with the camera in that location.

6. Jul 18, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Yeah he does a combination of them.

7. Jul 23, 2019 at 5:23 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
  8. Sep 16, 2019 at 11:15 PM
    Taconator_

Taconator_ IG: ohv_tacotruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18' DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Happy I found this thread, need some advice from anyone.

For starters, I’m 100% more of a photographer, I’ve been into it for years. But lately I’ve wanted to get into video real bad..

I have a:

GoPro hero 7
    iPhone XR
    Sony A7iii

I know, I know, hear me out. Lol. Although the Sony is incredible. I don’t feel like spending more money on a gimbal, and even if I do those things are massive (and expensive). So I’ve thought of using my GoPro or iPhone. I’ve seen some good results on YouTube, but then there’s the shortcomings of not having a good log profile. Or controlling the focus like you can in a camera, or even fitting a variable ND filter. It’s almost like I want my A7iii to be the size of the GoPro but the interface of an iPhone lol.

A lot of what I’d shoot would be traveling videos and off-road videos. I can’t seem to find a balance. Phone cameras have gotten so good I’ve considered just going the iPhone route especially with the 11 around the corner.

What do you guys think?

9. Sep 17, 2019 at 6:57 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:

No, use your full frame Sony a7III for sure and your GoPro for those hard to reach shots inside cab or mounting.

The Sony has decent 4 or 5 axis built in stabilization correct? I mean unless you're running trying to capture video it should work fantastic for basic handheld footage with some good practice. Buy a cage for it for like $70 bucks off Amazon if you don't want want to buy a gimbal that way you can hold the camera more sturdy from a few different hand points.
    Or just sell me your A7iii lol.

All my footage is shot on a Panasonic Lumix G85 (micro 4/3 camera) without a gimbal. I use a cage, with a rode mic, nd filters, and an external monitor so i can see focus, etc. better that i recently purchased. Looking to pick up the new smaller ronin sc here shortly but i would love to have a full frame for some concert and lower light stuff. www.youtube.com/medlinaround

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Taconator_[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Sep 17, 2019 at 10:50 AM
    Taconator_

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18' DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    Haha. I’ll give the a7iii a shot.
    It is in body stabilized but I believe your g85 has a more refined stabilization. I would need a lens that’s also stabilized to get the best results since I only have primes. I’ll give it a shot with my 35mm and see how it goes!
    Buying a cage was a great idea though, thanks!

If anything I might actually just sell the GoPro, and use my phone and a7iii. I just got an app called filmic pro and the control it gives the phone makes it way more appealing than my GoPro.

MedlinAround[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 17, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    I was GoPro fan starting out in videography. I still love the shots and angles they give but really don't need those angles enough for what i film at the moment. I'd love to suck it up and buy an A7III or a Full Frame camera to shoot some band work in lower light with, just don't have those kind of funds to drop $2500 into a camera at the moment. I think a cage with a handle on it and with the Sony having some super quick Auto focus capabilities, that i think it'll do fine with focus and most your stabilization. Of course there are some shots you cant get without a moving fast (as in with a gimbal) but there's ways around most of that work depending on how professional you're looking to get out of it.

Also let SloMo be your friend with stabilization. Movement is much less noticeable on scenes if it isn't moving fast.

Here's the last vid i shot of our ride with it. Some shots i was just trying to get out of the way so its not as stable but for the most part it does a pretty good job with some post stabilization and the in camera stabilizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPTsxjXcXPs&t=21s

12. Sep 17, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    Taconator_

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18' DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I’ve only used my a7iii for photography and it’s been great so far, I absolutely love it. I just don’t like how much lenses can cost lol, it’ll be exciting to use it’s video capabilities.
    I think my problem with the GoPro is the lack of buttons, it’s hard to quickly switch between settings since the screen is so small. I also like variable NDs and all I found for the GoPro was single NDs like nd4, nd8, etc. But it’s not meant to be a professional camera so can’t really fault it.

Pretty awesome video, I still need to learn how to edit and make transitions like you did.
    What do you use to edit? I recently got Davinci resolve and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t having a hard time learning how to use it.

13. Sep 17, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Videography is the same but a lot different than photography. Same concept with aperature, iso, yada yada, but editing is most the battle. Making the video flow, keeping the viewer interested, etc.. I agree 100% with you on the GoPro's. You'll be pleased with the Sony A7III from a video standpoint. A whole lot of people use them in the video world. I use Final Cut Pro for my editing work.

PasswordIsTaco123 likes this.
  14. Sep 17, 2019 at 12:23 PM
    Taconator_

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18' DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I hear the learning curve with final cut isn’t too bad. I think I have a sense of how I’d like my videos to turn out, but I struggle with the software so end up spending more time YouTubing how to covert to slow-mo, or how to convert to 24fps, lol. Davinci resolve seems complicated to me but it was free.. so I guess I’ll deal with it for now. But editing is definitely a huge battle. I try editing to the music I find. Seems easier to me. I’ll see if I can make a very short video and I’ll post it up. Might be a while but I’ll try my best to get through the editing.. because editing video gives me nightmares:rofl:

15. Sep 17, 2019 at 1:07 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:

Record 60FPS or higher and put it to a 24 time frame and slo it down. 24/30fps is .8 or 80%. 24/60 is .40 so 40% is what you would slow it down to to make it look appealing to the eye. 24/120fps .2 so you can slow 120fps down to 20% and look good. etc.

Music is hard because copyright tears you a new one. Know someone that does music or buy copyright free content.

Final Cut works well for me. I've down a few stuff in Adobe Premiere but prefer Final Cut because its easier and quicker for me.

16. Sep 24, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Needed a new business intro video!

17. Oct 29, 2019 at 1:51 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Fuji-guy here. Been a photographer for 7 and a half years. Going to be making some money doing videos for the first time here this winter so I naturally went to see if there’s a videographers thread on TW ha. X-T3 shooter, here.

Hi, Monte :wave:

Blackdawg and MedlinAround like this.
  18. Nov 1, 2019 at 9:16 AM
    OvrlandTaco

OvrlandTaco IG: Ovrlandtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Wyoming/Texas
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black DCSB TRD Off-Road
    Hey! I shoot photos and video on my fuji. I've been wanting to get the XT-3 for the better video features but am stuck with the XT-20 for now. So far I love it, I've made quite a few videos with it. One of my favorites though has been shooting a car show earlier this year. If you'd like to see the end result here is the link.
    https://youtu.be/-Bi08nByUy4

19. Nov 1, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires

Nice, man. Mostly handheld shots? Looks really good. I dig the slomo. Would totally speed up the transitions to offer some variety in tempo. Those shots are CRISP. I like how Fuji puts the same sensor and processor in their whole lineup and differentiates the cameras with other features. That way I can borrow my little brothers lower end camera and shoot side by side with my upper end ones and the images are all identical.

The X-T3 is great, man. The AF system is way better than the X-T2s and X100F I used to use, but I will say, now that Video has been on my radar, I'm hoping Fuji launches an X-H2 sooner than later ha.

20. Nov 1, 2019 at 7:16 PM
    OvrlandTaco

OvrlandTaco IG: Ovrlandtaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Wyoming/Texas
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black DCSB TRD Off-Road
    yeah, all of those were on a motorized gimbal, except for one clip. but overall I love the system more than the DSLR's

Products Discussed in

To Top