1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Vinyl wrapping my roof...good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by knine00, Mar 20, 2012.

?

Vinyl wrap my roof?

Poll closed Apr 19, 2012.
  1. Good idea

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Bad Idea

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. Aug 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    ^^i had black now I have Matt grey
    eze5unut_fd55bb5ff1da13c5b04515e3ad84eb4991effc80.jpg
    (Old pic) still have it tho

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Aug 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM

1911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver 4x4 lifted with 32"s
    3" lift With rear leveling kit 32"s mounted on 16" F5s 20" and 30" Rigid LEDs Rigid LED backup lights Nerf bars (to be replaced with rock sliders) CB Custom grill
    I went this week to get an estimate on doing mine, took it to a local shop that specialize in vinyl lettering and also does wraps for car dealerships.

Considered both black and carbon fiber, leaning towards carbon fiber. (thought the matte grey is interesting)

Going to do the roof just like Jerez's above.

Was quoted material and labor for carbon fiber to be 240.00, black was about 50.00 cheaper.

Talked to guy at length about the plus and minuses of doing it, as well as what to expect.

Prep consist of stripping wax first as well as a good wash job.

Application will not harm paint in anyway according to him, and it is easily removed.

Will not tear or peel easily (i.e. car washes), it's real enemy is UV.

How long it last depends on how much and how harsh the sun is on it. The sun will make it eventually discolor a bit with age/UV, but not peel. Expected life he told is about 3-4 years, then you should think about changing it, at least if not garage kept.

The down side to leaving it on much past 3-4 years is that it starts getting harder to remove, but can be removed non the less. The longer it is on, the better is sticks according to him. He told me he has never had one he could not remove with no damage to paint.

Last but not least is just how little it will hide, there is no self leveling affect. In other words, it does not hide your paints flaws or sins of your past! LOL

He had wrapped the hood of one of his company vans that had front end paint that was peeling and had a number of dings in it from years of hard use. The carbon fiber wrap stuck so closely that is showed every little place underneath of it. Each and every place where paint had pealed off was clearly visible.

Taking mine back down when I get a chance to have it done.

Products Discussed in

To Top