1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Viper 5701 alarm install - '09 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Taco13, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Jun 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    Taco13

Taco13 [OP] Goldmember

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Victoria, BC CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Red09
    Aftermarket: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak (285/70R17) on Black Ion 179s, Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit with AAL & Rancho 9000 on the rear, Front Window Tint, Lund Challenger Black Cargo Box, Redline Tuning Quicklift Elite Hood lifts, Redline Tuning Tailgate EZ Down, ScanGuage II, Kenwood DNX8120 with Nav, Tuffy Bed Security Lockbox, 4x4 light switch mod, tailgate clamp mod, Viper Alarm/Remote Start, AFE Cold Air Intake, 115vAC & 12vDC outlets in rear of armrest, 400w all the time mod, Weather Tech floor mats, 3C Maglight clamped to seat adjust bar, Scuba Mod (rear diff, transfer case & auto trans relocated to inside of bed tool box) OEM: Leather Heated Seats, Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Cartridge style Block Heater Wish List: Relentless Fab front bumper and sliders, Warn 9.5XP, front and rear ARB air lockers
    OK, so I'm not new to electronics or alarm and stereo installs, but I'm confused like you wouldn't believe here. I'm installing a Viper 5701 in my '09 taco, and I'm having trouble figuring out the install instructions. The installation manual makes mention of the fact that the ignition wire is the same as a switched wire. In other words, the ignition wire goes high (+12v) when the key is turned on to ignition and start postion. This makes sense to me, however, the Wiring Guide (aka - installation diagram) says in bold print the Red wire is 12(+) Constant, while the installation manual says the Red wire is 20 Amp fused Ignition 1 relay. There are a lot of little inconsistancies in all the instructions, and, in my opinion, they are quite poorly written.

Here are the questions I'm hoping someone can help answer:
    1. Is the Red wire +12V constant?
    2. Is the Red/white wire +12V constant or switched?
    3. Is the Red/black wire +12V constant or switched?
    4. What is a "Flex relay"? How is that different from any other normal automotive relay?
    5. When I see in the Wiring Guide the Red/White wire is for the "RS Flex Relay", is that different from the "Flex Relay"? What is "RS"?

I've checked with other sites, like 12volt.com, and every place I look seems to be a slightly different story. I'm gonna need a lot more beer...

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    Taco13

Taco13 [OP] Goldmember

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Victoria, BC CANADA
    Vehicle:
    Red09
    Aftermarket: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak (285/70R17) on Black Ion 179s, Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit with AAL & Rancho 9000 on the rear, Front Window Tint, Lund Challenger Black Cargo Box, Redline Tuning Quicklift Elite Hood lifts, Redline Tuning Tailgate EZ Down, ScanGuage II, Kenwood DNX8120 with Nav, Tuffy Bed Security Lockbox, 4x4 light switch mod, tailgate clamp mod, Viper Alarm/Remote Start, AFE Cold Air Intake, 115vAC & 12vDC outlets in rear of armrest, 400w all the time mod, Weather Tech floor mats, 3C Maglight clamped to seat adjust bar, Scuba Mod (rear diff, transfer case & auto trans relocated to inside of bed tool box) OEM: Leather Heated Seats, Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Cartridge style Block Heater Wish List: Relentless Fab front bumper and sliders, Warn 9.5XP, front and rear ARB air lockers
  3. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    1, 2, 3. all three red wires at the ignition harness go to 12 volt constant, you can connect them all together after the fuses. The ignition wire is pink and there is a second ignition that is pink/white.

4.a flex relay can provide you with either a positive or ground output. depending on what you would need it for. if you have a second starter on your truck you can use this instead of wiring up an external relay. If you can't figure it out you can wire up a regular relay instead.

5. "RS flex relay" is "remote start flex relay". It is the flex relay. on older model vipers you would need to wire up an external relay for a second starter, 3rd ignition etc. There is a flex relay for the parking lights also on that unit. You don't need that in your truck. The only thing you would need is the RS flex relay for you 2nd starter.

If you are not electrically inclined I would say that doing this install yourself is going to get very frustrating and you might want to have it done professionally so you don't screw up your truck. Either way good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top