1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Viper Remote Start

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PropJet, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jan 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    I need some input from any of you who have, or have had, a remote start. I had a Viper 5301 installed on my Tacoma a couple of weeks ago. This model is supposed to have a 2000' range, although I understand that interference can affect that number to some degree. My question is, how much of a sacrifice in range is acceptable, because I'm certain that mine isn't functioning properly.

Typically what I'll experience is a loss of signal around 300-450' from the truck if I'm inside a building, but I've even seen a loss of signal from as little as 180' away, which would be a reduction in the advertised range of 91%. Once, at 300', I lost the signal even before I entered the building. I have tested it at work, as well as at three other stores so far, and the results are always the same. I called the place where I had it installed, and they tried claiming that it was interference, and that it was normal. After arguing with them, they agreed to take a look at it here in a few days. If this is true, and what I've been experiencing is all the better these things work, then I'd consider it a waste of money.

If anyone has this model, can you let me know how well it works so I can argue with the installer if need be when I take it in?

Thanks!

2. Jan 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM
    Kicker_Of_Elves

Kicker_Of_Elves If it bleeds we can kill it

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road
    Front Skid Plate, Exhaust Tip, Tinted Windows: 35% Front Sides, 5% Rear Windows, Devil Horns Emblem, Rear TSB, BLHM, Shorty Antenna, 6000k HID Headlights.
    I don't have this model but i'm looking to get it in a few months. Please keep us updated on what the installers say about it.

3. Jan 17, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    USMCVet

USMCVet Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DC 4X4
    I install remote starters, have for the last 10 years on the side. They are feeding you line of BS. I installed one on my 09 Tacoma and get excellent range. Where did they mount the antenna ? I have installed at least 50-75 remote starters and have had excellent range on all of them. I install a brand made by Directed Electronics called Design Tech. Let me know what they say. I park in the no scratch zone at WalMart(way out yonder) and can start my truck from the entrance.

4. Jan 17, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    PropJet

PropJet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    The antenna (or at least I assume it's the antenna) is located on the inside top of the windshield, right next to the rear view mirror.

The strange thing is, the first week that I had the system I know I used it from inside my office, which is about 450' from where I park.

When I was looking at what model to get, I opted against the top model and its 5000' advertised range, thinking that 2000' would be plenty (which it would, if I could only get anywhere close to that).

5. Jan 17, 2009 at 11:17 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I was told that the 1000' feet would be if the vehicle was in the most ideal of situations.... Example, out in the middle of the desert with no obstructions and/or interference. I cant get mine to work but about an 1/8th mile or so from my pickup in the best of conditions, and my antenna is mounted in a fairly similar location to yours. (upper, left hand side of windshield)

I find it hard to believe that they could go 5000' too... I know they claim this and all but come on, thats right under 1 FULL mile! I'll believe it when I see it happen.

EDIT: USMCVet, the last time I checked DirectedElectronics also made Viper systems. Is this still true? If so, I would imagine your system should be about the same setup as similar Viper systems and indicative of what propjet should be achieving. My father used to wholesale a ton of these things and I remember seeing DirectedElectronics pasted all over the Viper and Sidewinder equipment

6. Jan 17, 2009 at 11:55 PM
    EF8SIR1988

EF8SIR1988 Member

Member:
    orange county
    Vehicle:
    2008 trd
    i sell viper alarms viper 5901 $280 shipped

7. Jan 19, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    laboy

laboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    How difficult to install 5901 with remote start on Tacoma 08?

8. Jan 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    EF8SIR1988

EF8SIR1988 Member

Member:
    orange county
    Vehicle:
    2008 trd
    have you ever installed one an alarm before?

9. Jan 19, 2009 at 11:06 PM
    laboy

laboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes, simple one...

Products Discussed in

To Top