1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

visiting Colorado

Discussion in 'Colorado' started by labrador01, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Aug 14, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    labrador01

labrador01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Northern IL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma
    My girlfriend & I (and chocolate lab) have a trip planned to head to Colorado the first week of September. She would love to take her 2015 Subaru Impreza (5spd hatch 58k miles) however I've been thinking we would be driving my '01 Tacoma there instead (w/ 228k miles). Big difference in fuel consumption she argues. With that being said; I'll have some tools and other things. We will be staying in Woodland Park for two days then heading to Parshall for about three days. Our last night will be spent in Walden before heading back home to Illinois. This trip will be between 2500-3000 miles:fingerscrossed:. I would like some recommendations for some places to see and check out and maybe get my truck dirty.

2. Aug 14, 2018 at 12:25 PM
    odomandr

odomandr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSBTRDOR silver streak mica 2023 T4R Ltd blizzard pearl
    Icon, SPC,, ARB, BAMF, Warfab, SCS, Michelin, Leer Stock
    i couldnt justify the tacoma without some camping and wheeling already planned. Sounds like your lodging is set already, save the gas money and take her out to dinner, the ride will be more comfortable too in her impreza.

all that said CO is full of options but you have not given us much to recommend anything.

Check out the FS website and the Stay the Trail website for best information and maps to different areas.

CO MTN Steve likes this.
  3. Aug 15, 2018 at 3:26 AM
    jtifm

jtifm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDORDCSB
    Mt. Evans is scheduled to close on the 4th of September. The 14,000+ view is spectacular, the drive paved. It is open 24 hours a day, good wildlife opportunities (big horn, pika, goats). Amazing to go up at night, watch the sun rise. Winds can be a bear at that elevation. Can do it in whatever you drive.

4. Aug 15, 2018 at 6:44 PM
    HighCountryTacoma

HighCountryTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD Off Road Quicksand
    you can do a lot of easy trails out here in the Subi also.

DaveInDenver likes this.
  5. Aug 15, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Those locations aren't exactly close. Parshall is near RMNP and worth a look. The drive from Granby to Estes Park is memorable. The road should be open in early Sept but heavy snow will close it. I've seen the road closed for a day or 2 when we were there in June a few years ago until they could clear it.

Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods is between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park. You'll drive right by it coming in from Illinois. The Garden of the Gods is something you can see in 1/2 hour if you rush through, or spend 1/2 day. But it is free and worth a look. Driving up Pikes Peak takes at least 1/2 day, but is something I'd see if that close.

There are a lot of off road trails in the Silverton/Ouray area, but that is in the SW part of the state. I'd probably take the Subaru at this time of year. Later when there are heavy snows or if you were hunting and 20 miles down a forest service road in October and November I'd take the Taco with chains.

6. Aug 15, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    TacoRated

TacoRated Do the chickens have large talons?

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR
    High speed, special purpose duct-tape noise cancellation LCAs. Redline Tuning hood struts Hefty Fabworks Rock Sliders Trifold Bed Cover TRD Pro Grille
    Around Woodland Park there’s places like Metberry Gulch and other spur trails off of Cedar Mountain Rd. Most of them are mild/moderate.

Products Discussed in

To Top