1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volant Cold Air Intake 2007 Tacoma Installation Issues?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by gbreezer80, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jan 11, 2014 at 6:12 PM
    gbreezer80

gbreezer80 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Volant CAI w/Scoop, Borla Catback Exhaust, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator, Dual 10" LED Lights, Kickass Audio System
    I just installed a Volant Cold Air Intake on my 2007 Tacoma. Everything went great until I needed to install my engine cover. I noticed the plastic intake tube rests on the valve cover also and will probably melt over time. I've double checked everything and am OCD when it comes to installations. But, the annoying thing is the engine cover will not reinstall as the tube/MAF is in the way. Also, there is not a place to put the bolt/stud on the tube to hold the cover in place .

Volant seems like a good product, but they cheap out on the accessories - they should ship the tubing that is long enough to replace the factory tubing. Instead, they ship tube connectors and tubes to extend to fit the remaining length...seriously? Tubing is not that expensive guys.

Anyone else experience this? I'll most likely return this and opt for an Injen CAI.

From my initial review, I would not recommend this install on a 2005-2011 Taco.

2. Jan 11, 2014 at 8:35 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    Odd..... Sure u got sent the right one?

Many happy campers running afe stage 2 si fwiw

3. Jan 12, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    If you are going to run that intake, keep a close eye on your MPGs. It will likely drop a bit as well as power. This is from induced MAF sensor error. Don't worry, URD can fix that problem for you.

If you want to go with another intake, let me know and I can help you with that.

G

4. Jan 13, 2014 at 6:28 AM
    gbreezer80

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Volant CAI w/Scoop, Borla Catback Exhaust, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator, Dual 10" LED Lights, Kickass Audio System
    Which CAI would you recommend for a 2007 Taco Prerunner 4.0L? Also, if I stay with the Volant, let me know how you can overcome these (gas/power) issues

5. Jan 13, 2014 at 6:39 AM
    Onurnez

Onurnez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Fog Light Anytime Mod, LED dome and Map, Alpine Head unit, w/ Alpine door replacements, De-badged/De-Flapped, Anzo Black Headlights, Anzo Black Tail lights, Satoshi by Homer, Full OME Kit, LR UCA's Black interior dash parts, UltraGauge, Custom Decals By RuggedT, TRD Exhaust, Volant CAI, Weathertech Rainguards, Weathertech Floormats, Blueinstinct Center and door handle covers, Tacoma Bed Mat, 17x9 Fuel Kranks, 285/70/17, Window Tint: 5% back/35% front, Powerslot Rotors, Redline hood strut, 14'' Black Billet Antenna, LED Bed Light Mod, 100k mile mod
    Everything looked good on my install except I was unable to secure on of the nuts for the cover. The tube was in my way as well. I just left it off and haven't had any issues.

6. Jan 17, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    P33Rob

P33Rob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma V6 TRD 4X4
    OME 3" Lift; Maxfit aeromax; Volant CAI w/scoop; TRD Exhaust; Step rails; SCS stealth 6 wheels; Bedrug
    I have mine without the engine cover I think it looks better without it. The cover is completely cosmetic.

7. Jan 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    SuperWhiteSLT11

SuperWhiteSLT11 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    PHILA. PA.
    Vehicle:
    SLT LONG BED
    SUNTEK WINDOW TINT 15% FRONT & 20% REAR DOORS & SLIDER , EGR WINDOW SHADES ,
    I sent mind back too many issues , the seal from the air box to fender well would not stay on had to use black duck tape to keep it in place , only one bolt holds the air box in , the original they want you to use is to long at mounting location you have to use and will not tighten down , they dont give you a shorter bolt , the tube was to short like you said and had a poor fit when clamped to the filter , I ordered a new TRD CAI instead .

8. Jan 28, 2014 at 4:22 AM
    Onurnez

Onurnez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Fog Light Anytime Mod, LED dome and Map, Alpine Head unit, w/ Alpine door replacements, De-badged/De-Flapped, Anzo Black Headlights, Anzo Black Tail lights, Satoshi by Homer, Full OME Kit, LR UCA's Black interior dash parts, UltraGauge, Custom Decals By RuggedT, TRD Exhaust, Volant CAI, Weathertech Rainguards, Weathertech Floormats, Blueinstinct Center and door handle covers, Tacoma Bed Mat, 17x9 Fuel Kranks, 285/70/17, Window Tint: 5% back/35% front, Powerslot Rotors, Redline hood strut, 14'' Black Billet Antenna, LED Bed Light Mod, 100k mile mod
    How do you like the RAM air scoop? Is there any difference, or is it purely cosmetic? Also, did you find it at autoanything.com or is there a better place to buy?

*Edit* you need some windshield washer fluid :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  9. Feb 12, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    duppers1957

duppers1957 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    ukiah,california
    Vehicle:
    2006 preruner sr5
    throttle body spacer ,jba headers with flomaster.17"tires Volant cold air induction
    just purchased mine when I get it i'll let you know how it fits got #18/640:rolleyes:

10. Feb 16, 2014 at 8:22 PM
    duppers1957

duppers1957 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    ukiah,california
    Vehicle:
    2006 preruner sr5
    throttle body spacer ,jba headers with flomaster.17"tires Volant cold air induction
    did you have any trouble getting the engine cover back on?

11. Feb 17, 2014 at 6:45 AM
    gbreezer80

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting the cover on took some tweaking. I had to adjust the intake tube so that it didn't sit on top of the valve cover and lay 'somewhat' flat. I could not use the left cover nut as Volant didn't have a stud on the tube (pretty lame design IMO). Also, the Volant badging did not come on my intake like on duppers1957 (posted above)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  12. Mar 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM
    Carrionman

Carrionman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 v6
    Running the same intake with scoop on my 2013 taco and I have picked up 2-3 mpg at most highway driving, not great but it sounds nice and looks good. The rubber pieces that hold the pump on the intake didn't want to stay in for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top