1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Volunteer firefighting?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NCtaco13, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jun 4, 2018 at 10:38 PM
    NCtaco13

NCtaco13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2013 Gray DCSB 4x4 V6
    I thought there was a forum on here specifically for first responders, so I'll put it here

I'm thinking about joining my local volunteer fire department and I'm trying to get an idea of what it's like, or what to expect with joining a volunteer fire department. I've been creeping on their facebook page and website and they have meeting nights on the first Thursday of every month and business meetings / training on Thursdays later in the month. I was planning on going to the meeting on the first Thursday of the month (they said online that they look forward to new people coming on this day)

So really, I'm just trying to figure out what to expect being there. I have no experience with firefighting/ems, but I was in the Marines for 5 years if any of that matters. It's something I've been interested in for a while but I am finally in the "right" spot in life now to be able to do it

Also, I'm not interested in receiving any money from doing this, I'd really just like to help

Biscuits likes this.
  2. Jun 10, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    captainh00k

captainh00k Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB
    Do it! I’m coming up on 24 years as a volunteer. There have been many ups and downs over the years, but it has been very rewarding. Made a lot of great friends who have helped with many aspects of my life.

If you have specific questions let me know.

Biscuits likes this.
  3. Jun 10, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    I was a volunteer firefighter/EMT for over 7 years. We had meetings/training every Monday, except holidays. I really enjoyed it - great group of guys. Unfortunately, most of our calls were EMS instead of fire, which I really wasn't as confident in doing. Had to be 'available' every other week for EMS calls 24 hours a day - other than work hours - mostly night time. Once my daughter was born, it was tough doing those early morning calls, especially when they sometimes came back to back - as soon as you got home from one, you had another.

Our local fire department is now staffed full time, so no more volunteers......that is what is happening to most departments where I live, primarily due to EMS runs.

I would do it again in a heartbeat!!! I was also on the Ohio Interagency Fire Crew for about 10 years - fighting wildfires out west. Volunteer and EMS training helped with that too.

4. Jun 11, 2018 at 3:45 PM
    NoOneBetter

NoOneBetter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Premium
    Don't really have too much to contribute experience wise. I had considered the same thing myself, and talked to my local firefighters about it. Instead, I went towards volunteer Search and Rescue with the county sheriff. Not quite the same but just an alternative if you are looking for first responder opportunities. The hours for SAR are a little less demanding and I had more applicable skills. Just throwing that out there.

5. Dec 27, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Live in: An Ocean of Plastic Trash
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    ICON8 Lift -285s. upTOPoverland rack.
    Did you go for it? Very rewarding community building group.

6. Dec 28, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    HiFire

HiFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5,4x4,DCSB,Auto
    Weathertech mats, BAMF sliders, US Offroad front winch bumper, RCI Alum. Skid plates, ICON suspension, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, JBA uca's, Allpro u-bolt flip,
    Go for it. I have 17 yrs as a firefighter. The job is very rewarding and after serving as a volunteer you might want to do it full time. The military training and mentality will definitely help you succeed in the firehouse. Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top