1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

VSC & A-Trac on pre 2009 TRD Prerunners? was that an option?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jboudreaux1965, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jul 13, 2014 at 1:27 AM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 [OP] Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport
    i was reading some posts about the 2009+ tacomas that don't have a true LSD differential in the rear and made me think about it.

when i bought the tacoma (2006 4-door TRD sport prerunner, new) i also had a lexus GX (basically a fancy 4runner) and it did have vsc and A-Track, but it was AWD and i am pretty certain it did not have true mechanical LSD differentials. ( do not remember if it had DAC or not)

did they offer VSC or A-Trac on the older 2nd gen prerunner tacomas? or because of the mechanical LSD rear diff, it was not offered? i specifically told the dealership i wanted EVERY possible option for the prerunner, i even got the #2 package , the one that was like $3000 more with the extra oil and transmission oil coolers, bigger alternator, towing package, etc, not just the 'pretty' sport package with the color-matched grille, color-matched front/rear bumpers, color-matched door handles, color-matched mirrors, bilstein shocks/struts, TRD interior, hood with scoop, A/C inverter in the bed, stainless steel exhaust tip, 17" wheels, etc. was just curious because i'll be pretty pissed if it was available and they did not tell me

2. Jul 13, 2014 at 7:15 AM
    TreyTRD

TreyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R TEP and 13 FJ
    A-trac is only available on 4wd TRD off-road models.

3. Jul 13, 2014 at 7:22 AM
    TreyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R TEP and 13 FJ
    The major difference between the sport and the off road that I think a lot of people over look is the brake system. Off roads have a hydroelectric brake booster, everything else has a vacuum brake booster. You can not get A-Trac or DAC without a hydroelectric booster. All GX's have a hydroelectric boost also btw.

4. Jul 13, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 [OP] Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport

ooooooo, that makes perfect sense, did not know that, thanks!

5. Jul 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    A-TRAC is a traction system that works in Low Range on the front and rear tires, thus only 4WDs, and no PreRunners.

I heard it was a 'hydraulic' brake booster vs. the normal vacuum break booster. Not sure what hydroelectric is... unless it means the combining of electronic spin sensors and the hydraulic booster?

Thank you.

6. Jul 14, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    TreyTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R TEP and 13 FJ
    It's the same thing, just different terminology. The hydro one uses a electronic pump to boost brake fluid pressure and the vacuum one uses a normal vacuum booster.

Products Discussed in

To Top