1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waiting for the 2016 release or not

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by TheGazelle, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Mar 2, 2015 at 1:28 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Mar 2, 2015 at 1:45 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    ok

new engine will have zero problems and is a big upgrade. you need to learn more about toyota engines already
    developed and in use for years.....

new ways to rust ? no, same ways to rust. iron + oxygen = rust. steel is mostly iron.

I keep dropping what in what thread ? I barely post anything. the 2016 tacoma is all new not party new. not a dressed up
    2nd gen, it is new new new

I said wait till 2017 before buying one. let the first 7 months of kinks fall out

sheesh

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  3. Mar 2, 2015 at 1:59 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I expect it to have zero problems too. I still don't know in what ways it is a big upgrade, they have just said "more of everything" but 0.5% is more so that really isn't telling us anything at this point. This engine is in fact not developed and in use for years, it is based on engines in use for years but if you've followed the features and listened to the Toyota engineers they have made it clear it is a completely new engine configuration even if it may use a block from earlier models.

As to Toyota always doing wonderful on their engines, well there was that 3VZ nightmare. I don't expect that to happen with the 2016, but something could.

Very amusing.

Apologies, I think I confused you with someone else!

That's sound advice, but I don't think the OP was interested in waiting that long. He was asking to wait to buy a 2015 at a lower price since he wants to purchase fairly soon. And no one would have discovered frame rust issues in 7 months like happened in the 2nd gen nor the leaking heads of the old 3VZ. It takes time to find problems, and then time for Toyota to acknowledge and fix them. For some the new features are worth the small risk of having to deal with new problems. For others, not so much. The point isn't that the new truck will be less reliable, it is that the few problems it has will be different and unknown. And for some people that is a big hassle.

Personally I'd be happy with either truck and not have many worries about either.

4. Mar 2, 2015 at 2:07 PM
    TheProf

TheProf Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    I bought a 2015 DCLB SR5 in early January with no regrets about the 2016. As others have said, the new truck is definitely new, and promises to be improved in some ways. However, I firmly believe that more often than not, avoiding the the first year or even two of a new model is a good idea if reliability is a concern. I think it looks fine, but I also think the 2015 looks fine. (In case you can't tell, looks are not a driving factor for me when I buy a truck.)

Finally, in my area, there is one dealer within 60 miles, and they sell what they put on the lot. Fast.

Edit -- another reason to pull the trigger now is the large number of aftermarket parts and add-ons available for 2nd gen. It will be a while before you have all the options for the 3rd gen.

5. Mar 2, 2015 at 2:30 PM
    stokka

stokka Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    No, got 2015 three weeks ago. All the bugs are ironed out, a vehicle with reputation and pedigree.

First production year vehicle on the other hand can and probably will be different. Not going to be a guinea pig and pay for that with my hard earned money.

6. Mar 2, 2015 at 3:19 PM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    I'd like a 2016 or 2017 model. Holding on to my 2002 as until then. If it ain't broke, why replace it? I could definitely use more power though. The 3.4 liter is lethargic when towing my camper trailer.

7. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:49 PM
    TheGazelle

TheGazelle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Orange Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4

Yes a couple reasons, even though I put a lot of emission delete mods in my 6.4 I was tired of the diesel maintenance costs, and the burden of the motor going out prompted me to put it up for sale.

I think I'm going to make the jump friday and get me a trd off road. Thanks guys!!

8. Mar 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    TheGazelle

TheGazelle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Orange Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4
    What's the costs and percentage of people getting issues? I know this is off topic but are these new 2015s as bad as the f250 6.0s ? I thought Tacomas were sound trucks for the most part

9. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:10 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    You won't have to worry about this where you're from but
    frame rust in winter climates

Then there's vibration issues and small things
    They prove to be very reliable.

10. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    Tideline

Tideline Well-Known Member

Member:
    I bought a first generation Tundra in 2000

15 years later, still driving it without any problems or frame rust

Only repairs were exhaust manifolds

So, the first year of the first generation Tundra was one of the most trouble free years

It has been an amazingly trouble free vehicle

I would buy a first Gen Tacoma without hesitation

11. Mar 2, 2015 at 7:50 PM
    TheGazelle

TheGazelle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Orange Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4
    Thanks! this rust issue was what I was hoping Id be clear of with a south east Texas climate

12. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:29 PM
    eltaco

eltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    This.

Why is it that everyone assumes the 1st year will be a train wreck ? Do you not think Toyota takes lessons learned over the years and applies them to future designs ? How about small tweaks that were never market recalls or tsbs that engineers finally had a chance to revise with a fresh design ? I guess I just don't see the logic. Are 2015 vehicles not engineered better than designs from the 80s ?

I will personally be looking at purchasing a 2016 with no concern for 1st model year production issues. We also purchased a new Corolla this year and have thus far experienced zero issues.

IMO, the changes to the 3rd gen are welcomed. They've kept most of the gen 2 styling that I love, greatly improved the interior features, supposedly improved the ride and road noise, vibration, etc. The jury is still out on the new engine and tranny, but I have a feeling those changes were made for performance and economy improvements, both of which will satisfy me and finally convince me to trade in my 2007.

Yeah, there are a couple of minor styling items that I haven't yet fallen in love with.... But if I'm being honest the gen 2 has similar issues... Which is why I've modified said components to suit my likings. Once I modify that grille and add a lift the gen 3 will be most of everything I'm looking for in an upgrade.

13. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    I feel sorry for you having to experience the 6.4 like me and my dad had to experience ours. That was probably the worst engine ever put in the ford trucks. The 7.3 was the best even though it wasn't a ford engine. My father has the 6.7 and really likes it strong engine. Anyway I would go with the 2015 and i hope you get the off road !

14. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    I like the look of the new 2016's i like the features but while in college and almost having a truck payed off i won't be upgrading for at least another 4 years.

15. Mar 3, 2015 at 7:59 AM
    TheGazelle

TheGazelle [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Orange Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 4x4
    Oh man I went thru injectors, boots beneath the cab, the whole 9 yards. It was a money pit. Get this, I test drove a 7.3 with 103k miles last week and was about to buy it. Thank goodness the dealership called and said their mechanic found the head gasket was blown! That's why I'm getting a new tacoma lol.

16. Mar 3, 2015 at 9:17 AM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    They are very sound. But of course no vehicle or design is perfect. Many model years had bad rust issues because of faulty sealing by the frame manufacturer. It is stated that this has been completely fixed in recent years so you shouldn't have an issue with a 2015. One assumes they wouldn't make the same mistake with the 2016 either!

Some 2nd gens, including 2015 models, have drive line vibration issues. There is a TSB for this. There can be debate with Toyota as to what is "normal" vibration and what requires service under warranty. No one knows for sure, but based on the TSB it seems like this is a design susceptibility to manufacturing tolerances problem as the TSB involves a lot of fine tuning of drive line angles. Toyota says the 2016 drive line will not have similar issues.

After that there are a number of more minor and infrequent issues. Of course none of them seem minor or infrequent to the unlucky people they actually happen to!

I don't. But I know enough about manufacturing complicated systems that every new product is going to have minor wrinkles. And based on Toyota's history they will have a few and they will service them and correct them as discovered under warranty. But for the first few people discovering and experiencing these issues even if the vehicle is put right in the end it can be a frustrating and time consuming experience.

Sure. Do you think they can perfectly predict the consequences of every new feature or design change they make? If they could then we wouldn't have a bunch of TSBs every time they change something. The 2016 will also have a bunch of TSBs, they will be different TSBs than the 2nd gen of course. Personally I don't expect any more with the 2016 than with the 2005.

But again, it is one thing to find a problem, go on a forum and find it is covered by a TSB and go into a dealer and say please fix this check the TSB. It is a whole different thing to have a problem no one has seen before, take it into a dealer who has never seen it before, have them try a number of things, potentially fight with them about whether it is a warranty fix or not, if you pay out of pocket and then it does become a TSB with warranty extension later go to the hassle of trying to recover the money you spent.

The first scenario is what you get buying a 2015. The second scenario is what you "risk" buying a 2016. And obviously even if the 2016 has the normal expected problems and TSBs that any new vehicle will have only a fraction of owners will ever experience them.

Define "engineered better" please. Engineering is an optimization problem of many variables. Only *one* of those variables is reliability. Others include cost, efficiency, emissions controls, features the market demands and so forth. As the market demands more crap be attached to their vehicle that is just more systems to break. As CAFE insists on higher mileage that forces engineering to favor efficiency over reliability. Obviously the goal is to get the increased efficiency and maintain the reliability, but since it means adding more and more components to the system the natural outcome is lower reliability unless you put a lot more effort into the design and manufacturing. Ask 2nd gen Tundra owners about the valves in their emissions control system which routinely freeze and then force the ECU into limp mode leaving the owner dragging along at 30 mph. Does that fit into your Toyota always engineers things "better" claim? Of course not. Engineering isn't magic, bad stuff happens. Most often bad stuff happens when you change things. A new generation is precisely the change that while it brings the promise of improvements also brings the risk of new problems. To think otherwise is to ignore and deny basic experience.

Despite what I wrote above your decision seems perfectly logical to me. If I was buying next year and needed a truck then I'd probably purchase the 2016 without reservation. But I'd also know I was taking a small risk of more hassle than if I waited until 2017 or 2018. Even if it turns out my 2018 purchase has the same defect that the 2016 had the point is that the symptoms, cause and fix will have already been discovered and acknowledge by Toyota when it shows up on my 2018.

17. Mar 3, 2015 at 12:11 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm hoping we get at least an LSD in the front. Probably WAY too much to hope for but seriously....open diffs are teh suck.

18. Mar 3, 2015 at 12:25 PM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Wouldn't hold your breath. We don't even get a real LSD in the rear anymore.

19. Mar 3, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    I highly doubt this.. no engine comes complete with ZERO problems.

20. Mar 3, 2015 at 12:31 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's possible. Improbable, but not impossible.

Products Discussed in

To Top