1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to join the military - round 2.

Discussion in 'Military' started by TRDguyKC, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM
    Taco Gunner

Taco Gunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab TRD Offroad
  2. Jun 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I was hired by my local reserve unit to fly for them several years ago. Some medical issues came up and I could not fly and there weren't too many openings for non flyign positions so I decided to seperate. But this is my opinion.

Do your research on each branch and locations and what your needs are. Do the non flying AF jobs sound interesting? Does the possibliity of Minot or Clovis sound fun? If not look into the Reserves. I had several friends that though they got screwed by getting stationed in crappy places. Well its the military. They dont owe you anything. If you have a family look at the guard or reserves, but I wouldn't recommend banking on a "Part Time" guard job to feed your family.

Look into the other branches. I applied to everyone when I got out of college. The Marines took me first and they had the quickest start date. I got injured pretty bad at OCS and had to leave. I had the option to return but during my rehab the reserve unit started hirign and called on my application. If I could go back in time I would have gone back to the Marine program. Just my .02 cents. Also look into the Coast Guard.

3. Jun 14, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    375taco

375taco controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    OME lift w/ 1" spacer. Built Right UCA's. Tinted all the way around. De-badged. Trimming up front
    Well if you fly I hope you will be good I need good dudes to fly us on to target. Go to the Army do time at avaition then go 160th. Dont be a part timer.

4. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:36 AM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wow...not that easy. The 160th is uber competitive...and hard to get in to. I have worked with those dudes before. They are "interesting" and damn good at what they do.

5. Jun 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Just got back from doing an air show in Milwaukee with our F-22 Raptor. I talked to a recruiter in the booth set up next to us who recruits officers and enlisted. He said the AF is already over it's 2010 Fiscal year end strength number in recruiting. Most folks coming in now will be on the Delayed Enlistment Program for 6-8 months; possibly more. With the economy in its slump the military has no problems getting folks; tack that in with the downsizing we're doing and that makes it tougher to get in. Talking with our Raptor pilots, we actually don't have enough pilots in that area, but then again, it's really tough to get a slot there out of pilot school. You're best bet is to go to your local Guard or Reserve recruiter and talk to them.

6. Jun 14, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    LawP

LawP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR Double Cab
    I was on base in the smoke pit talking to a recruiter from North Florida about a week ago. I am being med boarded due to an major injury to my left leg, because the Coast Guard doesn't have billets for anyone who isn't FFFD. Right now it doesn't matter because the VA rated me IU, but I would really like to get that overturned so I can either go work for one of the Federal Agencies or DCO into another branch.

He said that although I would have a hard time doing it with my injury (in it's current state I would need some pretty hard to come by waivers) there are some jobs that are extremely attractive to the DOD. Virtually anyone who speaks Arabic (and can hold a security clearance), law degrees, mathematics degrees, MD's and such, are so hard to come by they tend to make exceptions usually unheard of.

I know that doesn't really help you, but it does lend some insight to just how full they are. The military has had a good 4-5 years where recruiting has exploded, and it isn't enough to simply want to stay in (in my case) or want to join up, they are at the point where they can pick and choose and you have to make yourself as attractive as possible.

7. Jun 14, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

FWIW ... I guess that you meant TDIU ? That is easy to get downgraded from the VA, but you will not be paid at 100% rate. Much harder to get it upgraded though.

With a TDIU (Total Disability Individual Unemployability) rating, the VA will most likely drop you back to less than 100% disability payments if you get any outside employment. With TDIU, your SSA records are reviewed by the VA to check on outside employment.

IMO, if you had a "P&T Rating" (Permanent & Total), you would be allowed by the VA to work in a "protected environment". This is technically true, but some VA offices have done some strange & different things to veterans with the same basic disabilities.

Believe it or not, VA Regional Offices (like the IRS) do vary in the way that they apply the same law.

8. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    375taco

375taco controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    OME lift w/ 1" spacer. Built Right UCA's. Tinted all the way around. De-badged. Trimming up front
    Well I know if i try and do something i dont half ass it. I try and be the best. Why would flying be any different? Good to have a goal not just to get in and part time it bc your married and have a kid. If you want to do something do it and try and be the best you can be. Unless you can settle for half ass.

9. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    So being "part time" is half-assing it? Really! How long have you been in the Army and what is it that you do?

10. Jun 15, 2010 at 12:41 AM
    TRDguyKC

TRDguyKC [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Thank you all for your helpful responses. I will be doing more homework in the near future and will post updates as to what it is I decide to do.

Keep the info comming though, i really take it seriously and really do appreciate it.

11. Jun 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    375taco

375taco controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    I have been in for 9 years and dont worry about what I do. Everyone has a opinion and I am entitled to that. You dont have to like it.

12. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    375taco

375taco controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    I think we can either start a new thread or PM each other on this subject. I know I am stepping on his thread (my bad). If you have an opinion we can debate then we can debate the two. Maybe you will show me some light on your views, or maybe I can show you some of the light on mine...?

13. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    I'm sorry, as a Reservists, the idea that the Reserves primarily promote from within is not true.

We hire people straight off the street all the time, enlisted and commissioned! And I'm sure your father will have some contacts with Commanders in reserve squadrons that can help get your foot in the door.

Talk to your Dad, find a Reserve Squadron that's nearby and has what you want to fly and start talking to them BEFORE you talk to a recruiter. Get your commission man. I went E and still am, but finally got my pilot slot for next July. You'll love the Reserves!:cool:

14. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I doubt there will be any light shed on anything...I would concur with taking it to PMs- because you are going to find there are a lot of people here who don't agree with your POV and I'd rather see this advice thread stay somewhat intact...

15. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers
    Half assing it uh? How about the fact that without the Reserves, the Air Force would have failed at moving personnel and cargo since 9/11, which would've included all your shit. Even now, with the flow continuing slowing down, we still have sqadrons activated? Flying the exact same missions? Where do you think all these Reservists come from? My squadron personally has the highest hours Pilot and Loadmaster in the entire Air Force. Not braggin, but I don't think you get to that point by half assing it.

16. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    air force isnt taking any officers except from the academy right now as we are 5500 airman... just to give you a insiders suggestion, army and marines are ruff on the family 15 month deployments.

navy and air force are my choice. Air Force is the best for the families, better housing etc.

everyone that i have heard likes AD over Guard, but they are single 18-23, I love the Air Force. but that is my .02

17. Jun 15, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    Maybe... but unless one is prior enlisted in special ops or airborne ops, itt's hard to get a pliot slot out of OTS for the Air Force. I have only met one person that managed to do that and he was 9 year enlisted.

It's not easy for ROTC either, you have to be in top 20% of graduating class and must not have any health issues. Since you are not ROTC eligible, that's beside the point.

Your best chance at flying would be to do USMC. I was in the Platoon Leaders Program and they have a special contract just for aviation. Granted you are more likely to fly helos for the marines. I only switched to the Air Force because of an ROTC scholarship and my financial situation at the time.

18. Jun 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    You need an education on the reserves and national guard (both air and army) and this as good as place to do it since the OP is considering both.

Depending on the unit, a Guardsman or Reservist can spend as much, if not more time, deployed in support of operations in theater or elsewhere around the world. When I was in the Air Guard, I flew substantially more than most C-130 crewman did in the active duty. I was in theater before the war started and we stayed after most AD units were gone. I have been to over 50 countries and flown in Operations you have probably never heard of...and have done so for nearly twice as long as you have been in.

Gone are the days of the weekend warrior...far gone. We are HEAVILY involved in combat operations and ANYONE who has deployed knows that. Traditionally, the Guard and Reserve have a higher level of experience due to the fact that many folks come off active duty and then want to finish out their 20 in the Reserve Components. The crews in my unit have more experience than the AD folks 25 yards to our south. Our "half-ass" crews do the mission with no less dedication and competence than any other unit out there. All "half-ass" members are dedicated to the their military jobs and do an extraordinary job of balancing family like, civilian employment, and military duties and should be commended for it. I was AD at one time and I can tell, there is WAY more stress for me in the Reserves than there EVER was on AD. I have to balance more things and be proficient at both civilian employment and military employment. It is hard..but I love what I do and do it well.

There are ongoing operations that are manned by guard or reserve ONLY and they have been running for years.

Your comments are degrading and disrespectful to thousands of Guardsman and Reservist who are doing the mission and sacrificing dearly. We do NOT half-ass anything and to imply such shows weapons grade ignorance to the truth. I am embrassed for you and those than perpetuate that mindset.

This IS relative to this thread. Many people are unaware of the resources and experience that Reserve Components bring to the fight. Many (clearly) are also unaware of the commitment one has to make to be in the military, regardless of status. This is NOT a part-time job, or half-assed as some would think. One has to think long and hard before committing themselves to military service and realize the demands it will place on your personal and professional life. Knowing and accepting that, you can press forward and pursue a true calling.

SOAP BOX.....DISMOUNT!

19. Jun 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    USNROBERTS

USNROBERTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PRERUNNER SR5 TRD SPORT
    You are an educated person. Dont enlist.

20. Jun 15, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    Taco Gunner

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Dude, I was a C-17 stage manager (don't hate!) at ETAR over the winter and can attest to the fact that the C-17 Reserve Squadrons brought in the most experienced (and well behaved) crews out there. All the crews did a great job and I was impressed.

One Fight!

Products Discussed in

To Top