1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

want to learn how to weld. ?'s

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mntbiker2008, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:22 PM
    Hunter'06FLKY

Hunter'06FLKY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners, OME 884's, Toyotec AAL, Differential Breather, PIAA Fog's, K & N Air Filter, Definity Dakota M/T's, Cherry Bomb Extreme High Clearance
    everything that i did was stick welding. it was definitely hard to get used to it on the thinner metals.

2. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    If you can stick weld sheet metal than I would say you could probably mig weld anything

3. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    The house has a gas dryer. :duel: :D

Could you elaborate on what the auto set feature does?

4. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    You set your wire size and material thickness and it sets your amperage and wire feed for you

5. Nov 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    It does an okay job too, but I usually end up just setting it up manually because I get better results that way.

6. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    big thanks for all the info guys! definitely helps a lot

7. Nov 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
  8. Nov 9, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    mig is easy. Just read a book, watch some videos, and practice.

9. Nov 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    You can get away buying a smaller welder and still welding thicker plate than what it is used for. You just need to grind the plates in a v shape or bevel them and run mutiple passes. Being 15 years certified in welding by AWS this is what is taught in school as well since you might not beable to have a bigger welder for the actual thickness that it is rated for. I have a 110 Lincoln from a welding shop not like Home Depot, there will be differences in them as in duty cycle for how long it can run a continueing bead non stop. Most of these are only like 20 to 30% Duty cycle before the welder will shut down welding non stop. Also some of the welders do not come with a gas solenoid so you can not use a gas cylinder with them. So you need to check these few things out before you buy. I have used my little 110 for over 12 yrs and no problems welding body panels,patching up frame holes,welding up bumpers and other numerous things around the house. Just keep in mind that the welder I have has a max capacity of welding 3/16 plate with a single bead. Now if you go thicker you just need to bevel or groove the plates and add more beads to the plates.
    Going with Flux core or technical term FCAW, Flux Core Arc Welding, it is stronger than the solid wire using the shield gas. The shielding thats in the wire gives you better protection and it can run hotter. It is also better to use if you have dirty metal and are outside as others have mentioned. But its main purpose is that digs into the metal deeper than GMAW process or solid wire with the shielding gas. Mig welding is what they call a spray transfer process or (Short circuit transfer) which is more or less sprayed onto the surface.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/mig_handbook.pdf
    http://www.thefabricator.com/article/arcwelding/getting-the-best-results-in-gas-shielded-fcaw
    With running solid wire you half to have very clean metal and little or no wind so that your shielding gas does not get blown away.
    Now choosing a welder off Craigslist could be a good chose if you can try it out or see it in action. Or if you can test it electrically. Everything can look good but a fried mother board and you in the price of a new welder to replace it. So check it out or ask questions about it. I have a Millermatic 250 thats 16 yrs old and is still in good shape and welds great, I just picked it up from my grand parents house and brought it to mine to start some new projects. Its a great welder as well as my 110. I use them both.
    Definatley spend the money on a good Auto darkening helmet. A cheap one wont change as quick and as time goes by you will start having eye problems. Not good. The lense needs to change at least 20,000 of a second or quicker or you will be putting more strain on your eyes than needs to be. Most of the major manufactures as Jackson,Hornell,Huntsman are some of the good helmets. You can get a solar powered one or battery operated one. But make sure they have at least 2 or more eyes in the front of the lense. These are for sensing the light to darken. If you cover these up by your arm or welding out of position you helmet might not change to the dark lense and you will get a wedling flash. To many of these and you can get whats called Arc flash. This can be very painful and permanent depending on the severity. It will feel like sand paper in your eyes. You will need to go to the doctor to fix this and have it checked out.
    Get some good leather welding gloves that are not to bulky and a gauntlet style,welding jacket that covers you down to your waist so that when welding over head or laying on your back you dont end up with little hot molten metal in your skin. This is not fun when you cant get out from what your welding quick enough to put out the burning flesh smell.:eek:
    So hope this helps some and not to confusing.

dk_crew likes this.
  10. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 [OP] First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    thank you very much!

11. Jan 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    Subscribed.
    I'm in the same boat as the OP. I'm looking to get in to welding. I have tried it once and want to learn. I have 220v in my garage and was debating whether a 220 welder would be overkill for a beginner. I want to get a versatile unit that I won't be wanting to upgrade in the near future.

12. Jan 15, 2011 at 8:20 PM
    kbp68

kbp68 hey...I can change this!

Member:
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road DC/SB
    3" Pro Comp Lift/Level, ARB Winch Bumper, Superwinch UT3000,White Sport Grille, Bedliner'd rocker panels, Draw-Tite brake controller
    You didn't just pick up a welder and learn to lay a bead like that overnight. That looks professional! How long did it take you to do that?

Here is some examples of what the miller can do with an amateur like me.
    IMG_2559_279d9f2d77f782c7716eebc5e8c687bca33b7934.jpg

IMG_2539_02074d905c2cf028a7699ff086d081944ab235ce.jpg

IMG_2598_479922cc76a49fedd07c41287fb07f32bda0ab8c.jpg[/QUOTE]

13. Jan 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Thanks!
    It really is not as difficult as it seems. I've been welding off and on for about 7 years (more off than on). Honestly with a few hours of practice with a good teacher I think anyone could lay beads like that.

oh and the trailer took about 3 weeks to build.

Products Discussed in

To Top