1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Want to repaint truck a different color

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Buckaroo1993, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Mar 18, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    Buckaroo1993

Buckaroo1993 [OP] Who?? ME??

Member:
    First Name:
    Vinny
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4L BSP DCSB TRD OFF-ROAD/SR5 4WD
    17x9 HELO HE878 with Hankook RF10 DYNAPRO AT-M LT275/70R17 RCD/Billie's Front and Rear with OME 883's and HS Progressive AAL Resulting in 3"+ Lift LR SPC UCA'S Diff Drop K&N Cold Air Intake LED's Exterior/Interior
    Was curious what the approximate cost would be to repaint my truck, correctly, to a satin black? No body work required. It's a 2003 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD in OEM Black Sand Pearl. I live in western Georgia.

2. Mar 18, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I think you may need to clarify what "correctly" means because there are wildly differing opinions as to that when it comes to paint. For instance, are you worried about "correctly" painting door jambs, between the cab & box, under the hood, etc? My definition of "correctly" means that all of that stuff gets painted. And to do that correctly, everything attached to those areas needs to come off so that the old paint can be properly prepared for the new paint and you don't paint over stuff that the factory didn't originally paint. Are you worried proper sanding, masking, surface preparation, paint application (thickness, gloss, striping, overspray, etc?) My definition of correctly would mean that even to the trained eye, it would be difficult to tell the vehicle had been painted. (Except for the fact that you'd be painting it a color that was never offered by Toyota from the factory.)

Around here, a "properly" done paint job involving a color change is at least $10,000. Yea, it's that hard (and thus expensive) to do it correctly. I'm sure you could get somebody to shoot it for two or three grand, but the results will be awful - and irreversible.

BTW, a poorly done paint job is an absolute killer for resale value - especially if you change the color.

3. Mar 18, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Almost as much as the truck is worth if it has average miles and maintenance for the year. I'm assuming of course that by 'correctly' you mean as if it had come that way. That's a lot-'o-stuff.

Now if you just want the outside, and don't care that the jambs/underhood/tailgate are shiny when you open them, you'll still be looking at a fair chunk of change. You say no body work. It may not have dents, bends or rust, but there will be hours of sanding and prep for it to be right.

If you just want the 'look', you might look into a wrap.

Or do it up in bedliner. Not the rough stuff, but something from www.monstaliner.com

4. Mar 18, 2017 at 4:02 PM
    Buckaroo1993

Buckaroo1993 [OP] Who?? ME??

Member:
    First Name:
    Vinny
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2003 3.4L BSP DCSB TRD OFF-ROAD/SR5 4WD
    17x9 HELO HE878 with Hankook RF10 DYNAPRO AT-M LT275/70R17 RCD/Billie's Front and Rear with OME 883's and HS Progressive AAL Resulting in 3"+ Lift LR SPC UCA'S Diff Drop K&N Cold Air Intake LED's Exterior/Interior
    It appears this is not an option. :frusty:

5. Mar 18, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    PackCon likes this.
  6. Mar 18, 2017 at 4:27 PM
    Jmad1997

Jmad1997 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD sport long bed 6" fab tech lift
    Vinyl wrap.... cost less than that paint job and very hard to mess up since the base paint is black already so you wouldn't need to pay extra for door jams and what not. Also it technically is not a color change so if you want to sell the truck It can pull off keeping factory paint good. Use a quality film 3M, Avery Dennison, Etc. they have a 3 year warranty as well. A professional install can be about 3,000$ give or take depending on the shop. Could be worth looking into

outlawtacoma and bigshane like this.
  7. Mar 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
  8. Mar 18, 2017 at 4:34 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    Your link don't work and I have never heard of the stuff.

Never mind I found it. I would not do it myself that is why I'm going with Line-X.

9. Mar 18, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    Sorry. Www.monstaliner.com

You dont have to DIY. You can have a shop spray it. Its worth spending the time to look around the site and read up on it.

CusterFan likes this.
  10. Mar 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wrap FTW

Jmad1997 likes this.
  11. Mar 18, 2017 at 5:06 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    A member on here went from BSP to satin black and paid right over $6k. From what I was told here locally is that satin colors are harder to work with in order to get each spray to blend. If there are any runs at all then they have to sand the area down and start all over. A guy I work with paid almost $8k to have his Silverado painted satin white.

12. Mar 18, 2017 at 6:46 PM
    flsupraguy

flsupraguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yikes! Doing a complete repaint (engine bay, door jams, ect) is very $$$$ better off buying a new truck if you want a color change

13. Mar 19, 2017 at 4:56 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    It is very expensive and requires a lot of work to find a reputable body shop that will be be able to do the best post-factory paint job. Even then, understand, no re-paint is ever going to match the quality of a factory paint job.

Also, you have a 2003, unless it's been parked in the garage this whole time, you probably have some body work to be done. I drive a 2013 and I've already spend $300 on paintless dent repair to get door dings out of it. (Disclaimer: I bought it used and the previous owner was clearly and idiot).

I like Scooters idea of going with a full Line-X.

A repaint can be done, it's just very expensive and needs to be done right or you are going to be left with a poorly finished truck where paint will crack and peel over time. So just make sure you do your do-diligence.

CusterFan likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top