1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanting a good beginner pistol

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by YoaterBoater, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dec 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM
    YoaterBoater

YoaterBoater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    I shot my buddys berretta 92f a while back and loved that thing. I ran a can from 10 yards, but I doubt thats even good for all I know about it. Been around guns near about all my life and since im of age to have a pistol, Id like to get one to keep in the truck and shoot on the weekends. Im not looking to spend tons on money on an XD or kimber. I just want something that will bring me closer to the sport and then ill worry about dropping the cash for a nice one. Ive heard good and bad things about Taurus. Ive found one that I like that is a Taurus 809 9mm. Would this be a good gun to start off with or what would yall recommend? Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    Kredence

Kredence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '00 Runner
    The only bad part about a Taurus is that it costs 100-200 less than everything else. Most run like a champ.

I carry 4 different handguns depending on how I'm dressed and where I'm going. (work, out to eat, out in the desert and so on)

Like Wolfpack said, it's all about how it fits you. I tell people that guns are like gloves. I personally can't stand the feeling of a Sig but it's a great firearm. Glocks and 1911 are my personal favorites.

Also, do not get hung up on cartridge size. My 45 is slower than the rest but hits like a sledgehammer. The 9mm gets there faster, with less take down. My .40 is a good combo. With that in mind, do you think I would shoot once? I'm not stopping until the slide is locked back.

My 2cents.

3. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    Unzapato

Unzapato Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    ^^^ What he said if you definitely want an auto. They make Glocks in all popular pistol calibers to suit just about anyone, but some people don't like the feel of them. I don't own one, but I have fired a few and that flat slide makes it very quick to acquire targets and get the sights lined up. Glocks are sweet.

If you don't mind a wheel gun, you can usually pick up a .357 revolver pretty cheap. It's a good caliber for self protection, and you can fire .38 special ammo out of it for plinking/practicing. Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the only ammo cheaper than .38 spcl is .22 rimfire. Very economical way to get your marksmanship skills up. I'm not sure if .38 spcl has enough umph to cycle a .357 automatic. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

4. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:07 PM
    Unzapato

Unzapato Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    My 3rd Tacoma
    Blank slate - brand new!
    Amen to that

5. Dec 8, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    YoaterBoater

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    I never really thought of how a gun would feel differently in my hands. Im a taller guy (6'3) so I reckon my hands are a bit bigger than most. Maybe I should go with a large frame pistol instead of a medium/compact style. Id love to get my hands on a 1911. That is hands down the best looking gun ive ever seen. My friends dad has one, maybe he will let me take his to the range and send a few down range.

6. Dec 9, 2011 at 7:34 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i'm a S&W M&P guy, so i'll throw that out there for you to try, ...i think they're still comparably priced to glocks. m&P9 is a great "full size" handgun, ...large capacity and shoots like a dream!

7. Dec 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    My first pistol was an FNH P40. Belgian firm, but made in the USA. Supplies the US military with alot of firepower.

Anyway, the P40 is still my favorite handgun. Reasonably priced, quality firearm, easy to shoot, good stopping power with minimal kick, similar to a 9mm.

The best advice anyone can give you is to try out as many handguns as you can. One will very quickly feel right and you will be more accurate with it than any of the others.

Good luck, have fun, and don't rush your decision.

8. Dec 9, 2011 at 8:15 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    My two cents.
    Your best bet is to go to a range and try out every gun you think that you will like it's worth the 100-150 bucks to shoot many different guns and decide what fit you personally. After that, or even before that, take some gun safety classes or a ccw class even if you have no intention of getting a ccw. I believe all DNR's have a FREE gun safety class every other weekend or so, go take one I've been shooting since I can remember but I still take a DNR class every year because with guns, and other things that have the potential to take a life or ruin one, you can NEVER be to safe. Now personally I love the G22 that I have it's simple, clean, easy to clean, and has only jammed on me twice which was due to bad ammo. I thought that Glock was the only way to go with handguns until I held a Springfield Arms XD .45 but haven't shot one yet. If it shoots as good as it looks and feels then I'll have one soon.

tl;dr
    1. Gun Safety. Free classes given by local DNR
    2. Go to a range and pick one.
    3. You can NEVER be to safe with guns.
    4. Did I say gun safety? ok good. :thumbsup:

9. Dec 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM
    CrackerJackMack

CrackerJackMack First class awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 TRDoff
    ^^ what he said about safety

Also, I've fired many of pistols in my time and I like most of what I've shot (except a snub nosed revolver and some really weird 9mm long pull pistol). So far, my favorites are the Beretta 92FS, Sig Sauer P250 compact, and the Sig Sauer P239 Equionx. The sig P238 is OK, but too small for my hands.. not a shooters pistol.

The pistol you picked is a nice starter pistol, but you might want focus on what you want:

• Want to get your CHL, get a compact that is also your shooter
    • Want just a shooter/home defense, might look into the Beretta
    • Not sure? Go with your gut on this as everyone is going to have an opinion and only a few are going to match up with your hand/shooting style.

There just isn't any way to tell honestly.

10. Dec 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    The best thing to do is find a Range that rents firearms. Take your time and shoot as many as you can. I have two Sigs and love them. One of the most important things in consideringa gun is the fit. They sell different grips as well. You can get Pachmyer grips or Houge, I have them as well. Ruger is also a nice firearm you might want to try. Don't worry about looks, a good looking gun won't save your ass on looks alone !

11. Dec 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    mackattack07

mackattack07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    william
    Jacksonville NC/Graceville FL
    Vehicle:
    99 Prerunner 3.4/2000 4Runner3.4/85 Pickup22R
    I love my 9x18 makarov. I take it everywhere. its basicly the AK of pistols and there like 180 bucks brand new. its only two downfalls are the clip release doesn't facilitate fast mag changes and ammo is a tad harder to find. This was my first handgun many many moons ago. just my 2 cents!

12. Dec 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Smith and Wesson M&P 40 FTW.

Drop some more cash, get a Sig P-229.

13. Dec 10, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    Kredence

Kredence Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '00 Runner
    YoaterBoater
    Do any of your friends have guns? I know if someone is new to the shooting and comes out with my group, we usually bring a number of guns for them to try.

There is nothing like seeing someone be scared/cautious of a gun, knock out a couple shots and then smile like they just got laid for the first time.

14. Dec 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    CrackerJackMack

CrackerJackMack First class awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 TRDoff
    true story :) Though, sometimes if they grab the wrong gun it's enough to ruin them for the whole day. We've had to take one of my wife's friends out 2-3 times to get her really comfortable shooting. Needless to say she likes my pistol the best :p

15. Dec 10, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    YoaterBoater

Member:
    Running tubes, Toolbox
    Yea ive got several friends that carry pistols and go shoot every now and then. I know a guy with a 38 and a 357, another friend with a 92f, and another with 1911.

16. Dec 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM
    WhatThePho?

WhatThePho? Greg Graffin 2016

Member:
    First Name:
    Andre
    HCMC, VN
    Vehicle:
    2006 STi
    The things required to pull bitches
    If you want a good polymer pistol look into a sig pro 9mm they run about 380-400.
    Or a Springfield xd. Right now they got a promo for 3 free mags with purchase of any xd. Plus they have an essential package( just gun and 2 mags, 40 or 9 mm only) for 399

17. Jan 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Pit Snipe 1997

Pit Snipe 1997 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma Off Road
    Bed lined the rear bumper caps, LED lights in the interior, rear bed LEDs, red letter glove box inserts, center console coin box, set of Wildpeaks from my 2014 Tacoma that I traded in and removed the factory running boards.
    nothing beats a 1911

Products Discussed in

To Top