1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wanting to add CC on 03 taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by davidss03, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
  2. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    JDBECK23

JDBECK23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma Reg Cab 4 cyl 4x4
    David, what are the specs on your truck? Im running a Reg Cab 3RZ 4x4. Because I dont have the ETCSi stuff on my truck, I needed the actuator, brain, clutch switch and the harness to make it all work. If your truck has ETCSi (fly by wire throttle), then the ECM runs the cruise control, there's no separate computer to run it. There's an actuator that mounts in the engine bay, and then the stalk on the steering wheel.

What Toyotapartszone may be saying is they dont have the parts for your truck if that's your setup. I bought the kit above, but that kit may not work on your truck depending on your specs....

Just thinking out loud here.

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    davidss03

davidss03 [OP] Member

Member:
    Milledgeville
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 extended cab
    cold air intake
    I have an 03 V6 5spd. 4x4. That seems to be what someone told me earlier in this thread. How do i find out if it's ETCSi?

4. Nov 7, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    Well I can guarantee you that CC was made for our trucks, as I too have a 03 V6 5spd and it has factory CC.

5. Nov 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    JDBECK23

JDBECK23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    King George, Va
    Vehicle:
    '01 Tacoma Reg Cab 4 cyl 4x4
    Well... instead of a throttle cable connecting your gas pedal to the throttle body, there will be an electrical wire. There's a distinct difference in the feel of the gas pedal of a standard throttle cable compared to the electronic fly by wire setup. The fly by wire setup usually has alot less tension in the movement of the gas pedal and usually has a slight grittiness to the feel of the pedal... You could always pop the hood and look at the throttle body, that would probably be easiest!

6. Nov 8, 2010 at 5:20 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    LINK?

7. May 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    <much snipped>

Brand new member (first post!) bringing a long dead thread back to life.

I'm in so far probably 3 or 4 hours, but I had to redo the actuator and control pedal because I misunderstood the parking brake connector. I bent the tab over but did not disconnect the electrical connector from the tab, it was still snapped into place. I got the actuator to fit but it was touching this connector and when I started routing the harness on the driver's side it would not reach. I had to remove the accelerator pedal and actuator to get room to snap it out of the tab. On the upside, I now /know/ how to remove the actuator fast should it fail. LOL!

I am putting cruise control in my new to me 2001 and this post has been helpful even though the photos are no longer hosted. Google has cached a couple of them and it would have been super helpful to see the harness wiring photos to understand how it routes up the driver's side of the heater and over the J/B #3 and steering column, but I'm figuring it out.

None-the-less, thanks JDBECK23 for the write up just the same.

This I believe (not seeing the photos) sounds like the connector for the daytime running lights. The instructions mention something to the effect of "if there is an ECU here remove it" during disassembly. It was at that point I had to remove a control box for my DRL. This connector has a whole lot more pins in it that you would expect just for a box that turns off and on the headlights. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but I have not encountered any other unused connectors so far, so just as guess since probably not all Tacos have DRL.

FWIW, the OE kit was still available in March 2013, I got it from Safro Toyota (toyotapartsmall.com).

The clear sticky pad that is supposed to protect the J/B #3 was slightly yellowed and the adhesive was next to useless, so probably not a current production kit... I chucked it and will use a couple pieces of duct tape. The black foam that wraps around the J/B did work.

Last edited: May 18, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top