1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

warming up in winter?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tig1, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Feb 6, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    Until idle slows to normal

2. Feb 6, 2010 at 3:48 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

Exactly.

Do you warm up your body by sitting in a chair? No. You get out and do a jog before starting a sprint.

3. Feb 11, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    BradleyGrillo

BradleyGrillo Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport, SR5
    Not sure if you guys listen to Car Talk at all. I have put a lot of faith in those guys over the years and this is the gist of what they have to say:

In older cars with carburetors and lower tolerance engine manufacturing, it was necessary to warm up the car. With fuel injection and higher quality engines this is no longer the case. The biggest problem with letting the car idle is that the fuel is burning so inefficiently that the byproducts end up coating the valves and especially the catalytic converter. Over time, this buildup prevents the catalytic converter from doing its job, and the truck becomes a gross polluter (not to say that they're not already, but they will start letting the NASTY stuff out like sulfur and nitrogen dioxide (SOx and NOx.) In addition you'll experience poorer engine performance due to the buildup on the inside of your cylinders, manifold and valves.

That being said they recommend 30 seconds in pretty cold climates, and maybe a minute in the coldest of times. This gets the oil moving and ensures you don't put too much stress on things immediately. Drive like your grandmother for the first few minutes also.

If it's frequently very cold where you live, get an oilpan or engine block heater and set it on a timer for a few hours before you plan on leaving your house. Then you'll have a nice warm engine seconds after you fire it up, and won't be wasting your gas and engine by warming it up.

$0.01 to Click, $0.01 to Clack

4. Feb 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    ShaShasBoo

ShaShasBoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Prerunner
    I usually start mine up, then go back in and make a pot of coffee. Usually by this time it's nice and toasty inside and I dont have to scrape windows. So to answer the question, I warm my truck up for about 6 cups.

5. Feb 11, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I perform the same routine just about everyday, bitter cold or mid-summer. I get in and turn the ignition to "on". I wait a couple of seconds to allow the injectors to prime and then start up. As soon as the idle settles I pull into drive and set off very slowly to the stop sign at the end of my street. When I pull out I do so slowly and accelerate lightly alowing the auto-trans to shift smoothly. Drives my wife nuts sometimes but like Krazie said......Light stretch and jog before full out sprint.

6. Feb 11, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    depends on how long it takes me to put on my seat belt.

7. Feb 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I typically keep my vehicles for a long time. I had a 87 GMC Safari van for 15 years and 300,000+ miles. I have a 95 Ford Explorer now my daughter drives that has 185,000 miles. I also have a 91 Corvette that is barely broken it. My point is I keep vehicles a long time and have never let them warm up be driving them. I also don't start them and immediately start driving them like I stole them.

If you let your truck warm up setting still, there may be fewer drive line parts moving. Moving parts being driven gently are not necessarily under any more stress from moving than when sittiing.

8. Feb 11, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I agree completely. I have a Lincoln Navigator that has to be the coldest running truck I've ever seen. When the weather is much below 32 degrees F, it just will not warm up without driving it. Even then it takes a good 15 miles or more for it to loosen up!

9. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I have a starter so:
    when its cold - usually 5 mins or till the windows start to defrost
    when its warm - a couple mins
    when its hot - usually 5 mins to get veh cool.

on all the above , drive easy for first few miles to get the driveline temps up.

10. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:11 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    i let er warm up for atleast 5 mins on a -10c, when its like -30 i warm er up for atleast 10 mins.

11. Feb 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Anyone know a person who turns the starter, and pulls the shifter into "D" in one smooth motion? Revs still high, pedal to the metal, "look out here I come"...... Makes me cringe. :eek:

12. Feb 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    Creemore

Creemore Well-Known Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic grey TRD Sport/leather pkg.
    The benefit of driving off right away is not so much that it warms up faster as that it warms up evenly. This matters with newer engines where tolerances are so tight and so many different metals are used. I don't let mine idle cold, my .02.

13. Feb 12, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1

I'll see your cringe and raise you one.

i park with my transmission in R, so all i have to do, is start and let out the clutch.

Products Discussed in

To Top