1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warn Zeon Platinum Winch

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Matt Sierra, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Nov 16, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    Matt Sierra

Matt Sierra [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MT
    Maggy SC, C4 Overland front bumper
    I've had my Warn Zeon Platinum 10S winch for about 3 months now, used it in one recovery and pulled a bush out of the yard with it. My thoughts on this may evolve as I have it longer.

I have it installed in a C4 overland series front bumper, I didn't need to relocate the control box, but I did have to cut a little out of the front of the hood latch support bracket. Wiring was easy, although the harness isn't super flexible given the wire gauge.

I went for the Platinum because I knew the winch wouldn't be very easy to get to in the C4 bumper, but in retrospect I wish I'd gone for the wired remote. I've had terrible battery life with the remote, it lasts less than a day on a full charge even if I've turned it off and am not using it. Warn has told me that this isn't normal and has sent a replacement. I'll update the review if it is any better with the replacement remote.

The winch pulls quickly and well, no issues with how it works (once you charge the remote). We'll see how it holds up to weather.

One feature that I do like, although it's probably not worth the price difference from the regular Zeon, is the ability to control lights from winch. I wired my lightbar into the winch and can control it from the remote. This meant I didn't need to run anything through the firewall. For folks like me who want a light bar (and maybe ditch lights someday) but don't need an spod, this is a nice way to keep the cabin clean.

You do have to buy a separate harness: https://www.warn.com/short-light-harness-kit-zeon-93373

In short, it's a nice winch, probably not worth 1.6k, and the wireless remote still needs some work. I'll keep using it because I already bought it and installed it, but probably wouldn't if I could do it over.

doublethebass likes this.
  2. Nov 16, 2020 at 9:03 PM
    Matt Sierra

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MT
    Some photos to show the install better.

This is where I had to cut the hood latch support, it's ugly, but no one has to see it.

The plug for the light harness is a little hard to reach in my install, but seems secure.

View from above behind the grille:

Remote is out of battery again:

Just enough room to wrench the fairlead bolts:

3. Nov 25, 2020 at 9:33 PM
    Matt Sierra

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro MT
    Update: I contacted Warn again regarding the terrible battery life I'd had with the wireless remote (less than 12 hours before the remote would die, even when it was off and not being used). I called them this time since I'd never gotten a response to my prior email request. They confirmed that my experience was not expected (the rep told me the remote should stay charged for months when off and not being used) and sent a replacement. The replacement remote arrived a week ago and has held its charge much better.

I wonder whether there was a bad batch of remotes/ batteries given the other bad reviews I've read.

Short version, if you have battery life issues with your Platinum, call Warn! Their email support is terrible currently (apparently due to COVID?), but phone support was great. I just emailed the rep my proof of purchase and had the replacement remote in my hands within a week.

Grossomotto and doublethebass like this.
  4. Dec 11, 2020 at 6:43 AM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    There's some info in this thread

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/battery-issues-on-warn-xeon-platinum-wireless-remote.633255/

Products Discussed in

To Top