1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WARNING!! DO NOT BUY ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS FOR YOUR 2016 TACOMA!!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by OddTaco, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Jan 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM
    calvinroks

calvinroks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos UCA's with King Suspension. Method NV's and 285/70/17 BFG KO2's
    Icon Build Update: Got a call back from the owner of the install shop that was scheduled to install my Icon Stage 4 kit this Saturday. Icon and the other distributors had been closed for the holidays after I asked him to talk to them to express my concerns about it after reading about it in this forum. I linked him to the group posts about it so he could read first hand so he knew the right questions to ask. He told me that his distributor has had to swap out 3 Icon setups so far because of unhappy customers. He told me to absolutely avoid the Icon stuff for my 2016 right now. This is coming from a person who loves and heavily promotes Icon for all earlier builds, claiming it had the best ride of them all. He suggested I use the King Shocks with the Total Chaos UCA's, which I'm going to do. Unfortunately, now I'm going to have to wait 2 more weeks for the Kings to come in. Well worth the wait though, according to him. I know several people have had good luck with the Icon stuff of their 2016's, and I'm happy for them, but too many people have had bad experiences for me to try it...

2. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:26 PM
    HiFire

HiFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5,4x4,DCSB,Auto
    Weathertech mats, BAMF sliders, US Offroad front winch bumper, RCI Alum. Skid plates, ICON suspension, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, JBA uca's, Allpro u-bolt flip,
    Just for clarification. Certain suspension companies are stating that the 2015 and 2016 suspension geometries are the same.

2015-2016

Upper and lower ball joints are the same distance apart?

Ball joints travel in the same arc?

Control arms are mounted to the frame at the same height and distance?

Weight over the front axle is relatively close?

Why wouldn't the suspension companies use the same components between the years?

Not trying to piss anyone off just trying to understand what the problems are.

3. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:32 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DC, 6 spd, TRD Sport
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    The problem is that some guys in here aren't understanding that the 16's are already an inch higher than previous years. Just ride height. So if you crank your coilovers to gain 3" more lift, you are actually riding at closer to 4". That leaves you with a shitty ride with no downtravel left. I agree with Icon when they advise against that.

Rock Lobster likes this.
  4. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:39 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    People's Democratic Republic of Canuckistan
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    It sounds like most of the issues are coming from a change in the front strut assembly that has led to the pre load of the front springs not being exactly the same which has led to coil overs being designed for the 2015 not getting the same level of lift, measured from stock, as the 2016 which had led to people over pre loading their Icons which has led to shitty ride quality. Sorry for the run on.

That all being said there is no doubt in my mind that most or all of the coil over makers saw that the trucks weigh close to the same (~200 lbs difference) and had the same front end components so, without testing going past test fitting, they said their 2015 stuff was perfect for the 2016's. IMHO a 200 lbs weight change plus the apparent change in the front end preload or strut shows with the issues people have complained, rightly or wrongly, about shows that the aftermarket suspension companies didn't do enough testing on their product to sell it for the 2016 with the expectations people have from aftermarket coil overs.

5. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    I called it before the 2016 even came out that the rear suspension and the front looked the exact same. Funny how it actually is now. I also wouldn't call a 200lb difference over the front axle relatively close. That can mean the difference between 600# springs and 700# springs, different valving configurations over the 2nd gen right out of the gate, etc.

6. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    I think if Icon and others had of made this clear, if that is the true full extent of the issue, right off that bat instead of listing everywhere that their product would give 3" of additional lift over stock then threads like this would of never existed. Instead they likely half assed their testing, limiting it to making sure things fit and that's it, which led to some misleading advertising and butt hurt customers.

deeezy[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:43 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Yup. People change springs just for a 140 lbs of bumper and winch. Manufacturers say you MUST do that. If the weight changed that much over the front with the 2016's it makes sense to change the product for the new truck instead of cutting corners and offering a product that fits but isn't designed for the changes in application... but hey WTF do I know.

12TRDTacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    King ext travel coilovers, Icon tubular UCA's Rear-King "Tundra" 2.5's, Allpro Expos, TRD cat-back, Hurst/Core short shift kit, etc...
    I wonder what # springs are on King's coilovers for the 2016?

9. Jan 6, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    King also will change the spring rate on their shocks to basically anything you want when you order. I wonder if they are shipping out heavier or longer coils for 2016's without telling anyone. It wouldn't be the first time someone does something like that.

10. Jan 6, 2016 at 7:04 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Exactly. Aftermarket cutting corners FTL.

This is why I took all the technical knowledge I have and that of which I aquired through this forum as well, and just built my own coilovers for cheaper to fit the truck using the spring rate and valving that I wanted. They remain on the truck happy to this day. :thumbsup:

11. Jan 6, 2016 at 7:39 PM
    HiFire

HiFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5,4x4,DCSB,Auto
    Weathertech mats, BAMF sliders, US Offroad front winch bumper, RCI Alum. Skid plates, ICON suspension, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, JBA uca's, Allpro u-bolt flip,
    Deeezy we are on the same page. Spring rate change with the other components staying the same. Spring rate based on vehicle weight and add-ones. Don't go over 3" on a 2015 and 2" on a 2016.

12. Jan 6, 2016 at 7:45 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Correct! That's exactly what I'm thinking. Techinically you could crank coilovers to get you 3" over stock but the ride would prob feel like a second gen cranked to 4".

13. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:03 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    So does the 3rd gen have 1" of additional ground clearance over the 2nd gen... or did other things change and they raised it up to compensate for the loss of ground clearance.

14. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:14 PM
    HiFire

HiFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5,4x4,DCSB,Auto
    We need frame specs for the 2015 and 2016 to correctly answer that question.

15. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    You should ask that in the "what you need to know about lifting your 2016" thread. That's where I read it.

16. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:43 PM
    MaxxTRD

MaxxTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maxx
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Off Road
    King Extended Travel Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Kings with Icon AAL, Cab mount Chop, 305/70/16 KO2s Moto metal wheels CBI Off Road Fab bumper and sliders Rad industries grill
    Well ..shit...

17. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:43 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
  18. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:51 PM
    Sterdog

Sterdog Offline

Member:
    First Name:
    I am Groot
    Vehicle:
    15 FoST
    Hmmm...

While measuring from the hub to fender on the exact same model and year of truck is accurate, measuring to the fender of a new model doesn't take into account any changes in the fender dimensions. Sounds, again, like possibly lazy work. No offense to Toytec. I ordered my lift from them but I'd expect more work then that to take multiple measurements, including checking that the fender dimensions are indeed the exact same rather than assuming Toyota didn't change the size, orientation, or angle of the fender, before a company would declare that there is an inch of height difference in the front.

They did do travel measurements which does show that there is more pre load on the springs given that the other front end components did not change... but the fender to hub measurement isn't a great tool across the model change without checking that no part between the hub and the fender has changed that could lead to an irrelevant number.

Also, like I said, if Toytec knew this it would of been great for them to change the Icon setups on their 2016 page from 0-3" of lift to -1 to 2" of lift... which they did not do until complaints filtered in. Again, that's just being lax in your work at best... hopefully a lesson for next time.

I do appreciate the TC UCA comment. People should ALWAYS cycle the front suspension without the new shock in place to ensure there is no contact with any part of the new suspension geometry and the truck. A severed brake line from hard contact could lead to a really bad day on a steep decent offroad.

19. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:52 PM
    MaxxTRD

MaxxTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Maxx
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Off Road
    King Extended Travel Coilovers, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Kings with Icon AAL, Cab mount Chop, 305/70/16 KO2s Moto metal wheels CBI Off Road Fab bumper and sliders Rad industries grill
    Yeah I thunk your right about the 4 wheel parts guys. And I agree about the UCAS

20. Jan 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM
    deeezy

deeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dana
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    You're right, the hub to fender might not be accurate, but the droop/travel #'s confirms the 1" higher ride height.

Products Discussed in

To Top