1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Was about to buy...bad luck...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thecreeper, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:12 AM
    thecreeper

thecreeper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I have been in the market for a Taco (serious) for the past month... i've been to a ton of dealers. I am seeking out a DC OR pkg. A lot of the dealers didn't have one hence my wide search.

What I found was some of the 09 and (leftover) 08s had some paint issues (One 08 model had a bit much rust in the undercarriage for being just parked in a lot). Meaning tiny chips on the hood and some even had etching from bird droppings that were not cleaned off in time. I was sorta shocked actually to find so many Tacos with this. Yet I've noticed most of their cars and SUVs were in prestine condition. Almost like they could care less about their Truck inventory.

Yesterday I found a 09 DC OR pkg. that i was gonna basically just go ahead with. No paint issues at all as I inspected it top to bottom. When I got to the undercarrige to see how much rust was there I was sad to see fresh fluid. It looked like it was coming from the rear diff. I got under there and looked but couldn't see any leak, but did see fluid stains on the rear diff. Also noticed some rust as well on the leaf springs and other various parts...

i got turned off and walked even though the salesman said there is no leak its just from some other car parked there from yesterday, blah blah blah. excuses...

So now I'm looking at yet another dealer today that might have a OR pkg.

I feel like i'm being too anal...ah well. But to me its strange to have new inventory that has paint damage to rust to a possible fluid leak!

2. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    If paint chips and surface rust on the frame worry you, you might want to reconsider a Tacoma. The 05+ have very thin paint, and it will only be a short matter of time before chips litter your lower bumper, hood, and possibly fenders. The surface rust issue has been an inherent issue with the last generation Tacoma's Bottom line: if you're going to find that perfect painted truck, get a 3M clear bra covering the largest amount of the truck possible. Second you can get the truck undercoated to hide the surface rust...

3. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    well i don't mind but i just feel like those paint chips should happen under my ownership. Paint etching from bird droppings is just a dealer neglect issue that could have been prevented. and I see a lot of that...meaning the dealers could care less about the upkeep of their Tacoma inventory. Yet they keep all the cars in tip top shape. The other thing is the dealer is not willing to correct the paint. Some have even "pretended" not to see it. which is laughable. some have shurgged it off saying "what is the big deal its gonna happen anyway!!!!!" while some have offered free touch up paint...

i think every car will have undercarriage rust at some point but again i feel like it should happen after i buy it. if its just somehow rusting from just being parked in a dealer's lot then that is not giving me a good feeling. but the rust i am seeing isn't bad. i've noticed most of this small rust is starting on the leaf springs and then on the drive shaft(?)

I guess i will consider undercoating if/when i pick my Taco up which is anyday now. The deals are there just the condition of "new" inventory is not up to par IMHO.

oh and what about fluid leaking? definitly not right...i am almost positive that fresh "oil" fluid on the ground was from the Taco parked there...

4. Jul 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I hear you about the fluid leak, but these trucks may have been sitting on the lot for some time now. Around here, there aren't a whole lot of Tacoma's on the dealers lot....maybe they were smart and saw the shrinking truck market. If the dealerships you have visited have large lots, they aren't going to be able to keep every vehicle clean. Most new cars don't even have a good coat of wax on them probably why your seeing the etching in the paint. I will tell you this, I wash my truck every week religiously, and I have a couple of etched spots in my truck finish too. Maybe you're better off buying a used Tacoma.

5. Jul 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    OP; where are you located? If its anywhere near the ocean, your going to have rust. period. Just work a deal in with them to get free undercoating upon pickup of the truck.

6. Jul 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    what's YOUR definition of "rust"?:confused:

7. Jul 12, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I feel like i'm being too anal.............................

Dude...................your gonna drop about 30 grand or so.....be as anal as you want.......................good luck !

8. Jul 12, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    get a color in metallic if you can. The metallics are stronger paints, hence 3 coats instead of 2 and the price increase.

9. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:07 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    no i'm in New England nowhere near the ocean... but when i see "rust" on current inventory its orange in color and peeling. This is what I see on the leaf springs of many Tacos on the lot. Granted its not a TON of rust but its like tiny areas here and there.

kinda wished they just leave the protective film on the truck when it comes in.

I stopped by a Suzuki dealer for the fun of it to test drive that Equator RMZ-4 Sport. It is pretty nice but I know nothing about the Equator. Had a lot of cool features and the salesman was very desperate to sell it. We took it off road (a dirt trail) and it handled very nice. I looked over the paint and it was clean as can be because it still had the white protective film on it ...undercarriage already has been sprayed for rust prevention. Tempting but who wants a Suzuki truck!?

I am trying to get a Mag Gray... at first wanted Black but that seems to be a big mistake.

10. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:50 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    Tacoma vs. Suzuki truck...:boink: :eek:

Maybe wait for that India truck maker with the diesel or a Nissan.

Come on!! Pull the trigger, everyone that lives in the snowbelt has a little rust and the paint issues?? Not there at all.

11. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:52 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    yea black will look nice on the taco but will get destroyed if you do anytype of real driving

12. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    I don't think your being "too anal." Man, I researched different vehicles for three years before I chose to buy my Taco. There will be at least minor imperfections with every vehicle. It's a very serious purchase--Especially in today's economy. Nothing wrong with checking EVERYTHING OUT first.:) I'm extemely pleased with my choice. Just take your time. Oh, and remember-- There's only one stupid question: "The one that doesn't get asked." Good luck.

13. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    i am gonna get a Taco, just looking for the right one. its taking longer than i thought.

who's the India maker!?!?!??!

I heard Nissan is out of the truck market.

Well I was going to buy a Taco but the paint issues it already had made me walk. I guess I should stop being anal and just buy it as its gonna get chipped up anyway! Dinged and all...just wanted it under my terms not on the sales floor.

14. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    i had mine ordered, dealerships here dont carry many trucks, even less TRD's. I had to wait about 3 weeks, but i got it with 7 miles on it, and no rust, paint issues or any other defect. Got a great deal on it too. check into it

15. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    i have and dealers have too many on the lots I guess and refuse to "swap" and claim Toyota is not taking orders for 2009 models anymore. A few dealers have told me since the economy has gone down the tubes and sales have almost ceased on pick up trucks, there are too many Tacos out there. One dealer said I wish I didn't have one on the lot then we would not have to worry about getting stuck with them and we could get you the one you want.

Agree there are not many 09 TRDs left. There seems to be too many SR5s. I've even seen 2008 left overs on the lot still...

16. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:18 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    the first paint chip and scratch will make you cry

after that you don't really care

oh and get white because it's the only color where scratches don't show up much

17. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    well there is a white TRD OR right near me. i passed on it because it wasn't a color i liked. will reconsider.

silver doesn't show either i noticed...

black is my fave color but will be difficult to maintain.

18. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    go used. I bought mine used with 6.5k miles on it. Better than factory warranty, better than new financing.

I just went to the local stealership here on the Cape (and again here ina bout 5 minutes) and the Taco's on the lot are in the same shape. Surface rust all over, paints seen better days, but its all fixable, and a very strong point to bring across during a sale. Tell them to either fix it or chop some price off the top.

Keep in mind though, with all this rain we've been having the past few weeks, there is going to be LOTS of surface rust on these vehicles, but most of it is nothing to worry about.

19. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    thecreeper

Member:
    yeah i've never seen so much rain, its been crazy this year.

on SR5s dealers are willing to drop price at least $4-6k depends.

TRDs they are not so willing at all. Not sure why. $1500-3k depends. Dealers do not want to "correct" paint. They just want to give me a bottle of touch up. The worst was a salesman was "blind". He couldn't see the paint etching, hahahahahha. i don't see anything, hahahaha. i wanted to slap him upside the head.

I definitly want new. I'll be stopping by another dealer with a TRD in Black (yikes) and Gray. We'll see.

20. Jul 13, 2009 at 8:44 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    silver not as good as white.

def. not black. I have grey and the scratches are very visible. I know I get mine in places most won't go but still... white is best for that

Products Discussed in

To Top