1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Watch For Stress Cracks In Win!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ImInLoveWithMyTruck, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Feb 23, 2007 at 11:05 AM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

ImInLoveWithMyTruck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I thought I would pass this info along.
    I am having my winshield replaced today due to a stress crack that's the whole width of my windshield. The glass guy (Safelite) said he has replaced numerous windshields on 2nd Gen Toyota's in the past year. He believes it's due to something Toyota is not telling us. So just a heads up to all, if your driving and you hear a loud bang, which sounds like a rock hitting you may have just had a stress crack in your windshield. When I called my insurance they said it would be covered either by them or the dealer's warranty if it can be proved to be a stress crack. Mine got so bad it spread into more cracks which made it impossible to prove that it was a stress crack. So 300$ later, I have a new windshield...

Just a heads up all.

2. Feb 23, 2007 at 11:26 AM
    TRDeity

TRDeity Well-Known Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRDpro
    Does it happen when off roading or just normal driving?

3. Feb 23, 2007 at 12:49 PM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

Member:
    The tech didn't really say. It's all in how the truck moves. He did mention that it could be in the adhesive from the factory. Too much, too little and you get cracks. The new windshield is better than the one out of the factory.

4. Feb 23, 2007 at 1:51 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    :eek: that's no good. knowing me (and some of the "short-cuts" i take throught the woods), i may be right behind you if it is a common thing.

5. Feb 23, 2007 at 3:10 PM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    I have noticed that on alot of 2006 models. toyota might have a quality control department that keeps tally of these occurences but toyota would only do recalls only if there are more than a certain number of incidences that result in bodily injury. so if you start hearing it from the news have your windshield repaired immediately.

6. Feb 26, 2007 at 12:45 PM
    gdawg25

gdawg25 Zoom-Zoom

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    '08 Mazdaspeed 3
    I recently got a crack almost the entire width of my windshield, and my truck only has 10,000Km on it. Needless to say I am a little pissed about it.

7. Feb 26, 2007 at 1:11 PM
    natrlyst

natrlyst Well-Known Member

Member:
    As you should be, make sure to report it to the dealer.

8. Feb 26, 2007 at 1:39 PM
    ImInLoveWithMyTruck

Member:
    That's a stress crack. Bring it to the dealer and they should cover it. I emphasize the should part.

9. Feb 26, 2007 at 2:37 PM
    CasaTaco

CasaTaco Active Member

Member:
    BMW MINI's also had a stress crack windshield problem but they would try to keep from paying for a replacement windshield by using the pen test. They would run a ball point pen along the length of the crack and if the pen would run into anyplace where a stone might have hit the windshield, they would deny it that it was caused by stress.

10. Jan 2, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I have several rock chips in mine. It has taken some pretty hard hits without cracking...yet. Up here, where they put rocks and sand on the road for traction, windshields are a short-lived item. I'd prefer that to salt or mag chloride on the roads. Unfortunately they are now using mag chloride too.

11. Jan 2, 2017 at 4:44 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks

:gossip: this thread is almost 10 years old........and the OP hasn't been around since Sept 2007. So don't be alarmed if he doesn't respond. :D

12. Jan 2, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    techride

techride Weekend Warrior

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB v6 4x4
    Bilstein/Icon 2" suspension lift with wheelers 5 leaf springs, 7-pin relocate through bumper, bfg KO2s, redline hood struts, immryo mirror relocation, stubby antenna, dipped emblem, heated mirrors, Jason trek cap, led fogs, debadged
    My truck was two months old when I had to replace my windshield, and I've had no problems since. I can't comment on stress fractures, but the Coquihalla highway in BC sucks ass for windshields, ESPECIALLY in the winter.

Pigpen likes this.
  13. Jan 2, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    ABNFDC

ABNFDC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Granite State
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD Access Cab TRD OR "Rugged Trail"
    265/75/16 Wildpeaks, Dakar rear, HS 2.5" front coils
    necroposting like a mofo...

Best way to clean the windows is get a new one. I'm on my fourth windshield on this thing. Shit happens.

Pigpen likes this.
  14. Jan 2, 2017 at 5:12 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Old thread is old

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. Jan 2, 2017 at 5:23 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Not even old enough to buy smokes yet. So young...

ChadsPride likes this.
  16. Jan 2, 2017 at 6:06 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    My window cracked under stress, a rock hit it while I was driving 65mph on the highway.

17. Jan 2, 2017 at 9:15 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    My windshield didn't crack in the crash that wrote the truck off. It was only a couple months old... :(

18. Jan 3, 2017 at 7:30 AM
    Jonezy

Jonezy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock 2010 PreRunner
    Hi!

Of course, you know your windshield is made from two pieces of annealed glass that are bonded together with a thin sheet of PVB in between. In each of those pieces of glass, there is a "skin" of glass on the outside that is in compression and very resistant to damage. It takes extreme pressure to break glass in compression. However, there is a "core" under the "skin" that is in tension, and this is the weak area of the glass. When a foreign object strikes your windshield, it will only spider out across the majority of the viewing area if the crack penetrates the compression layer and reaches the area in tension. The glass will actually peel itself apart when this happens. It's very important to seal up any chips or cracks as quickly as possible in order to prevent that from happening.

19. Jan 3, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    in win?

ChadsPride likes this.
  20. Jan 3, 2017 at 7:35 AM
    HoulaHauler

HoulaHauler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Gwinnett Co., Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2013 1G3 DCSB
    Mine hasn't cracked from stress. It's on medication and in counseling to prevent such an occurrence.

Products Discussed in

To Top