1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

water buildup in exhaust?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kirkofwimbo, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    was at the ranch last weekend doing some hunting when i noticed that i had alot of water vapor coming out of the exhaust. was starting the truck early in the morning right around freezing temps, then again later in the morning around 50 degrees or so and a couple more times through out the day. it did it all weekend until i finally left to go home, when i got on the highway i noticed a good couple of ounces of water flying out of the exhaust as i accelerated. does this seem normal to have that much build up of H2O?

2. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Yup, it's normal. More water build up in colder climates.

3. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    ya my only thinking is that it was not all that cold in the middle of the day...like low 70's, but i guess the buildup from the morning lasted all through the day. thanks for the quick reply's fellas. :thumbsup:

4. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    When it was about 76 degrees one day, I cut off the stock muffler and a good maybe 2-3 ounces of water came out of the pipes from a cold truck.

5. Nov 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    It's condensation where the warm moist air from the exhaust hits the wall of a cold exhaust pipe. Just like when you breath on a cold window and your breath condenses. A trick that many muffler shops do is to drill a 1/8 hole at the very back bottom of the muffler to drain any condensation out. This keeps it from rusting out as fast.

Water is normal and evaporates as the exhaust system heats up. A vehicle with a warm exhaust will not have water vapor visible unless it's very cold outside. Short trips will not evaporate off all the water though and cause your muffler to rust out.

6. Nov 10, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    Water a by-product of internal combustion. Factors such as temp and humidity will vary the amount of moisture in the system. You may have known people who have to replace muffler/exhasut system more often than others.

If the vehicle is used for short trips the system (exhasut) doesn't have enough time to heat up and burn/steam off this moisture.

If the vehicle is used for longer, daily travel the exhaust system will last longer due to the higher temps running longer.

7. Nov 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    it's the catalytic converters.

takes carbon monoxide, and attaches an oxygen molecule making CO2. another byproduct is water..(and N2)..i think.

it is perfectly normal. abnormal, not to have water.

Products Discussed in

To Top