1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water Bypass Pipe No.1

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by SMS909, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Nov 9, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    whatstcp

whatstcp currently drunk so don't listen to me

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7l 4x4
    King + Archive Relocation Wheeler's bumps +hydros
    when it comes to parts diagrams, nothing beats a free diagram from the online toyota parts ordering website to look up diagrams and part numbers. I am not sure which one you are talking about so here's the diagram I think you need and the link to order said part and figure out the part number using the reference numbers on the image

https://parts.crowntoyota.com/a/Toy...27118/RADIATOR--WATER-OUTLET/674470-1603.html

a1_164628E.jpg

2. Nov 10, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Unfortunately I don't think the little bastard vacuum hose is shown on that diagram. "Refer to Fig 12-01"

3. Nov 10, 2021 at 9:14 PM
    whatstcp

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    nah that diagram is just for the coolant hose he was inquiring about. For the bastard ventilation hose, it resides in this diagram under reference number 12263 with actual part number 1226375070 and costs approximately $7.
    a1_121028A.jpg

Ventenueve and DGXR[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Nov 28, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    Ventenueve

Ventenueve Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ral, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access cab 2.7 5spd 4x4 blue
    Camper build in progress…new build mods to come 2006 V8 4Runner SR5 Previous trucks 97 3.4 5spd 4x4 ext cab 98 2.4 SR5 ext cab 98 limited 4 Runner 98 SR5 4 Runner
    Whatsup- part number 87209 was the hose in question I believe the spring clamp has seated/sealed the deal although I check it regularly due to having a manual trans it seemed to have dropped down exactly along the bell housing and held a lot of residual coolant like even a week later 1 drop here and there and even this week I washed the underside after draining the trans and the water drops there showed up red once water was applied but been one dry otherwise

5. May 21, 2022 at 2:18 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    ?? Just replaced plastic hose with Part No.: 16268-75112PIPE, WATER BY-PASS, The plastic hose has a rubber "O" on the bracket on the left side of the pipe - front of the truck side - the metal replacement has a metal flat gasket Part No.: 16258-75021GASKET - will this seal ? Thanks for any reply. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Jul 10, 2022 at 7:17 PM
    Hayrider

Hayrider Over the hill & going down fast...

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You…
    Convection Oven AZ
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB & X-cab SOLD for more than new‼️ Now 05 & 07
    Reg Cabs, 5 lug, 5 spd, Magnuson & LS Swap, StopTech’s, Yada Yada Yada…
    1st. To everyone that’s contributed to this thread THANKS‼️ This is why this forum is one of the best if not the best forum! It’s because of all the great info about this issue with the 2TR FE / 2.7L cooling system and the few other small things. Guy’s when I was looking to purchase another Taco I would look up the High Book Values and some are asking $2k to $5k over high book values I would call owners selling Taco’s and ask nicely if they had booked the truck with the salvage title? Would you consider an offer? I had one guy say “F**k you it’s a Tacoma it will sell at the price” then slammed down the phone!

2nd. Guys has ANYONE here used the “HPS Silicone coolant hoses”. They sell a kit with what looks like upper, lower radiator hoses and two long heater hoses? I’m the type of person if we had to jump in a vehicle and drive across the country I don’t have to worry about any of our vehicles breaking down.

3rd. We are picking up a 2005 that has a 151k miles on it because some slick salesman talked me out out mint condition 15 Taco! :frusty: So I was thinking about replacing all wear items under hood and most of the undercarriage. Being new water hoses are cheap compared to ones that let go especially if they let go in BFE. I have had this happen before and it wasn’t fun! If I need to purchase a $1000 plus in maintenance parts so be it! Plus as hot as it gets here in convection oven AZ I like to replace every part that has water flowing through it. I found the upper & lower Radiator hoses but I’m having a hard time trying to locate the heater hoses and the other small formed hoses. Like I said earlier I found an HPS kit but I was wondering if it includes ALL the “Coolant” hoses? Anyone know?

4. Like above thinking I should replace ALL the hoses, serpentine belt, two idler pulleys, tensioner, water pump, thermostat and anything else that may fail especially this one in the thread. Again THANKS for an informative thread!

5. Any suggestions or words of wisdom anyone would like to suggest being replaced maybe something you had to replace in the pass? I fill these older Tacoma’s will last for ever with proper service / maintenance.

6. Any aftermarket manufacturer better than the others? Like to purchase some parts from places like RockAuto

7. Should I replace the coil pack wires if they can be replaced? New plugs for sure!

8. I’ve ordered the low side PS hoses, installing a magnetic trans filter & very small cooler for the PS. And replace the steering rack bellows. I see they split as they age.

9. Shocks are getting replaced with coilover’s & check the brakes maybe another set of StopTech’s. Damn things are pricey‼️

10. So if you or anyone else can let me know what’s failed I would Greatly Appreciate it‼️

Thanks in advance guys for any advice or words of wisdom!
    Randy

7. Jul 10, 2022 at 11:59 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Buy a new truck

8. Jul 11, 2022 at 11:14 AM
    Hayrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You…
    Convection Oven AZ
    Vehicle:
    When Hell freezes over‼️ Been there done that and sorry to say as they get newer they are not built as well. Plus find a stick in a 4x2…
    If anything I will have a new LT L83 or L84 @ 355HP on reg pump gas installed. With a few little mods they are over 400HP, and with a Tremec 5 speed. Oh, and get 28 mpf = miles per fun…
    A friend has an older LS in a 240Z that looks stock but the sweet exhaust notes and you should see the crowds that follow him. How many follow a new Taco? :D

Steves104x4[QUOTED] and DGXR like this.
  9. Jul 11, 2022 at 11:36 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    1. The current market is insane, especially for pickup trucks and especially the better ones like Tacomas. These sellers may get what they are asking but they don't need to be rude.
    2. Never heard of the HPS hose kit, sorry.
    3. You might check the vehicle's service history, if there are records. It might already have newer hoses installed which can be verfied by their condition. Thermostat is more difficult to verify. At least I would replace the coolant which is easy and cheap.
    4. OK you can do that if you really want to. By #3 above it may not be necessary, but if it give you peace of mind then that's up to you.
    5. Lots of threads on this topic. With higher miles and more years, certain things do need to be replaced such as U-joints, transmission filters, power steering fluid, maybe ball joints and bushings, etc. Do a search.
    6. RockAuto is not a manufacturer. Do some research on the specific part you want to buy and you will find information on the different brands available. RockAuto does have a good website with good information on the various parts they sell, including different quality/price levels (e.g. economy vs standard replacement vs high performance/extended service).
    7. It's not a bad idea to get a spare coil pack and wire, in case one goes out while on a trip. They don't usually fail in groups so one should be enough for a field repair, you can do the rest when you get back home.
    8. Cool
    9. Coil-overs are an upgrade from the standard struts and yes the coil-overs will cost more.
    10. In the 140,000 miles I've had my 2006 Tacoma, the only parts that failed are an A/C condenser (105k miles) and a water pump (150k miles). The water pump could be considered a wear item, they typically last around 100-150k + miles even with normal coolant changes. The A/C condenser was more of an anomaly, they usually last longer than 105k. Mine probably had a weak weld and vibrations cracked the weak joint and leaked out all the refrigerant. No issues since the replacement.

Aside from the obvious replacement of the plastic coolant bypass pipe... I recommend using full synthetic oil even if your 2005 is spec'd for conventional, or at least keep the conventional oil clean with shorter service intervals. Carbon packed ring lands / stuck piston rings are the main reason why these engines start burning oil. Synthetic oil is not much more expensive and will keep the ring packs cleaner.
    If you have an automatic, drop the pan and replace the filter & pan gasket at least once. Then do a drain & fill every 30k. Use Toyota T-IV or Mobil 3309 fluid, this is the OEM stuff.
    Otherwise just keep up with normal maintenance and enjoy the truck.

Hayrider[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jul 11, 2022 at 12:29 PM
    Hayrider

Member:
    First Name:
    Hey You…
    Convection Oven AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the reply and words of wisdom‼️
    Hahaha… I can see you don’t really know this old man because we owned a new special order Pre-runner and I had to sell it about 8 months after purchasing and the mods that I removed before selling.
    I absolutely HATE automatics‼️ Buying the regular cab with a stick is the main reason for the purchase! Autos are people who like to ride in their vehicles I like to drive my vehicles. I guess someday I may not be able to push in a clutch so I guess I will have to stop driving. The automatic that had to go! In hindsight I should have just had a Tremec installed maybe behind an GM creat motor. Now I would have been the smart thing to do… :D
    2188B867-C3F8-4982-A811-8247FC04FE0E.jpg

11. Jul 19, 2022 at 12:49 AM
    whatstcp

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Fontana, CA
    Vehicle:
    I would go with OEM hoses when it comes to the cooling system vs. silicone hoses. For a boosted performance weekend project, sure go for silicone. But a daily driver that you are trying to refurbish so it's trouble/headache free? Nah. Silicone tolerates higher temps and pressure while lasting longer, but need more attention with installation as they can leak at the connection. Multiple threads online about people having issues with leaks at the connection side and needing to use specific hose clamps to stop it. Supposedly silicone is more permeable than rubber hoses so there's a constant trickling passive coolant loss.

Basically, OEM is the key.

JGO and Hayrider[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Dec 24, 2022 at 9:26 PM
    Duhunkachunk

Duhunkachunk Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Access base 2.7 2wd
    Massachusetts huh ? Feel free to come get the valve cover breather tube back on for a neighbor in NH, 14° wasn’t fun today I called it quits early lol

13. Sep 24, 2023 at 7:00 PM
    RedSingleCab

RedSingleCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    2008 RC 4x4

Yup that gasket will work! Just did mine today, MAN that old plastic bypass pipe was so brittle.

Products Discussed in

To Top