1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water in foglights?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MJonesTrumpet, May 23, 2010.

1. May 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Ok...so...it rained here last night, nothing to serious, but it was a steady rain. I've been working on my taco with a few different mods, getting ready to put in a deck plate mod today, and as I was walking up to it, i noticed my fogs were all fogged up, excuse the expression. When I got closer, i realized they were each filled half full with water! I've never noticed this before...never even thought to look...my question is, does anyone else have this problem? did a seal break? Can I seal them up so this doesnt happen anymore? and lastly, htf do i get the water out???:mad: Thanks!:rolleyes:

2. May 23, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    drill a pinhole underneath the light (out of sight) Sounds like a bad seal, my 05 ones are still sealed and dry . Are these OEM foglights or aftermarket?

3. May 23, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    OEM, but I installed them. I have the SR5 4 cylinder so eveything was there, just bought OEM lights and hooked them up and poped in the switch in the dash. Think theres a way to reseal them? maybe with marine grade silicone sealent?

4. May 23, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    This happened to mine, and they came from the factory. I simply took them in and had them swapped. I bet you could do the same and they wouldn't be suspect a bit. OEM is OEM, installed by you or not, even if you installed them. Worst that could happen is someone would take notice and they'd say that they can't do it...

5. May 23, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    So...Try to defraud the dealership is what you are saying??

OP-I wouldn't take his advice. Take the bulb out, drain the water, give the housing a chance to dry out and then put the bulb back in and see if you can figure out where the seal isn't fitting.
    You can reseal the lens/housing with silicone if that's the problem. Might have to find some new housings if the seals in the back are bad...

6. May 23, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    aces2

aces2 Senior Arshole

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hampton, VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 RR AC 4x4
    Flowmaster 40, K&N CAI, RED brake light bulbs, BHLM, Rear dif breather line, Factory Skidplate painted BLACK, DRL's, YELLOW bulbs in Fogs Turn Signals and Marker lights, Custom "Toy Machine" center emblem, Sockmonkey "Nor-Cal" decals all BLACK, Redline tailgate damper and hood sruts, Painted steering wheel emblem BLACK, 12V always on, Foglight mod, 16" Pro-Comp 7089 rims BLACK powdercoated acorn lugnuts, BFG KM2's 285-75-16, Painted exhaust pipe BLACK, BLACK emblems all the way around, Rear BLACK bumper from base model, Radical RED "sport" grille-surround, Factory Toyota Bed extender, RED maglight mounted on each seat's side, TRD ball-type shift knob, Custom mounted Scangauge II under stereo, Aftermarket HU, Hardwired Garmin GPS 260W, TSB w/AAL and 2.5" 5100's, Weathertech floor liners, Removed front mud flaps, 95-04 "4WD" rear mudflaps, 3rd Brake light "TACO", BLACK front lip
    I see where you're coming from Brunes.

I only give that advice because it's an OEM part, that failed, installed by him or not. If I felt that I maybe damaged the integrity of the unit during my own install, then I may not go this route. But I seriously doubt someone could screw up an install on the fogs.

If it's an honest fault of the design/parts during "regular" use, I'd take it in and see if they'd replace under the 3/36.

7. May 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA
    Hmm that sounds like a better idea, I'll do that. The local Toyota dealer (where I got my truck) has been nothing but nice to me since I bought a truck from them. I'll pop them out when i get home and drain them. I can't image they are collecting water from the back, but it seems like maybe the seal around the lense and housing isn't the best...would you reccommend just putting sealent around the diameter of the lense, or do you think actually trying to pry it off...and re-sealing it would be better?...i'd much prefer the former than the latter. Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top