1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water leaking onto passenger floor during hard rains

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by enjoy.every.sandwich, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Feb 2, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    enjoy.every.sandwich

enjoy.every.sandwich [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4WD access cab
    Hi y'all. Thought I'd share some troubleshooting of a water leak I had. The leak would only happen during heavy rain storms. This got be a problem living in southern Louisiana. Passenger side floorboard would be soaking wet. Search TW and found the usual suspects (windshield, cabin air intake, roof, rear window) were not the culprit.

In trying to find the leak, I pulled the carpet and glovebox out, and moved the computer out of the way to get access to where I thought the leak was.

Used a pitcher to simulate a heavy rain and was able to narrow down where the leak was. It was coming from the meeting of two body panels. The black line is a plastic straw used in later steps.

Couldn't access the leaking joint through the cowl. So, to get access to the leak from the outside of the truck, I had to remove the passenger side quarter panel/fender. Yes, I know the inside of my fender is particularly dirty...
    The sealant between the two panels was beginning to crumble. Where the sealant was really degraded, I was able to pass the straw that comes on a can of brake cleaner through the joint entirely. (Can be seen in the second picture from the inside and the following picture from the outside).
    I roughed the metal up from the inside and the outside. Cleaned it with some brake cleaner, and used the pressure from the can of brake cleaner to force out any sealant that was dry-rotted in the seam. Applied gasket material from the inside and outside and forced it into the joint with my tried and trued finger.

Been water tight since. This forum has been great for helping me out with other problems, hope this helps someone else out who may have an unknown water leak.

2. Feb 2, 2019 at 4:52 PM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    Another one..... Apparently the have no idea how to use seam sealer at the factory. I shudder to think what the dealer or a body shop would charge the unhandy to diagnose and fix these leaks.

3. Feb 2, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    Troyken

Troyken Well-Known Member

Member:
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB v6 off road 4x4 6 spd. MT
    It looks like we have the following leak sources at least :
    Ac drain
    Windshield
    Cowl to windshield gasket
    Air intake curb sealant failure
    Clogged cowl drains
    Missing bolts on firewall
    Leaking rear window
    Leaking third brake light
    Leaking roof trim to rear window gasket joint
    Leaking bolts securing added roof racks
    Leaking or missing radio antenna grommet
    Back of cab wall seam leaking
    Side of fire wall under the fender sealant inadequate or failed (this thread)
    Door opening gaskets
    Missing or torn plastic under door panels and plugged door bottom drains

Feel free to add the ones I'm sure I've missed and techniques of leak finding.

The guy recently that turned the heater fan on high, shut all the windows and vents and used soapy water bubbles to find his windshield leak was the cleverest one I've seen!!!

JGO likes this.
  4. Feb 2, 2019 at 5:17 PM
    Avery

Avery 2012 XSP-X Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    2012 XSPX Tacoma
    I occasionally have a few drops of water on the passenger floorboard when I wash my truck, so I may have to do this eventually...

5. Mar 14, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Nice find OP. Great write up and with pictures. Thank you for sharing this info. Could you help me understand exactly were the water was running down in? Was it running down the side behind the kick panel? I have this issue aswell. Mine is running down the side behind the kick panel.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  6. Oct 10, 2021 at 8:49 AM
    trd/chaser

trd/chaser Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Vehicle:
    03 sr5 trd offroad package
    I found exactly where water is leaking with a borescope/endoscope but getting to it is going to be a issue to get to its at 3 body panel connection ive been working on this for 6months get picks soon. I need s/d card

7. Aug 24, 2023 at 1:10 PM
    Gordon808

Gordon808 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 DCLB
    Thanks for this! My 05 is doing this too. How long did the process take?

8. Aug 24, 2023 at 2:23 PM
    enjoy.every.sandwich

enjoy.every.sandwich [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4WD access cab
    Holy revival! I can't remember for sure, but it isn't very complicated, so likely less than 2 hours.

Gordon808 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top