1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

water puddle in tailpipe?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by hawneye, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Nov 27, 2006 at 6:12 AM
    hawneye

hawneye [OP] New Member

Member:
    Does anyone know if intermittent water collection in the tailpipe is a cause for concern? I know that condensation build-up especially at start up is normal but I've had it happen when the truck was already running for awhile? Yesterday I purchased a 03" prerunner 3.4L with 29,000 miles & in excellent condition but when I saw the water I had 2nd thoughts. I hope this is not the start of internal coolant leaking problems (head gasket, cracked head)? I had problems in the past with my 95' Tacoma 3.4L engine (recall headgasket) in 98' & it seems like dejavu. Any thoughts? Anyway of checking? Oh, so far I am not loosing coolant & there is no steam or white smoke coming from the tailpipe. I live in Hawaii so weather condition is not a factor.

2. Nov 27, 2006 at 8:25 PM
    archer of loaf

archer of loaf Well-Known Member

Member:
    check the oil cap - if it has yogurt like stuff in it - it may have a broken head gasket... this is not fool proof but a pretty good way of telling... and smell the exaust - smell sweet? if so... not good at all.

water does collect in exaust pipes - if the truck was run for short periods it would do this.

3. Nov 27, 2006 at 10:01 PM
    ForeRunner

ForeRunner Scotch before noon. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Somewhere between Maine and Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Subaru WRX STI Limited (no wing)
    Extra PSI
    Is the water clear? If so you've got nothing to worry about it's the cat doing it's job.

4. Nov 28, 2006 at 10:41 AM
    Ldytaco05

Ldytaco05 it's all about me

Member:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2005 PreRunner,Enkei Wheels
    did you get a history report on your vehicle. It might be a "katrina victim" the reason why is i read on orlando sentinel article that David Maus toyota sold a vehicle that was water damage. the owner was not aware of it until his son did a history check. in the end he wound up with a new vehicle(2007 camry)

5. Nov 29, 2006 at 2:20 PM
    hawneye

hawneye [OP] New Member

Member:
    :) I think the worst is over now. I had forgot to mention that I had purchased my tacoma from a dealer. Before I questioned the dealer about the water problem I asked him if topping the fluids under the hood was a standard practice during prepping of a trade-in? His reply was not always. Had he said yes, I would have had cause for concern. Speaking of prepping, the water might have been residual after washing the truck down during prepping. Its been 2 days now since the purchase & the water puddle is gone & I topped the coolant resevoir to the full line & the level is still there, hurrah! Also, I purchased an extended full warranty on the tacoma for up to 6 years/100,000 miles for $1,200 which gives me peace of mind. Thanks to all who responded.:)

To Top