1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Water pump, oil cooler hose bad

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jordons09taco, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Aug 4, 2015 at 9:56 AM
    Jordons09taco

Jordons09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    Allentown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off-Road double cab
    So just over a month into my purchase of my 2009 Tacoma off road dcsb, decided to take a trip to the shore with the wife and our 3 month old daughter. It's about a 3 hour drive from our house to the beach, which includes a drive through Philadelphia. We hit Philly traffic at about 11 am and I notice the smell of antifreeze and the thermostat needle climbing close to the red. Pull off the first exit I can find and the truck is overheating like crazy. Find part of the belt wrapped around the shaft that runs to the radiator fan. Well long story short after waiting for Toyota roadside assistance for three hours in center city Philadelphia with my wife and 3 month old in 90 degree heat, it finally got towed to the nearest dealership. They are telling me the water pump is bad and an oil cooler hose is leaking. I also suggested replacing the belt as it had start to shred. Does this seem like it would've been the problem? I now have to rely on them fixing it and driving it home an hour and 20 mins in hope that the problem is fixed and won't overheat again. Thanks for any help or advice in advance its greatly appreciated!!

2. Aug 4, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
  3. Aug 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM
    Jordons09taco

Jordons09taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordon
    Allentown, PA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off-Road double cab
    Everything is under warranty except the belt, which they are charging like $160 to replace. I'm
    more concerned as to if that is/was the actual problem. I mean I guess you have to trust that they know what they're doing, but my trust is a bit shaken I guess.

4. Aug 4, 2015 at 3:20 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The belt probably started to shred due to the water pump binding up. Hell if it is under warranty let them do it and not worry about it.

Products Discussed in

To Top