1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Waterproofing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by surfsupl, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    With the winter months ahead I was wondering what you guys may use to waterproof your boots........I know they sell waterproof footwear but I cannot seem to let go of my well worn in work boots.....has anyone used a certain product they have been happy with?.........and on the flip side something that is just not worth it?..............Thanks...............

2. Nov 9, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    Work provided me with Rocky boots. They are gortex and work great. I've stood in 5" of water and had dry feet all day.

3. Nov 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    i don't buy boots w/o goretex anymore, so leakage isn't an issue for me...that said, i do use mink oil on my boots, which is supposed to condition & waterproof leather. last pair of boots before the latest ones were some Redwings. they were part leather and part cordura. i like the ones with at least some cordura, as they seem to "breathe" better. anyways, i wore them for about five years without ever treating them and didn't have any leakage issues (thank you goretex), but they looked like hell. so when the eyelets started cutting my laces,(ya, the string eyelets wore over time and got sharp), i went to the boot store for some new ones. bought another pair of redwings and a tin of their mink oil. i went ahead and treated my new pair, then did my old trustys. the 5 year old leather didn't look new when finished, but it sure made an improvement. they softened up and actually started beading water again.

a story from just this past weekend...i got the "new" boots last year, and had not treated them since i bought them, so i decided to re-treat them this past saturday. later that evening, i had them on while visiting a friend who's seen my wear them before and he's like "didja get a new pair of boots?"...he was seriously asking.

i'd reccommend the mink oil. i've also had good results with Dr. Martins shoe balm. looks to be the same color and consistancy of the red wing brand mink oil, and works like a charm on my Doc Martins.

i've also heard good things about this stuff, but no experience myself:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P9GCB2/187-3752921-1432947

it sucks to have to replace old boots...i feel your pain. i still wear my older pair of boots, but had to go with leather shoestrings to avoid them being cut by the eyelets. even the leather will still break, but takes much longer than the regular bootstrings.

4. Nov 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    TexasBlue

TexasBlue Dreamer

Member:
    First Name:
    Kellan
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Sport, Speedway Blue
    Billet Grill, Roll-Top Cover, LED Interior Lights, HIDs, Foglight On Mod, Coin Tray Holster Mod
    The basic silicone sprays (Camp Dry, etc) work alright for rain and puddles and such, but if you're going to be standing in / walking through water, you can't beat boots with GoreTex (or similar) waterproofing built in.

5. Nov 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Sno-seal. Works great. On my current pair (Redwing Pecos w/ Gore-tex) I use the oil that came with them. Had them for two years now. Only reason i don't use the Sno-seal on these is because I have not run out of Redwing oil yet.

6. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I got to the local shoe store (or even walmart) and buy a spray can of 'water protectant' stuff. It's a clear spray and seeps into the leather and dries.

It works pretty good for general water exposure. Anything else, you should get yourself some galoshes.

7. Nov 9, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    aquaseal safe for gore tex boots

8. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  9. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:40 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i use camp dry for almost everything. works pretty well.

10. Nov 9, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    never had issues with wolves. i actually bought these for that reason

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_067T0222000P?vName=Shoes&cName=Mens&sName=Work+&+Safety

i had a full 8 hour shift in the rain and walked like 6 miles in them and had dry feet when i got home. the only thing is, no water in, no sweat out. these made my dogs smell the worst. make sure to put some foot powder before every use;)

11. Nov 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    on all my boots, i use a good amount of mink oil....gotta work it in really good, but it does the trick. i usually go double on the seams and toe area....and oil them about twice a year.

Products Discussed in

To Top