1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WD hitch experiences here please

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Poindexter, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Mar 29, 2015 at 7:46 PM
    Poindexter

Poindexter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    Looking to pick up a 6.5x16' trailer in the next year or so, gross trailer weight around 1800#, one cord of green firewood is 3900#, I'll be at 5700#, way up into WD hitch land.

Won't need sway control necessarily for a 16" tall load, but I might maybe someday tow something with some height to it. And I live in Alaska, so shipping is going to hurt.

I don't have to have the "best" all around WD hitch, but by the time I pay shipping to Alaska I by golly want to never have to buy another one, so sway control too.

If money was no object what 2 or 3 WD hitches with dual cam sway control would you like to pick from? I am looking at Blue Ox pretty hard...

If money is an object, what WD hitch at what price point have you had a good experience using?

Thanks.

2. Mar 31, 2015 at 3:23 PM
    scottfarm

scottfarm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    tacoma 4X4
    aires 3D mats, scan gauge II, rear differential breather relocation, and bakflip G2 bed cover.
    I'm using the equalizer 4 point friction hitch. My trailer weighs 3870 dry and this truck has no problem pulling it. Transmission temps hover around 163f. This hitch stops the swaying before it gets started.

3-31-2015 truck and camper 065.jpg
    3-31-2015 truck and camper 073.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. Mar 31, 2015 at 4:47 PM
    Jefes Taco

Jefes Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    14' DCLB TRD Sport supercharged
    Equalizer. My only complaint is it could be a little noisy. Completely normal though. It's not that bad really.

4. Mar 31, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Many WD hitches have sway bars built in. Be careful of your green cord weight though many woods can exceed 4,000# and it hard to judge when your tossing it in. Dual axle trailer? Hope so they handle a lot better freighted.

5. Mar 31, 2015 at 9:37 PM
    Poindexter

Poindexter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    north of Denali
    Vehicle:
    15 V6 auto 4x4 mag gray
    Appreciate that for folks with access to those magnificent east coast hardwoods. Local to me the heavy stuff is green sap up birch at +/- 3912# per cord. Red Oak at 4886# per green cord would probably not be a good idea with a Tacoma and a suitable trailer. Hickory at 5107# per green cord, also probably not a good idea.

Loading 16" rounds standing on end a 6.5x16' trailer gives me 104sqft of 'end', 96sqft would be one cord. What I have found with birch is that rounds up over 8" diameter or so take up about the same space stacked after splitting as they do as neatly arranged rounds on a trailer floor or other flat surface. Interestingly, smaller diameter rounds, say 5" diameter and under take up about 10% less space neatly stacked after splitting as they did neatly stacked before splitting....

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/cross-sectional-area-experiment.136945/

Anyway, dual axle for sure, I am looking at 16 foot trailers like this one on CL, don't really 'need' one for about a year... http://bigtextrailers.com/70tv-tandem-axle-vanguard/

To me as an occasional seller of cordwood I can make one trip, the customer can measure all the pieces I am selling neatly laid on end in the trailer floor, win- win.

I'll go see what WD hitches my local boutique dealer has to offer.

6. Apr 1, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6

Products Discussed in

To Top