1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weak A/C in 2011 Double Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kslagerman, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Apr 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    kslagerman

kslagerman [OP] New Member

Member:
    sacramento, ca
    completely stock
    Hello!

So this issue has been bugging me enough lately that i had to sign up today to look for some advice.

My 2011 Tacoma Double Cab has what seems to be a very weak climate control blower. The temperature of the air seems to be cool enough. I've certainly felt cooler A/C, but the main issue is the amount of air moved. I live in Sacramento and its only in the 80s right now and I already feel it's lacking. I noticed the issue almost right away when I purchased the truck, new, in 2011. I had traded in my 2007 FJ Cruiser and the A/C in that vehicle was great. I'm not saying it was amazing or above average, but it worked well enough that I never even thought about it. When I got the Tacoma, it was one of my first complaints. There's no comparison between the air conditioning between the FJ Cruiser and my Tacoma. I asked a toyota service manager about it at my first oil change and he just shrugged me off.

At this point, I have to close the two passenger vents just to get a decent air flow on the driver side with the fan at speed 3 or 4. This works ok if I'm the only person in the truck, but obviously not if i have a passenger.

ALSO - Occasionally, there is a squeak or a light squeal that comes from the blower. The squeal gets louder the higher the fan speed. It stops on it's own after about 5 or 10 minutes. Then comes back the next day after the car has been garaged over night.

I've replaced the cabin filter with a much thinner "cut-it-yourself" hvac filter material. I thought this might help to increase air flow. It didn't.

Any thoughts? I realize that how well your air conditioning works is kind of a subjective observation. Does anyone know if, in general, the blower in a Taco is much weaker than the blower in the FJ? Just seems crazy to me that I have to close other vents just to get acceptable air flow.

Should I pursue this with Toyota Service? I can easily see them saying that there is no issue, or it "feels fine". I wonder if this would fall into my extended Toyota Care warranty.

Thanks for any insight!

2. Apr 12, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    theres a tsb for the fan motor. start there

3. Apr 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM
    Jux

Jux :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 SW DCSB TRD OR
    The squeak drove me nuts, dealership replaced it under warranty with out giving it a second thought.

4. Apr 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    kslagerman

kslagerman [OP] New Member

Member:
    sacramento, ca
    completely stock
    Thanks guys for the fast response.

I took my truck in today for service at the toyota dealership I bought the vehicle from to have them look at this issue. They acknowledged the tsb and said they'd take a look.

So, I just got off of the phone and they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Unfortunately, the blower motor noise issue is intermittent and today of course is a day when it wasn't doing it. So, basically they did nothing at all and he more or less admitted to this.

I told him that it's just going to continue to have a problem on another day.

Regarding the blower force issue, they said they don't detect a problem. They gave me a little Corolla as a rental while mine was being worked on and even it had more force than my Tacoma. By my estimates, it seems that the Tacoma blower is 1 to 2 speed clicks behind other average vehicles. i.e a 1 in a corolla feels like a 3 in my truck.

This can't be correct...

5. Apr 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    dsjones5

dsjones5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DSJ
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 MG DC Taco
    Seat covers, weather tech digi fit, bug deflector, plasti dip wheels, magnaflow muffler, and many more to come!.. as soon as i get money. Ill probably go broke typing this...
    You should record it with a camera next time. (thats what I did)
    I had the same problem and it plagued me for 6 months. There is a way to fix it doing it yourself but it will probably void your warranty. I took mine in and they replaced the whole blower motor and fan assembly once it got bad enough to where it squeaked all the time. Took them about an hour.
    Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top