1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WeatherTech window deflectors not fitting?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRD_Mike, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jun 16, 2015 at 1:38 PM
    TRD_Mike

TRD_Mike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport - Gray
    Hi all,

New to the forums, first time posting. I recently bought a brand new 2015 double cab Tacoma and wanted to have the Weathertech rain deflectors installed. The sales guy said the dealership has a mark up and install charge, and if I wanted to save some money to buy & install them myself. So I bought them from WeatherTech, for both front and rear windows. The installation went fine; I read the directions and watched the video, simple enough. The directions said leave windows up for 12 hours. To be safe, I left them up for 24 hrs. The rears fit and work fine, no problem. When I roll up both front windows, you can hear the motor struggle for the last 3-4 inches, right where it hits the top of the rain deflector. I took it to the dealership I bought the truck from to have them look at it, and they said it’s not right and that the window motor should not bog down like that. They even took them out and re-installed them, and no change. I called WeatherTech the next day, and they were saying that it might be my truck and not the deflectors, but they were willing to send me out a new front set to see if it would fix it. So I got them on Sunday and installed them, and decided to leave the front windows up for 48 hours, just to be even safer. Well today it’s been 48 hours, and I went to roll them down, no problem. When I rolled up the passenger side, there was a little bogging down, but not really noticeable. The driver side still acts the same. It will bog down and you can hear the motor struggling to roll up the windows. So what gives?! This is the 2nd set of rain deflectors, and they just aren’t fitting right! These rain deflectors are a must-have, and I really thought WeatherTech was top of the line. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there anything I can do to try and make them fit right? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Jun 16, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    AVS Visors... I had Weathertechs before and the same issue as you.

Coot83 and Old School like this.
  3. Jun 17, 2015 at 4:49 AM
    ISLANDER1089

ISLANDER1089 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Bracebridge, ON, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB
    Supreme Suspension 3" front lift, T-Rex billet grill, Cree aux. LED backup lights, WeatherTech floor mats, window and hood deflectors, LED interior lights, Pro Comp wheels, Redline hood struts, stainless side steps, LED light bar in grill
    I recently installed the WeatherTech deflectors and had the same results. Because the window glass and the deflector share the same channel there is naturally going to be some interference when the window is closed. If this is a huge problem for you then get the kind that stick onto the door frame or spray a little graphite up into the upper glass channel.

4. Jun 17, 2015 at 5:19 AM
    topcathr

topcathr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 limited
    try silicone spray.................

5. Jun 17, 2015 at 8:28 AM
    TacomaDave65

TacomaDave65 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma SR5 Magnetic Gray
    Got mine from WeatherTech as well for my 2015 Tacoma......and they have worked just fine. No problems here.

6. Jun 17, 2015 at 8:59 AM
    MGtaco2.7

MGtaco2.7 MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB 4X4 SR5 Silver Sky Metallic V6 AT
    My driver side is the same as OP, drivers door sash area is tighter than the passenger side. Also the drivers side deflector doesn't go up into the run channel as far as the passenger side either. Noticeably different even when walking around the truck.

7. Jun 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    Marosie

Marosie Active Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    WeatherTech Floor Mats, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Pop & Lock remote Tailgate Lock, Amp Research Bed Step, Side Step Bars, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Exhaust, Bonjovi Acoustics Amp, Salexorganizer Glove Compartment Organizer, Bar Caddy Centre Console Organizer, Toyota Hard Bed Divider (SOLD), Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover (SOLD), Access AA Battery LED Bed Light, SpiderTrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers. Undercover Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover, Dick Cepek Trail Country Tires (265/75/17), HomerTaco Mesh Grille, Readylift 3" front level with 2" rear lift, PrInSu Design Studio Roof Rack,
    I have a '15 with the WeatherTech's and didn't experience any issues,

Sorry to hear that

8. Jun 17, 2015 at 2:23 PM
    andyzx6r

andyzx6r Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD Sport
    Not the same but related. I ordered a set of EGR's they are on my door step now. Once I get home I will install them and let you know if there are issues with that brand.

9. Jun 18, 2015 at 12:57 PM
    andyzx6r

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD Sport
    So I have had mine in for 24 hours with no issues. Easy install. Per the instructions roll the window up and down 5 times to seat them. When doing this the window did not struggle. You can tell they are there but no motor struggles. Maybe you can convince them for a refund and try out EGR. I have no complaints. (in 24 hours) :fingerscrossed:

10. Jun 18, 2015 at 9:51 PM
    TRD_Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Thank you everyone for the replies. Sorry for the late response, I've been abnormally busy at work the last couple days. It's interesting to see some people have no problems, and others do. I'm starting to wonder if there's a variance in the way they build the windows or doors, assuming the Weathertech's are all cut the exact same.

I think I'm going to try this. I'm a little concerned though that after the silicone wears off, it'll go back to the way it is now.
    My two biggest worries with the window struggling are one, what kind of stress am I putting on the motor and window mounts, and two what happens when I decide to tint the window, will it scratch it?

Mine too. After writing this post I went out to my truck after work and the passenger side is working fine. Not even noticeable. My driver's side is the exact same, two days later. I'll update when I try the silicon spray.

11. Jun 19, 2015 at 6:06 AM
    andyzx6r

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Super White TRD Sport
    It will not scratch the tint. The tint is on the inside of the window and when the window is up the deflector touches the outside of the window.

12. Jun 19, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    what you are experiencing is normal. The plastic may be a little thicker or a tighter seal on the door, every vehicle is a little different. Often if you stop the window just below the deflector and pause for a second, then hit the button to go the rest of the way up it'll go better. Eventually it will go away, but could take some time. The weathertechs do seem to be a little heavier plastic, plus they cost much more. The cheaper ones work just as good as don't seem to have this problem as much. like another person stated, you added something into the channel where the window goes, and it takes time for it to conform to the restriction. That's the trade off of not getting the glue on ones, but the in-channels seem to hold up better and definitely are easier to install.

13. Jun 19, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    I get bogging down on all my cars ONLY at the last point of travel, where it's trying to wedge the glass and the plastic into the same channel. The worst is the reversing our Rav experiences.
    I just roll up the windows until they bump and don't try to force the glass all the way up. Like said above; a bit of a tradeoff if you don't want the glue on's.

14. Jun 22, 2015 at 7:39 AM
    TRDMountaineer

TRDMountaineer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ripley, WV
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC TRD Sport MGM 6-spd S/C
    TRD S/C, aFe Stage-2 Intake, Magnaflow 15315, Leer 100XQ w/ Tracker II Rack, General AT2 265/70R17, OEM skid, TRD FJ caps, Wet Okole Realtree seat covers, TRD grey shift knob, Weathertech floorliners, Weathertech window visors, Salex glove box+console organizers, Grid-It console lid mod, Lamin-X amber fogs, Craven Speed A-pillar phone mount, Debadged
    I just installed mine yesterday. Where I notice the bogging down is in the pic below, where the window first hits the edge of the visor. It's almost blocking the path of the window completely. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

15. Jun 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    Grind down the thickness of the visors, just the edges where the glass hit when rolling up. I had to do this for our van.

16. Jun 22, 2015 at 5:48 PM
    Burritoma

Burritoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SR5 V6 DCSB
    Yikes. I want a set of deflectors, and figured Weathertechs were the best based on their excellent floormats. I am glad I saw this thread before I pulled the trigger. I will have to do a more thorough search.

DJ IslandBoy likes this.
  17. Jun 23, 2015 at 7:27 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

EchoDeltaSierra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Nitro 4.88 gears OME suspension ST/Maxx 255/85R16s
    I installed the same on my 2010. Initially they were a bit rough, but the place I purchased them from told me to leave the windows rolled all the way up during a couple of hot days and they would eventually take form to my truck. They did exactly that and work find now. Also, if you're truck get taken on trails through the woods, these are great as they do not protrude from the vehicle and cause branch snag points.

18. Nov 26, 2015 at 12:38 AM
    TRD_Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    Hey all, I know I'm late to the party for a reply, but I found a FIX to my problem. After looking at the 2 front deflectors more closely, I noticed that the passenger side was "hugged" up to the top part of the door frame a little closer than the drivers side one was. The drivers side had just a slight bit more space showing on the top, starting at the upper right back corner, and showing forward more towards the side mirror. I ended up pushing the deflector forwards, towards the front of the door, and wedged it in the front part of the sill closest to the side mirror, along with pushing the rest of the deflector forward. After doing this, I rolled my window back up and it went smooth as butter. I left the window up for a good 48 hours to let it set, and I haven't had a problem since. That was about 4 months ago and still no issues. Hope this will help for others having the same problem.

fla_sun likes this.
  19. Nov 26, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    vtdog

vtdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    I put them on my '11 when it was new. It did bind a little at first, but that issue resolved itself after a short time. I don't know if the plastic wears, or the unit seats deeper in the channel, or what. It was fine within a few weeks. If you still don't like it, call Weathertech as they are the only ones who can resolve your problem.

20. Nov 26, 2015 at 10:47 AM
    fla_sun

fla_sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 4X4 AC 4.0 Auto
    Mine arrived and were installed on my 06 yesterday. The driver's side didn't seat in all the way like the passenger side. The windows slow down just like described.
    I will try some of the tips here, thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top