1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

WeatherTech window deflectors not fitting?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRD_Mike, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Jun 6, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    TRD_Mike

TRD_Mike [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport - Gray
    Testing reply function...

2. Jul 7, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Musubi3

Musubi3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead to provide my take and update to this. For me, I found a fix that worked. I installed my Weathertech in-channel visors for my windows and encountered the same problem. Rears are fine, but the front visors interfered with the window and struggled. Like the window would stutter going up that last couple inches.

Since they were the pop in place type, I took both of them out again and took a look at the visors. Both were visibly marred, towards the ends, where the window had been scraping. So, first thought was to sand it down. Long story short, I did just that. Work with heavy grit, then down to 600 grit.

I went back to the truck and tried refitting them. At the same time I started noticing that perhaps it wasn't the thickness of the plastic visors, but rather the location of where the plastic visor edge sits. Most of the scratching and marring of the visor was at the rear edge of the visor. I stuck my head to get a better view in the channel and made sure to seat the rear edge first, making sure to flush the plastic visor edge as far outwards that it could be seated, thereby leaving maximum room for the window to clear.

After seating the rear edge, I carefully tucked the remaining visor in, making sure to keep the rear channel seated where I left it. Window worked perfectly. No needing to let it sit for 12 hours.

Granted, sanding down the edges may have helped a bit (or not at all), but I really do believe it's the way the rear portion of the visor sits.

For those that said that the issues resolved over time, that was probably because the window slowly by slowly shaved off enough plastic to clear with minimal interference.

Anyways, hope this helps someone out there.

theolee and NMTrailRider like this.
  3. Jul 29, 2017 at 1:21 AM
    sundevilca

sundevilca Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    Hayward, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma Prerunner v6 DCSB
    taillights 2 - 10" Kicker Comp subs, JL tweeter and door spearkers 2 JL amplifiers unibrow weathertec mats and window channels

Thanks for the heads up. I bought a set of the avs then got a pair of these weather techs for my 2015 double cab and plan on installing them tomorrow morning. glad to know the sandpaper helped with the weathertechs

4. Jul 29, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    Musubi3

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    More than the sand paper, I think what was more effective was the placement of the edge in the window channel. Make sure it's seated as far out of the way as can be. Sanding doesn't hurt either. If the issue persists, remove the deflector and look at where it's wearing the plastic down. Modify/adjust and try again. Good luck!

5. Dec 14, 2017 at 1:41 AM
    Uki Monstah

Uki Monstah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richmond
    Maui 808 state
    Vehicle:
    2013 pyrite mica 4x4
    Performance: K&N cold air intake Flow master Duel exhaust Looks : Wet okole seat covers N-fab side steps 3" lift -bilsteins all around, OME coils, ICON uca, rear add a leaf spring Stealth custom series sr8 wheels wrapped with BFG Ko2 275/70/17
    I sanded down and tried to bend the visors so it doesn’t hug as much with a hot gun still no help, plus with me having my window go up and down so many times my window just stopped moving, seemed like the motor was giving out, so I literally ripped all the visor off and said FUCK IT!! wat a waste of a hundred buck

6. Dec 14, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    Musubi3

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    If I recall correctly, the instructions indicate to seat the front first, then work your way to the rear. The problem was with the rear part of the deflector. By the time I reached the rear part, it was practically impossible to adjust away from the window. So, I did the process backwards. I installed the rear first, sticking my head in the window channel to see that I'm seating the rear part as far away from the window. Then I worked forward. The shitty part is the front since getting in the front part is now harder, working backwards. I did this with both front windows. I don't think sanding down made as much of a difference as making sure the channel is seated as far away as possible.

Not sure if this helps any. Too bad I wasn't on Maui to help you.

7. Dec 14, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    rolltyd

rolltyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Overland Park, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Off Road 4x4 Hankook Dynapro ATM
    Any problem with them flying off in a brushless car wash? Curious. I would like some but I use the brushless and blow dry. Blow dry is damn powerful . Any problems?

8. Dec 15, 2017 at 3:49 AM
    Uki Monstah

Uki Monstah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richmond
    Maui 808 state
    Vehicle:
    2013 pyrite mica 4x4
    Performance: K&N cold air intake Flow master Duel exhaust Looks : Wet okole seat covers N-fab side steps 3" lift -bilsteins all around, OME coils, ICON uca, rear add a leaf spring Stealth custom series sr8 wheels wrapped with BFG Ko2 275/70/17
    It was only the driver side that gave me the problem everything else was fine

9. Dec 15, 2017 at 4:11 AM
    JimboAnz

JimboAnz #OldNorm

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimbo
    Charlotte (Cornelius) NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F'in Ranger
    Happy EGR in channel guy here. had mine for about 3 years. no issues. what I do notice however, is that the passenger side one has the faintest rattle when the window is down far enough to where it is not contacting the visor. i just think it is due to the design of the in channel visors, and once the window is out of the track, there is more wiggle room where it seats up in there.

10. Dec 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    Musubi3

Member:
    Big Island
    Vehicle:
    I've never been through one, but I can't imagine it going anywhere. When the windows are up, the glass almost clamps it into the window channel. I think the visor material would break before it flying out. My opinion though.

11. Apr 8, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    CP40

CP40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road 2020
    I just got a set of WeatherTechs and I'm having the same problems on the driver's window. The window goes up almost all the way but not quite. The flange pressed the window against the rubber sealant so that the window going up and down chewed up the rubber slightly. Installing them kind of chewed up the rubber at the bottom of the windowsill as well. I'll try to reseat them, but so far I'm pretty disappointed

12. Apr 9, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    EchoDeltaSierra

EchoDeltaSierra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road
    Nitro 4.88 gears OME suspension ST/Maxx 255/85R16s
    One of the first things installed when I got my 2020 (3rd gen) in October. They have survived a Minnesota winter, multiple car washes, and tree lined trails. Also had a set on my 2010 for quite a few years, and had no problem with fit or durability; sold the truck to a friend and they are still installed. Take the time to install them correctly and they seem to stay indefinitely.

theolee likes this.
  13. Apr 9, 2020 at 6:53 PM
    theolee

theolee www.nickleecreations.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 Tacoma SR5 Pre-Runner AC 4.0
    I love them, but I did have a small fitment issue with the drive side window. It would make a load sealed noise. I installed/reinstalled them as directed. Still I couldn't figure out why it wasn't fitting right. So I ended up taking it down. I examined the piece and noticed there were wear marks from where the window was rubbing. So I took some fine grit sandpaper to it, polished and reinstalled. It worked... It now has zero issues sharing the same channel with the window. These shields are durable and have not damaged a thing on my truck. Would definitely buy again.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    davidstacoma likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top