1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weesa's Next Great National Parks Adventure - NoDak & SoDak

Discussion in 'Travel' started by MTgirl, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Apr 15, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl [OP] too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    After finishing my National Parks blitz to Southern Utah last fall I've been itching to plan another trek to more of our National Parks. My employer recently revamped our vacation pay schedule and I have 40+ hours of vacation to burn between now and June 7th so I decided it was the perfect time to plan the next NP blitz. This time I'll be taking on Eastern Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and NE Wyoming at the end of May. I've got a route already planned out but if anyone knows of any cool places to visit along the way I'm open to suggestions.
    I'm planning on visiting:
    Bighorn Canyon NRA
    Bighorn Mountains/NF
    Devil's Tower NM
    Jewel Cave NM
    Wind Cave NP
    Custer State Park
    Black Elk Peak
    Crazy Horse NM
    Mount Rushmore NM
    Badlands NP
    Minuteman Missile NHS
    Roosevelt NP
    Makoshika SP
    Pompey's Pillar (maybe)
    Bighorn Battlefield NHS (maybe)

ndsd route.jpg

HomerTaco, NotRed and Quadabaum like this.
  2. Apr 16, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to seeing the awesome pictures from this trip. Extra vacation FTW!

MTgirl[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 16, 2018 at 3:55 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    There will be pics!

Hardscrabble[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    Hey Lisa,

Good to see you back doing your thing...your threads are about all i check on this site lately,
    so haven't seen you post in a while, was worried you had some health issues or met the sharp
    end of a bear...haha...

Enjoy the new adventure, looks like it will be epic.

Best,
    Paul

MTgirl[OP] likes this.
  5. May 1, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    Doublenickel

Doublenickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Out West
    Vehicle:
    2020 White Long bed 4 dr SR5
    I'm from South Dakota. I have been to the badlands area many times. Be sure to go through Badlands park. Check out Spearfish Canyon too. Stop in Wall Drug so you can say you have been there. There are signs all over the world saying how many miles it is to Wall Drug.

MTgirl[OP] likes this.
  6. May 1, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    SpaceTrim

SpaceTrim Well-Known Member

Member:
    SD
    Vehicle:
    1998, 2011, 2015, 2018 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Also from South Dakota, hey friend. Badlands national park is spectacular! I try to camp there a few times a year. If your up in spearfish canyon in the black hills (you should) community falls is a really cool little hike and more known only by locals. If it were me, I'd get fuel and an overpriced lunch in wall drug and head straight for the badlands...

MTgirl[OP] and Doublenickel like this.
  7. May 5, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Badlands is on the list - spending a couple of days there. Hoping to check out the minuteman missile site too

Have not heard of Spearfish Canyon but I'll investigate and see if I can add it to my route I love waterfalls so I will have to check out Community Falls too! Got 2 days in Badlands and 2 days in Custer State Park

Oh, and I'll probably be skipping Wall Drug. Don't really get into the whole tourist trappy things

8. May 5, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    Doublenickel

Member:
    Out West
    Vehicle:
    All the locals know Wall Drug is a tourist trap, as does anyone with a brain. Having said that, I secretly look forward to a walk through the Wall Drug compound and most locals would admit that too. It is an iconic spot in South Dakota with a ton of history and quircky stuff to see. I would be surprised if you didn't find something cool to photograph there! I shoot with a Canon 5D and wouldn't think of going to Wall without it. It is also kind of the gateway to the badlands area and a good place to stretch your legs after a long drive. The scenery only gets better once you pass Wall.

mr.trd and MTgirl[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  9. May 5, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    SpaceTrim

SpaceTrim Well-Known Member

Member:
    SD
    Vehicle:
    1998, 2011, 2015, 2018 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Where do you plan on staying the night? Staying at a hotel, camper, or tenting it? From the looks of your route spearfish canyon wouldn't be to far out of the way and you'll pass through pactola reservoir on your way into rapid! It's really pretty and you can't miss it. Nice spot to stretch the legs.

MTgirl[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. May 5, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    mchalk13

mchalk13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Rapid City Sd
    Vehicle:
    18 Cav blue TRD Pro
    There is a WHOLE lot of awesome places to visit in the Black Hills, looks like most of your trip is currently taking you to the southern hills and Spearfish Canyon is in the northern hills, I would highly recommend taking a look at the canyon as it is beautiful anytime of the year. if you could possibly spend a few days more here you would be amazed at some of the sights, and I'm not talking Mt. Rushmore or crazy Horse, both of which are impressive in their own right. There's Ice cave, bear trap cave and igloo cave all near wind cave (all of which you have to walk to but I would assume that wouldn't be a big issue.) Custer State Park of course to drive the wildlife loop and say hello to the cops, I mean burrows, (yes I do really mean burrows I am not one for disparaging police officers.) further North from there is Mystic and in that general area is a ruins of an old cabin that President Calvin Coolidge would visit anytime he was out here staying at the old Sylvan Lake Lodge (you should also go see that). About half a mile from there ( the old ruins) is a place called the hole in the wall, a group of miners blasted a mine shaft all the way through the mountain and the remnants of the old beds are still in there. Needles highway on the way to Rushmore with its 3 pig tail bridges. Flag Mountain near Deerfield Lake is one of the highest mountains in the area and is accessible by road all but the last 200-300 feet of which you again have to walk but its super easy. Its an old fire look out on top of the mountain and has a pristine view of the hills in all directions.

As far as food stuffs is concerned Sugar Shack on hwy 385 has some of the best burgers you will ever put in your mouth and Cousins right next door has GREAT pizza, if you are in to prime rib, Legends Steakhouse in the basement of the Franklin Hotel in Deadwood has the best prime this side of any where and will also make for about 2-4 meals in of itself depending on your appetite. There is Jambonz in Sturgis that has good Cajun cuisine and then the Bay Leaf and Leon's Creamery in Spearfish have great food and ice cream respectively and are a block or so from each other.

there is so so so much more to do here so please just ask. I have barely managed to describe the tip of the massive iceberg of things there are to do here.

lol also obviously I live here and have ventured far off the beaten path to mind cool and unique areas.

11. May 10, 2018 at 8:15 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Current plan is to leave from Badlands and head to Rapid City to resupply. Then down into the Custer State Park area for my reserved Jewel Cave tour. Then Wind Cave and Rushmore the next day with a drive thru the Needles Highway. Doubt it will be much fun with my top heavy Runner but it looks like a cool drive regardless. Might stay an extra day if I can because I want to hike to Black Elk Peak. The fire lookout there looks so cool! No reservations after my stay in Custer so I can do whatever really. And I figure I'll be running out of steam and needing a break from a ton of driving.

Know of any kinda out of the way campsites? I've got reservations at a CG for a couple nights bit if I stay more than that I'll be winging it. Happy to stay where ever really, just doing the CG thing so I don't have to waste any time hunting down a spot.

12. May 10, 2018 at 9:13 PM
    mchalk13

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Rapid City Sd
    Vehicle:
    18 Cav blue TRD Pro
    I'm not at a computer right now just my phone but I'll get more info to ya on Saturday, just didn't want you thinking I wasn't gonna respond

13. May 11, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    No worries! I appreciate the input, locals always know the good spots to see

Oh, what's the bug situation like out there this time of year? Do I need my screen tent in order to cook and eat in peace? I prefer to travel light at posibble

14. May 11, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    Doublenickel

Member:
    Out West
    Vehicle:
    Don't worry about the bugs.....they are only big enough to harm small children and the elderly. You should be fine with all of your immunizations up to date.

MTgirl[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. May 11, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    The Theodore Roosevelt National Park North Unit is worth the tiny detour to go north at Belfield 45 miles. The North Unit is way cooler than the South Unit(Medora). The to get back to Dickinson you can go from Grassy Butte to Killdeer and then south to Dickinson. I grew up in Grassy Butte so I know that area quite well. And for your photography fun, the "Old Post Office" in Grassy Butte is really cool. It is now a little tiny museum but the building itself is great to photograph. It is in lots of calendars of North Dakota. And 3 miles north of Grassy Butte on the land that I grew up on is now an Emu Farm. Kinda cool to see a bunch of Emu in North Dakota. If your in interested I can pin it on a map so you can see where it is. Only a couple hundred yards off the highway between Grassy Butte and the North Unit.

MTgirl[OP] likes this.
  16. May 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    o_O

:laser:

hoping to catch both units but I'm only camping one night. Hopimg to have the time to hike around the petrified forest area a bit. Any one place I shouldn't miss?

17. May 12, 2018 at 8:02 AM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    In the north unit a hike up Battleship Butte just inside the gate is a must for me every time I go back. Just a cool short hike. I think alot of it might be because of childhood memories of hiking it. We would always climb the face and it has been like 10 years since I have been there so it might even be shut down from going up the face. It is dangerous and we can't let people make their own decisions anymore. And the other really nice thing in the north unit is to make the drive through it and there is almost always lots of bison on or just off the road.

18. May 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME THAT THE FLINTSTONES VILLAGE IN CUSTER IS STILL OPEN!?!?!??! :angrygirl:

19. May 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM
    mchalk13

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Rapid City Sd
    Vehicle:
    18 Cav blue TRD Pro
    Sadly Flintstones village has closed. I know, sorry to burst that bubble. Now back to your question from a few days ago, I do not know to many out of the way campsites, I personally don't use the camp sites at all, usually find a good dirt road/ trial and make my way back up in there and find a quiet peaceful spot. That being said you can't really have a fire of any kind unless it is in the campsites so I always pack MREs, loved them when I was in the military and still love them now, (minus the breakfast vegie omelet, Satan called he wants his food back.) As far as bugs go, honestly they aren't to bad overall but just in case couldn't hurt to pack the screen if you can spare the cargo.

20. May 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM
    MTgirl

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    No Flintstones Village :pout:

To Top