1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weight distribution hitch on our Tacoma trucks?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by treejohnny, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    treejohnny

treejohnny [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACOR
    When I look at the Tundra it has towing higher towing weight capacity with WDH than without. I assume that this would be typical for all trucks. On our Tacoma there is only one rating for towing. Is this because the OEM hitch isn't strong enough to transfer the weight to frame or is the frame not strong enough to transfer the weight to front of truck?

2. Sep 3, 2017 at 1:45 PM
    airsavage

airsavage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Butch
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4x4 MGM, 2000 Prerunner
    A WDH does not increase the towing capacity of a truck. It transfers the weight back to the front of the tow vehicle for handling and braking, and transfers it back to the axles of the trailer for more stability

3. Sep 3, 2017 at 2:17 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    yea Tacomas weight cap. is small enough that going w. dist. is pointless. I suppose if you want to exceed it, it's worth doing to increase the safety of braking by utilizing the front wheels much more.

I pulled in excess by quite a bit 1 time, a dist. WOULD have helped but there was lots more in play than that. the whole truck flexed over to the passenger side pretty bad whenever an 18 wheeler passed on a 2 lane hwy. I was just outweighed by more than is safe.

4. Sep 3, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    treejohnny

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACOR
    I understand that the WDH takes weight off rear axle of tow vehicle, I understand it will not increase ability to pull weight.
    Will it legally allow for tongue weight of 800# instead of Toyota published 650#?

I found this info for adding a hitch to the 2016 Tacoma.
    Would I need to replace OEM hitch to have this 1200# capacity tongue weight with WDH?

Trailer Hitch x >

Draw-Tite Class III Max Frame Receiver Hitch - 2016 Toyota Tacoma
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Shown on 2016 Toyota Tacoma

Actual Photo
    Installation Difficulty:

3 out of 10

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

93 reviews

Code: 75238

Retail:$187.50

Our Price: $107.04

In Stock.

Trailer Hitch Size:

2 Inch Hitch Opening

Towing Capacity:

1050 Pound Tongue Weight

7000 Pound Towing

Weight Distribution Towing Capacity:

1200 lbs WD TW Pound Tongue Weight

8000 lbs WD GTW Pound Towing

Trailer Wiring:

2016 Toyota Tacoma Trailer Wiring

Features:

Fully welded vehicle trailer hitch is strong and durable. Draw-Tite's Tested Tough guarantee ensures that this hitch exceeds industry standards. The combination of an e-coat base and a powder coat finish provides excellent rust protection.

Installation Notes:

No drilling required for installation

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  5. Sep 3, 2017 at 3:43 PM
    treejohnny

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACOR
    I am looking at travel trailers and one of interest has 800# dry tongue weight with empty trailer at 5,000#. I would hope if I was to fill fresh water tank that should offset the heavy tongue weight. My concern is if I tow this empty am I legal?

Toyota published that my truck has 1295# of payload capacity and can tow 6500# with tongue weight of #650.
    Total weight truck and trailer capacity of 11360# and empty weight of 4305#.

So if I have trailer wet weight of 6255# and tongue of 790# and payload of 600# and WDH that weighs 100# and I can magically get WDH perfect, am I of legal weight?

This is a deep rabbit hole.....

6. Sep 3, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    I think it would exactly help that but you would still have the issue of a load whipping around a light truck and flexing it. Going at the maximum never feels safe if wind is playing a part.

7. Sep 3, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    Payload also includes driver and passengers

8. Sep 7, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    RandyRiot

RandyRiot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
  9. Sep 7, 2017 at 8:14 PM
    Blktre

Blktre Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Oz....
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White DCLB TRDOR: The White Goat
    Weight is weight. All a WDH does is even out the weight across all axles. It doesn't mean you can pull more weight above the trucks ratings. Can this decrease TW for legal reasons? Probably but why not just stay within your trucks limits then the law wont matter.

TOMRR likes this.
  10. Sep 11, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    treejohnny

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACOR
    Most of what I read about towing will say to use a weight distribution hitch whenever you are towing more than half of the weight of the tow vehicle. That means when towing over 2100# we should use the WDH on our Tacoma.

Since Toyota does not publish a weight for a WDH, will I twist the hitch/frame by using a WDH to take weight off of the rear axle?

11. Sep 11, 2017 at 2:34 PM
    Capt Jrod

Capt Jrod Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    15 WHITE DCSB 4x4 TRD SPORT
    The trailer you describe will be too heavy for a taco. The weakness is the rear axle load for our trucks. There are some great threads on here to help. I have a Camp Lite 21RBS camper. #400 on the tongue, #3600 dry. Door jamb says 6500# rating and 11000# for the total rig... Should be all green lights right? Nope. I can be within "spec" empty, but the tongue weight is very sensitive. I use a husky centerline WDS hitch. These hitches help to put the weight back on the front axle and help with steering and braking. The problem we encounter is the additional weight in the trailer and bed of the truck. I have a topper, so that adds in. Generator, firewood, bikes, food, water, clothes? all adds up. Weight distribution is the key. The camper you describe is already too much before you load it.
    Don't get me wrong, the truck will do it, but if it gets squirrely you can't get it back under control. You also need to consider how far and what the terrain looks like. I get away with my camper, but I wouldn't go cross country through the mountains. Trailer brakes are very necessary. I also never fill the water tank when underway.
    Camper salesmen never do a formal weight sheet, they say the truck can pull 6500 and the trailer weighs 4500... You're good to go sign here. Camper manufacturer's are obsessed with making the sticker read the lowest weight. Hope some of this helps.
    http://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    tacoDNA, OldShu, mosquitoTaco and 3 others like this.
  12. Sep 11, 2017 at 10:15 PM
    Ruggybuggy

Ruggybuggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW ONT, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SX

No you will not bend or twist the frame using a WDH on a Tacoma. I pull around 3500lbs with my Tacoma using a WDH. The WDH will allow you to control the trailer weight better, helps with keeping the truck level and stops the center pivot bounce.

13. Sep 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    Blktre

Blktre Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Oz....
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White DCLB TRDOR: The White Goat
    Looking at the Husky Centerline TS. What rating WDH should I get?

14. Sep 12, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    Capt Jrod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    depends on the trailer. etrailer is pretty good with customer service, give them a call

Blktre likes this.
  15. Sep 14, 2017 at 5:43 AM
    treejohnny

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACOR
    Capt Jrod,

The first video was awesome and should definitely be a sticky in this towing section!!
    This does a great job of showing the differences and explaining where the weight goes.

The second video I have seen a few times and is great.

At this time I am still looking for a trailer and trying to find one that is 'light enough'.
    I will get what I hope will work for me and my truck, I still imagine that I will still be close to the published weight capacity of my truck. I will tow the trailer empty and see how that works. If I don't feel safe I will trade truck in on Tundra or F150 when and if that happens. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open for a 'cheap' dirtymax.

16. Sep 14, 2017 at 5:54 AM
    Capt Jrod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    RE: Treejohnny, Look at Camp Lite by Living Lite. Try to find one made prior to 2016. I have a 21RBS that is the max that I like to pull with my taco. The 16 with tandem axle is ideal. They are more expensive than other mug's but the build quality is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IvdfjtbfXQ

In 2014 Thor bought out camp lite. They have now done away with the aluminum floor and roof. Slowly but surely they are taking away what made them great, that's why you want a 2015 or older.

17. Sep 14, 2017 at 6:02 AM
    treejohnny

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 ACOR
    I have seen those. I have actually been leaning more towards the quick silver toy hauler side. It seems as though we prefer the floor space. atleast until we get another toy....

We are currently working with ATC toyhauler to get some prices on custom built trailer. This will allow me to keep the tongue weight where I want it by moving the axles. It is a long process!

I have ideas of batteries and solar additions as well, so the weight distributing of the trailer is much harder.

18. Sep 14, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    Capt Jrod

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Northern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    ATC was my recommendation for toy haulers. They picked up where Livin' Lite left off. If you are going the toy hauler route then weight and balance is a bigger deal. My enclosed trailer is a very sensitive machine when it comes to the tongue weight.

Products Discussed in

To Top