1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weights for truck bed

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Sgt.Tee, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Dec 5, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    CusterFan

CusterFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Silver Sky 2019 Tacoma SR, AC, 4X2, 2.7
    Guess I don't know what "pres and seal" is.
    Velcro? My TruXedo Lo Pro had that down both side rails.

Edit. Never mind I'm looking on the web site now.

2. Dec 5, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Working on them
    I do the Same I tie the tube Sand bags in behind the wheel wells next to the tailgate (30 on each side) and Yes it makes a good improvement for traction. Just make sure you secure them good and do not use things like concrete block or any other solid objects because in an event (I hope you never have) of a full stop from hitting something the blocks can become a Projectile that can and will go right thru the bed of the truck thru the cab metal and seat ..... well you know the human back is not that strong.....

tonered likes this.
  3. Dec 5, 2018 at 4:31 PM
    GreenYoda

GreenYoda Well-Known Member

Member:
    The EZ way to weigh down the back of the truck is to just buy gas. With 4wd I don't think the weight makes much difference. The front "Axel" has the weight of the engine to give it the traction needed. I have never needed weight in the back. I recommend waiting for the first storm and see how it handles.

tonered likes this.
  4. Dec 5, 2018 at 4:37 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing

Until I find a rear bumper that will still incorporate the BSM properly, it's staying until I rip it off... :(

BUT for the tailgate draggin, glad it does as it protects that plastic bumper crap... I plan on getting something like this though real soon.

[​IMG]

Extra step (that's easier to clean than the plastic step pad) will reduce how the hitch catches on rocks, and adds some rear end protection for idiots at the mall that park by feel and this one's design also lets it be used as a recovery point.

Heck even if I do find the perfect rear bumper I might put that thing on it too.

tonered[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Dec 5, 2018 at 4:56 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    The stock Kevlars I've heard from multiple people are not good in snow and only adequate off road.
    The stock Toyo's that were on the Sport were pretty good in the snow but not a good winter tire IMHO. And unless it's a fire trail, don't talk about off-road.

The traction and stability control did an excellent job of hiding how bad the stock tires are on and off road.

I switched to Duratracs and it was like the truck was glued to the road in comparison the to stock tire in rain, snow and off-road.
    I've heard from quite a few people here that the Wildpeak AT3W's are great in the rain, snow and off-road also just "glued to the road" also.
    I know both those tires are nice and quiet for how aggressive they look.
    Once I switched tires... never even considered adding ballast any more. :)

That "ballast box" pictured above, is the most common way that I see people put sand or salt in the back of their truck and it's easily removable and works great.

6. Dec 5, 2018 at 5:15 PM
    Big tall dave

Big tall dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elora, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD OR DCLB
    ^^What he said. I went to an accident once where one of the concrete patio stones (pavers) that the guy had in the bed for weight/traction, went through the back window of the cab. Luckily it didn’t take his head off.

7. Dec 5, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Look at the Lund Genesis specifically. Instead of velcro, it has a double lip rubber seal that snaps in like Tupperware. It takes a few tries to get used to, but once you figure it out, you can walk along the side pressing it in about as fast as velcro, but never losing stregth or growing mold (Pacific Northwest).

Yeah! A person on that trip had a hitch shovel on their jeep. Friggin' neat. I was just being a dumb guinea pig over a test gate. We found the high spots! LoL!

No BSM here.

The Toyos are decent. Full stop. I would never buy them.

I have heard that Duratracs are crap in the wet though?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  8. Dec 5, 2018 at 5:50 PM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it is weird I cannot find any video's on that cover. I was wanting to see how that press and seal worked.

9. Dec 5, 2018 at 6:12 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    I can post some pics in a bit.

CusterFan[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 5, 2018 at 6:28 PM
    RocTaco

RocTaco Free stun!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Green Mtns
    Vehicle:
    03' Reg. Cab 4x4 5MT
    Ive found my particular set up to be remarkably well balanced. Empty parking lot, few inches of snow and sleet, press the TRAC button for 5 seconds while stopped. Nice controlled drifts, hold the steering wheel and right foot sets the yaw rate.

11. Dec 5, 2018 at 7:02 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    I've only got about 6k miles on mine so far and we've had a lot of rain this year. I've been happy and confident with them.

Did all this "seat of the pants testing" without heating up the tires from driving. Tested from a standstill.
    I have a MT and with traction control right off
    I could spin the stock Toyo tires no problem dry, wet no problem without even trying.
    Duratracs on a dry day I can spin the rear tires half as much as the Toyo's by making the engine work a lot harder. On a good wet day I can make them spin easily when I really dump the clutch and stomp on it. They have only activated the VSC when I go around corners and give 'er. You know where in older trucks you where having fun drifting the rear end going around a corner.

In wet snow last winter. My wife's VW bug was imobile, no way could we even move it in the driveway a foot because of this icy wet snow. My old Ranger Truck with 4 Toyo Tires could move in 4x4 mode but it also had a service cap on it. Still super greasy on the road. Threw my tools and stuff in the Tacoma and drove around town at regular posted speeds and turned the traction control off so I could have some fun at least.
    No ballast in the back. I do have a Backrack, sliders and a bedcover in my truck adding weight though.

I'd buy Duratracs again, or the AT3W's as I'm hearing rave reviews about them. Some swear by Ko2's also.

Lol won't hijack this thread with tires, (no spank or slap me Smilies?) but will go back wo the topic to just say,

Probably don't need the ballast and would be better off with just better tires.

If you do use ballast make sure it is well strapped down, even the ballast rack, if you use sand or salt bags cut a slit in the top so the contents don't come out easily but that the bag WON'T hold together if it became a projectile during an accident.

If you've ever seen some accident videos you'll see that what is in the back get fired out as fast as the truck was going as, or sometimes faster in some scenarios.

LOL even a can of beer at 60mph is gonna give someone one hell of a hangover!

Firewood without a really good net in the back is equivalent to ;

[​IMG]

12. Dec 5, 2018 at 7:27 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Thanks for the review. You experience with the Toyos sounds just like mine.

I will take another look at the Duratracs. I'm hoping to get some by the end of next summer unless the Toyos really go away this winter.

My main targets are wet handling and improved traction offroad.

13. Dec 5, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Sorry. My phone is near death. I will get some pics in the morning. My apologies!

14. Dec 5, 2018 at 7:30 PM
    CusterFan

Member:
    Southeastern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    That is o.k. I saw pictures doing a Google search. Just find it odd I cannot find a youtube video on that tonneau cover. I'm going to get the soft fold Extang Trifecta anyhow I believe.

15. Dec 5, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    :cheers:

I think it is still sort of a new design. They should get some vids out to highlight it more.

Just for a description. You get the upper blade in the rail, then snap in the lower retaining strip. These are continuous along the three sides. Once you get the hang of it, you can walk along sliding your thumb to lock it in which adds tension also.

It is almost perfectly sealed other than the stock bed gaps. I recently added the Rok Blocks seals to keep the fine summer dust out.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  16. Dec 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    Use sand, but put it in a continer you can open. That way you have something with grit to throw out under the tires if stuck.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    tonered likes this.
  17. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:33 PM
    GreenYoda

GreenYoda Well-Known Member

Member:
    I do run duratracks. Good on pavement, in the snow, and when new good on wet roads. There almost done now, 50,000+ miles later. Still good on pavement and in the snow. But on wet roads, if your on the gas going around a corner, its EZ for the rear axel to start sliding. It doesn't even take much on the throttle to get a wheel sliding. The traction control helps some, but it slides for a little while before the traction control does anything.

18. Dec 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM
    Blue taco 84

Blue taco 84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Newhampshire
    Vehicle:
    Blue double cab long bed trd off-road
    Ac drain mod the bank still owns it lol are top and weather techs and carhart seat covers
    I used sand last year but this year I got 2 bags of gravel

19. Dec 9, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    Wasatchrider

Wasatchrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tonneau cover rope shovel usually a pair of skis works for me

20. Dec 9, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    BlakeM

BlakeM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Gonzales, LA
    Vehicle:
    2023 T4R.SR5.4WD.OMG.LOL.WTF
    We rarely ever get snow down here, but we do have some asshole drivers. Pretty much every place has asshole drivers.
    I like the rocket launcher solution. It’s great if you need to weight the back of your truck and also if you need to clear a path of asshole drivers out of the way.

15EFB841-7DD8-4D70-AE60-1C3B6CA58947.jpg

Now I can sell you one of these bad boys for a mere $675,000 USD. But wait, there’s more. If you buy today, and today only, I’ll throw in another pair of rockets for FREE. Just pay the additional processing fee.
    Mods, I apologize if this violates the BST rules. I know this has been a problem lately.

Coolerman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top