1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird (i think tranny) noise,under truck louder

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chrisjshaw, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Jun 27, 2022 at 4:25 PM
    chrisjshaw

chrisjshaw [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Vehicle:
    2015 taco prerunner 2 wheel drive 4 door sr5
    none
    Hi Guys, Hope someone can please help or assist.
    21015 taco v6 pre-runner sr5 with (tow package)approx. 100,000,miles from new 1 owner.
    Just drove it across country and got oil changed before(Florida)then in California for return trip.
    Correct oil and weight and ran flawlessly the whole trip, absolutely perfect, never missed a beat.
    About a week ago it started to make a very light rubbing noise, almost sounded like the ac fan was on the next higher setting, its not the fan as i turned it off, but that's the type of noise.

I changed the oil again as it was 5,000 miles and hoped it would quieter down but it remained.
    Oil was about 3/4 of a quart low???. always a new filter changed at 5k (5-30 semi synth after 60k, and on ).
    No warning lights or anything, just a regular change ,I'm 57 yr old and this truck has never been over 3k revs always driven like its my last one.
    Its most noticeable when taking your foot off the gas pedal, and letting it run on without gas.
    I missed the tranny oil change as i thought i read somewhere that it was sealed, I've had 3 tacos in the past and never changed the trans fluid ever and got over 200000 on all (that's a lame excuse i know but it was what happened).
    Any one any ideas ,im a pretty good parts changer but not so good on trannys, plenty of motorcycle experience etc.
    Its only just a few degrees cooler than Hades ,in my my garage at the moment(Florida),so will do what ever is necessary if i have too, can also take a video on the i-phone if that will help.
    The dealer wants $150 just to listen to it.
    $300 for the fluid change.
    Any ideas cheers in advance, Chris.

tacotoe likes this.
  2. Jun 27, 2022 at 4:36 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    The transmission fluid absolutely can and should be changed.
    Have you ever changed the differential gear oil?

Geeves77 likes this.
  3. Jun 27, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    chrisjshaw

chrisjshaw [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Vehicle:
    2015 taco prerunner 2 wheel drive 4 door sr5
    none
    No m8,
    Thanks for the reply,
    Not from new, but the lube shop in California showed me a sample and said it was fine.
    I can defo do that,but its the front noise im worried about.
    Planning a trip to Colorado in 1 month and am working my way thru it until this weird noise started.
    How long does the diff oil last,my bikes last a long time???.

4. Jun 27, 2022 at 6:58 PM
    TnShooter

TnShooter The TacomaWorld Stray

Member:
    First Name:
    Deogee
    Vehicle:
    07' TRD Off-Road, Auto
    STOCK
    If you don’t tow, it last longer.
    But I’d recommend not waiting longer than 50k. Some say you should do it sooner, and I won’t argue that fact.

Sure some people go longer, like never change it, but $40 is cheap compared to a new differential.
    All you’ll need is a 24mm socket.

Products Discussed in

To Top