1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird Noise After Turning On A/C

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by justin144, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Apr 24, 2012 at 10:17 PM
    justin144

justin144 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4X4 Dbl cab Long Bed
    I've got a 2011 Tacoma with 15,000 miles and I've noticed that sometimes when I turn on the A/C, I'll hear a noise coming from under the hood; Sounds like it's on the passenger side. It doesn't happen every time though.. It sounds like the noise you hear when you scrape the mud flap on a speed bump. It's definitely related to the A/C. Any ideas?:confused:

2. Apr 24, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    TACK

TACK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD Off-Road MGM
    Bilstein 5100s at 1.75", Level 8 Tracker wheels, white lithium grease mod for creaky clutch pedal
    Mine does it too. It's an atrocious noise.

Other people have said the same, so I think it's common. Something about the way the a/c compressor's oil settles to the bottom so it's dry on initial startup.

3. Apr 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    ummm my buddies 08 did that when there was mud all over the radiator? probably not the same thing though

4. Apr 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Lots of info here and here. Best of luck.

Frank

5. Jun 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM
    3beeps

3beeps New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD 4x4 DoubleCab Long Bed
    I know this thread is a couple months old, but mine does the same thing. Its right after I start it up and throw the A/C on.

Mine sounds like its coming from below me on the drivers side...

I have a 2012 Tacoma TRD with only 1500 miles on it :(

6. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    comatosed

comatosed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD Sport
    TRD roof rack, Roof Basket, Weather Tech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Eclipse AVN726E dvd/nav, kicker door speakers, 8" kicker sub & amp, fox 2.0 coil overs, moab 2.0 front bumper, Full CBI Skid Set, CBI Offroad rear Bumper, CBI Sliders, BFG AT KO 2, Leer Topper setup for camping. Other mods-full synthetic, carbon filter, de-badged, center console lock.
    This happened to my 2010 with low miles I brought it to the dealer they changed my belt because it looked worn? 10k miles and a worn belt for no reason? I told them I sometimes smelt burning rubber and that a bearing or something was seizing, they didn't listen and couldn't replicate the noise. Putting the new belt on did keep it quiet for about 5k. Now it still happens every so often but I never smell burning rubber. I'm out of the 30k warranty but my truck came with a 7 yr 100k dealer warranty hopefully that covers this.

7. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    just the sound of the compressor engaging. lets see if i can replicate it with letters. . . waaarrrRRCK. when you start your truck and turn on a/c at high idle. im sure it is designed to handle this because it will handle turning on at highway speeds right?

i always wait till it idles down a bit. 88,000 miles and belt and a/c work fine

8. Sep 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Same here on my '08.

Start the engine, then give it a few to idle down before engaging the AC.

I have noticed that I don't notice the noise if the AC is on when I start the engine.
    It's only when I start it and then hit the button.

9. Sep 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Don't kid yourself.

I had an 06 4 banger 2wd and had a brain fart going up a steep hill at 5000 RPM and turned on the a/c. Big mistake. Made the most god awful noise you have ever hear. That was at about 28,000 miles. Stopped by the dealer said the a/c had a funny sound to it.:D Actually sounded incredibly bad. They took a look at it and he told me it grenaded with metal shavings all inside the whole a/c system. They covered it under warranty no problem. All said and done the guy told me it was like a $4500 job.:eek: Only ended up lasting about a year and stopped working again after that.

10. Sep 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    Bajatacoma

Bajatacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Off-Road, SR5, 6 speed
    Sometimes it's just crap in the fan. Open the fresh air filter door behind the glove box and check for pinestraw, etc. in the squirrel cage.

Products Discussed in

To Top