1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird Noises from my Tacoma...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by veet skeet, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    veet skeet

veet skeet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    14 4Runner Trail Edition MGM
    Bilstein 5100s, 17' Method NV Race Wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17, Demello Sliders, Xenon/LEDs All Around, Dark Window Tint, Gobi Roof Rack (In the Mail), JL Audio Subs, Alpine Speakers and Amps
    Just got bilstein 5100's installed in the front and rear. Front is set at 2.5', stock UCA's. The noise sounds like metal grinding/rubbing against metal and only happens when I am coasting at a slow speed or braking to a stop. Also makes noise coming out of a stop going at a slow speed. When I am at city or high way speeds, there is no sound. Any idea what this could be?

2. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Get a diff drop, check ur bearings.

3. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s, 17' Method NV Race Wheels, Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/17, Demello Sliders, Xenon/LEDs All Around, Dark Window Tint, Gobi Roof Rack (In the Mail), JL Audio Subs, Alpine Speakers and Amps
    What does a diff drop do for you?

4. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Toyota Tech31 Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    Did you double check that the backing plates for the brakes arent rubbing on the rotors? usually noticable at slow speeds, but not when going faster.

5. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:25 AM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    No I have not. I don't know what sound that makes, but I know that it's not a screeching sound. It sounds like metal going up against metal. I haven't gotten my alignment yet, going to get it today. I don't know if that will make the sound go away or not tho. Probably not. My wheels right now are \---/ instead of being straight up and down like l---l

6. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Air Raid air intake, 40 Series Flowmaster Muffler, Front Turn Signals Now Turn And Park, KENWOOD HEAD UNIT W/ ALL KENWOOD SPEAKER UPGRADES AND 2-10" KENWOOD SUBS BEHIND BACK SEAT, Bilstein 5125'S In Rear W/ 1.5 AAL'S, Bilstein 5100 W/ Eibachs Up Front, LR Upper control arms, NFAB steps, Bruteforce Fab Hybrid front bumper, LP10000 SuperWinch, 2 Rigid Industries SRM-2's, OKLedlightbars 6 CREE LED lights as fogs, AVID RBG, 2 4" red ring HIDs mounted behind the grille.
    it makes a sound like what you are descirbing, i have seen plenty of techs do suspension work and accidentally bend the backing plates and create that kind of noise, its an easy fix if thats what it is

7. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    When they were installing my front shocks, the guy used a pole to move something down to get the shock and coil out. Maybe that could've cause something to bend? How do you fix the backing plates problem? Could it be a loose brake pad?

8. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    first, if it were a loose brake pad you would have some serious problems. but as for the backing plates, take the truck somewhere quiet, fiure out if its the left or right, or both, then reach through the wheels with your hand or some sort of long screwdriver or prybar type thing and slowly push back on the plate all around and drive it again, you may have to do this a couple times, but it usually works just fine.

9. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like a brake part is loose or brakes are gone. Pull your front wheels and inspect the struts and pull the rotors and check your brakes.

10. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    If a backing plate/brake pad is loose or bent, how does it get fixed? I am pretty sure now that it has something to do with one of the two, but I don't know exactly what happened and how to remedy.

11. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    i already explained how to work on the backing plate, and unless a bolt was left out or something crazy, i dont see how the pads could be "loose"

12. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:48 AM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    Maybe the pads or something else are bent? Sorry if I sound like a total noob but I am when it comes to mechanical stuff.

13. Sep 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    extremely hard to bend a brake pad, and yes, the backing plate may be bent, but its an easy fix. i have been trained over the years to be able to listen to a customers desciption of the problem or noise and figure it out as quick as possible. your concern sounds like the backing plate, i could always be wrong, but this is my personal experience. however, if a shop installed them, u should take it back there and make them fix it, it wasnt there before the install and shouldnt be there now.

14. Sep 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    ok let me try lol
    sounds under the truck are like drama queens, a lot of noise about nothing so its probably not a bolt or anthing serious. there is a large plate behind the front brake drum thats kinda like a big shield, and its pretty easy to bend and manipulate. it could have been easily bent while getting the 5100s installed and not known that they got bent. like Toyota Tech said, go to a quiet area where you can try to determine left or right front wheel or both. take a long screwdriver or something and push the plate back away from the actual brake drum and drive it again. you may have to do this a few times.
    try this and get back to us.

15. Sep 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    Here's what I was thinking. Take it back to the place I got the lift installed and then have them take the tires off and bend the plates back to normal. Would that solve the problem for good?

16. Sep 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You're getting too far ahead of yourself. Go back to that shop and tell them you think something went wrong with the install and let them check for you. Then when they see that you are running on the brake squealers, you will know what to do.:D

17. Sep 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    ^ Okay, well I was planning on having them check out everything and look for anything that is out of whack or whatever needs fixing. Then after I gotta go in for alignment.... So much stuff that you have to do after messing with suspension stuff... Oh well at least it makes the truck look better :D

18. Sep 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    Toyota Tech31

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Debary, Florida
    Vehicle:
    '08 SWB Bad ass SPORT
    Well, either way, try to get back to us and let us know what they find, i am very interested to see if it is just a backing plate or what, thanks!!!

19. Sep 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    So I just talked to my mechanic about my issue, and he states that the sound is coming from a rock or dirt being caught in between the brakes, causing the grinding metal on metal sound. Does this sound valid? How do I get rid of this sound.

20. Sep 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    veet skeet

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    Also. He states that it's not serious at all. I don't know if thats what the real cause of the sound is tho. Maybe the rotors? Hmmm...

Products Discussed in

To Top