1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Westin Sportsman Brush Guard Install on 2014 Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MustDrive, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Nov 25, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    MustDrive

MustDrive [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '14 White Off Road, 6-Speed, Double Cab
    Nothing major planned, this is my daily driver. - replaced stock tires with Cooper AT3s - added Husky WeatherBeater floor mats - installed Access Original bed cover - installed Gentex 453 mirror and the included external temp sensor, also has Homelink and auto-dim - installed ImMrYo mirror bracket - hose clamp mod and washer mod to secure tailgate, with a GateKeeper lock installed over the hose clamp - replaced stock reverse lights with Philips Halogen 30w from Home Depot GY6.35 base
    I recently installed a Westin Sportsman brush guard (part 40-1605). It's main purpose is to reduce the chances of radiator damage after a deer hit. We recently had an $11,000 deer hit on our other truck, and the damaged radiator stranded us far from home. I do not care if the guard might spread the body damage from a small hit, and I like that the factory crumple zones will still absorb a truly huge collision as this guard will bend back and fail.

It is rock solid and does NOT vibrate when driving. I am very pleased with my choice. The black finish looks good, and I like how the back of the vertical sections are contoured to match the lines of the truck.

The brackets are very thick: the bottom brackets are 1/4" thick and the top brackets are 3/8" thick. The most visible bolts and nuts which attach the front end of the top brackets to the guard are entirely black, to match the black finish. These contours, brackets and bolts are shown in the 3rd picture below.

The instructions list the required tools, and are incomplete. In addition to the wrench and socket sizes mentioned, I also needed 17mm and 19mm sockets to fit the included nuts.

Many of the holes in the mounting brackets are actually ovals to allow position adjustment. This gives a lot of flexibility in guard location, including how far it is from the bumper. I wanted the guard to be fairly close to the bumper, yet not touching.

To accomplish this I loosely bolted the guard to its brackets, then sandwiched two small wood blocks between the backs of the vertical guard sections and the top of the bumper front edge. These wood blocks were temporary spacers which could be pushed against the painted bumper without damaging anything. I had my son press the guard against these blocks as I tightened the bolts and torqued them. After removing the blocks I had about a half-inch of space between the back of the guard and the front of the bumper.

I took a few pictures of my installation.

IMG_3917-noPlate_125bb20938eca5184da683eb3de0a38531a92d51.jpg

IMG_3919-noPlate_d1a707591420c2747878295fa3cdeec1b6711bdd.jpg

IMG_3918-noPlate_e855e44decf33425c06b3d3f5a5913b9ec88a7ea.jpg

2. Nov 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Nice what's the finish warranty. I know in mass that thing will rust out quick after any rock chips etc etc etc.

3. Nov 25, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    ArmyRetired

ArmyRetired Member

Member:
    2in Lift
    Question: how much space do you have from the front edge of the hood to the top bar that runs horizontal to the hood? I have the OEM bug guard on the hood, wondering if it's going to hit the top bar of the guard?

4. Nov 25, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    3rail

3rail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Amish Country
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma Sport AC (Inferno Orange)
    TRD wheels and Nitto tires, TRD Pro grille, exhaust, CAI, skid PL & shift knob. OEM Audio Plus 450Q sound system upgrade.
    Looks good. Westin makes a good product. I hope the finish holds up for you as sometimes they fade off pretty quick. I had a Westin bull bar on my Tundra that needed to get powder coated after 2 years.

I wish I would have had that yesterday when I hit a very large 8 pointer dead center on the front bumper of my new TACO. I launched him over the guardrail and down a hill into a creek. The SOB actually got up and disappeared into the woods.

My Sport was 4 weeks old yesterday with 450 miles on it.......cracked grille, bumper cover, headlights and a few trim pieces. My passenger fender was pushed out and the hood would not open....the passenger headlight was pointing towards the radiator. No mechanical damage that I could see. I am still sick about it.

My son's a ASEC Toyo Master Tech. My dealer has a good auto body shop that I trust. He took the truck last night and I told him I do not want to see it until it is fixed. He took pics for the insurance company and posterity.

Donald

5. Nov 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM
    MustDrive

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Nothing major planned, this is my daily driver. - replaced stock tires with Cooper AT3s - added Husky WeatherBeater floor mats - installed Access Original bed cover - installed Gentex 453 mirror and the included external temp sensor, also has Homelink and auto-dim - installed ImMrYo mirror bracket - hose clamp mod and washer mod to secure tailgate, with a GateKeeper lock installed over the hose clamp - replaced stock reverse lights with Philips Halogen 30w from Home Depot GY6.35 base
    Unchained_5150: 5 years warranty against manufacturer defects in several things including the word "finish", excluding damage caused by gravel, etc. Seems reasonable. I plan to touch it up as needed. Since taking the pics, I have painted the 3 big bolts visible in the 3rd picture where the guard attaches to its brackets. I used spray primer then flat black in that bolt area - took lots of masking tape and newspaper. Mainly done for cosmetics, those zinc-colored bolt heads were ugly in the middle of all that black metal.

ArmyRetired: The smallest gap is just over 2" from the closest (lower) edge of my chrome upper grill piece to the lower of the 2 horizontal top bars of the guard. You could make this larger via the adjustment range in the initial installation - just have the entire guard be more vertical and less leaned-back towards the grill (see my section on the wood blocks).

3rail: I'll keep it touched up with black paint as needed (probably a car touchup kit with the tiny brush). Sorry to hear about the deer, I hate them, we have them all over where I live, I saw 4 of them a few hours ago out my living room window. Our deer hit took 3.5 weeks to fix our 2006 Lexus GX470 including waiting for parts. Work was done at a great Ford dealer far from our house but near the site. State Farm gave us their name, and has them in their "Select Service" body shop program (meaning those are great body shops - and they were - it is like new). We got a new radiator, battery, and entire front end body and paint all on a 120,000 mile truck - a mid-life upgrade out of the stress.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  6. Nov 27, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    DaBigDogg

DaBigDogg "Say when..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Mid-Suffolk, LINY
    Vehicle:
    '22 MGM DCLB TRD OR
    Can you remove the headlight guards? I really like the look of the push bumper but don't like the coverage extending to the headlights. Looks great though!

7. Nov 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM
    MustDrive

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yes and no.

Yes: the thin headlight guard bars inside of the thicker outer bars are removable, though I have not done that. These 3 thin bars are one assembly (per side) which attaches to the thick outer bars with black bolts with allen heads, separated from the thick outer bars with small black spongy "gaskets".

No: the main thick bars protecting the headlights are welded on.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  8. Nov 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM
    jboudreaux1965

jboudreaux1965 Ragin Cajun Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Joseph
    Hub City
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport

Westin products are great! look great, really tough, pretty much all i have used for the last 15 years! they started out in Australia making guards for cars and trucks that run highways. over there apparently they have a big problem with kangaroo's (i think thats how ya spell it) jumping in front of headlights at night like deer do over here. good choice!

9. Nov 28, 2014 at 12:04 AM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    Looks good I like it, nice choice in your tires as well,..

10. Nov 28, 2014 at 5:08 AM
    urbncby

urbncby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    '20 TRD Off-Road
    Ironman 4X4 Foam Cell Pro stage 2, 33” MT’s, Victory 4x4 winch bumper.
    Looks good.

11. Nov 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    Kevinztaco

Kevinztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    none yet
    I have one like yours but in stainless steel . It is my opinion that unless you upgrade those two flimsy upper brackets to withstand the force of the impact of hitting a deer, I highly doubt it would get you back home. Hitting a turkey, you'll be ok. Hitting a deer, that damn thing will crumple like noodles.

12. Nov 28, 2014 at 4:52 PM
    Marcoc

Marcoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    I just ordered the Weston Max winch mount that bolts up to the frame. Supports up to a 12,000 lbs winch. As well as a TMaxx EW8500 winch with synthetic cable on sale for black Friday. Everything for $600 shipped! Here are a few pictures, not on my truck.

phpVSqJ8d.jpg
    46-21605.jpg

13. Nov 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    SabMotocross

SabMotocross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Santa Fe, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 DCSB V6 TRD S/C
    TRD BAJA Suspension...Rims and tires, blackout badging, TRD oil filler cap, front skid plate, N-Fab step bars, GrillCraft custom upper and lower grills. K&N air filter, TRD Supercharger.
    I like it, although I am not fond of hanging stuff off the front end....BUT...deer are a problem around here too, and I often wonder if I should invest in some additional front-end protection.

I think the install, fit and finish look appealing....Good Job!

Products Discussed in

To Top